Bark shoes... WOOF!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I picked these up in Russia in December... I have worn them out a bit in the woods so they're a little grubby but I figure someone may be inspired by them and wish to have a go...

bark_slippers.jpg

Joe

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Nice!

Quite different from the traditional Scandinavian birch bark shoes. Is it linden or willow bark?

At least the Scandinavian ones was usually worn in winter, as waterproof (they were tigther and higher than those in the photo) and cheap shoes. They appearently (haven't made any yet) wear out quickly if used on the bare ground.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
well wiki thinks I am right anyway and quicker than going through my ray mears dvd's for the episode that as well as recounting the story Bielski partisans he get so made by a old guy that referred to aforementioned partisans as terrorist :D IIRC

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, these are for winter or summer use and are designed not to be waterproof... in the summer it's dry so no problem and in the winter it's a dry cold... wear heavy woolen socks and the snow will compact on the outside forming an additional barrier. They are very comfortable like this, warm and supremely breathable... trust me, I have first hand knowledge ;)

They are Birch and are a traditional (if old school and for the poor only) design for the area around Moscow.

I will concede that they suck in autumn and spring though when it will be mostly wet :lmao:

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
The shoes look great & very breathable
wont even need cheese grater insoles :p

Mind you birch bark footware
& warming toes by the fire WOOF :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE