B&Q

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Josey Wales

Hi Guys!

Last week i was in england. I went witj a friend of mine to B&Q to help him buy some 'diy stuff'.

In the shop i saw a rather mediocre hatchet which had a rubberised metal handle.

The axe was made of carbon steel, and was said to weigh 20 oz. It looked to have the potential to be quite sharp, and was quite cheap...

Perhaps this might interest sum1?

cheers,

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Seen them. Used them. They're pants. :) Cheap tools will almost invariably be just that... cheap. If this is the style of hatchet you want you are far better off spending the right cash and getting an Estwing hatchet.
The "El-cheapo" types are fine for a job like attacking tree roots when removing stumps and the like where you are likely to damage the thing hitting the odd rock or two and would not want to use a good (and expensive) tool, but thats about all I'd want one for.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
hi . DON'T TOUCH IT,,,
I had one once and after a while i was splitting some 3" x 2" which was well hard. guess what the handle bent where it met the head!!
another cheapy i got was a hickory shafted small axe put a great dge on it. great for chopping sticks but when i attempted to fell a 6" diameter conifer the edge looked like~~~

so now i saved the money and got a gransfors small forest axe and wished id got it instead of wasting my money on cheapies.

Tom

others may know off cheaper reputable axes..

J

Josey Wales

Yeh I would agree- you get what you pay for...

mor on b&q though i did find a bargain ....
A tourch!!!!!!!!!!

Got it with me now. cheap but not nasty. durable. relatively strong beam and the price: wait for it............. 32p !!! :aargh4: (i wish i had bought more) but never mind( my friend is going to get me sum more!

for reference it is plastic, yellow and with black writing saying krypton on it so not only is it light but i feel like superman!!!!!!!!

cheers,

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Back in the early 70s, just out of the military, I took a job as a framing carpenter. The hammer I bought was a cheapie for $4. I wore it out in one day. Sometimes "cheap" is a synonym for throwing your money away. The next day I went out, spent $20, and bought a decent framing hammer. Still got it.

MARK II

Jul 31, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
As a wise person told me buy cheap buy twice , that has always suck with me so now I am propared to wait and save up for a little longer to get the real deal.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE