Atl-Atl Tutorial.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I wrote this for another forum a while back and in light of rich59's post regarding atl-atls at the moot thought it might be of interest: -

Whilst I have been aware of the atl-atl as a novelty for some time it has only been within the last few weeks that I come to learn of its potential in a survival situation. I have come at this tutorial from a survival perspective and have only use tools and materials that I would either be able to find in nature or have in my PSK. In the field the thrower and a single dart can be manufactured in under 10 minutes.

The Wikipedia definition of the atl-atl is: -

"An atlatl or spear-thrower is a tool that uses leverage to achieve greater velocity in spear-throwing, and includes a bearing surface which allows the user to transfer energy derived from muscular energy during the throw. It consists of a shaft with a handle on one end and a spur or cup on the other, against which the butt of the spear rests. The spear is thrown by the action of the upper arm and wrist in conjunction with a shift of balance of the body. An atlatl can readily cast a well made dart to ranges greater than 100 meters." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl This link also contains further information.

Various sources refer to the projectiles as spears and others use the term darts. I feel that dart is far more apt and will use this description throughout.

Believed to originate approximately 20,000 years ago the atl-atl would have been our Palaeolithic ancestors equivalent to a bolt action hunting rifle. In a recent competition I launched three reasonably accurate darts from a range of 20 meters at a target in under 15 seconds. At the same range my survival atl-atl and dart, both made of green hazel, penetrated a realistic hunting target which was a side of a pig with devastating results. Please note that the dart point was just sharpened in a childlike fashion - imagine what a head similar to a broad-head arrow could do: -

pigshot.jpg

Part One - The Atl-Atl or Dart Launcher.

This is what the end result will look like: -

atlatl_01.jpg

The next two pictures show how the carved spur locates into a cup that is drilled or carved into the fletched end of the dart: -

atlatl_02.jpg

atlatl_03.jpg

I selected a forked piece of hazel because the grain of the wood, as I'm sure you all know, at this point does not run straight - this gives the carved spur great strength and prevents it from snapping off on the first throw: -

atlatl_04.jpg

The next stage is to cut the fork in two: -

atlatl_05.jpg

This now gives me two potential atl-atls: -

atlatl_06.jpg

Once this cut is made it is now time to cut the atl-atl for length. I am advised that the optimal length is from the tip of ones fingers to ones mid-bicep.

Now to look at how to shape the spur: -

atlatl_07.jpg

atlatl_08.jpg

Just to make things easier to see I have shaded the areas to be removed at this stage: -

atlatl_09.jpg

And here is the launcher shaped before the spur is "under cut" and the top of the shaft reduced in thickness by approximately 20% to stop the dart fouling or becoming difficult to position on the spur:-

atlatl_10.jpg

After: -

atlatl_11.jpg

Now that the forming of the spur has been done without any problems it is time to remove any remains of shoots, twigs etc. Please note that I am using the knife beyond the reach of my knees so that is nearly impossible for me to cut myself: -

atlatl_12.jpg

Once the lumps and bumps are taken off I can now remove the bark. I find the best tool for this job to be a piece of flint - it strips the bark faster than a knife and, in a survival situation, preserves the knife edge for more vital tasks: -

atlatl_13.jpg

And here is the completed atl-atl, below in this picture: -

atlatl_15.jpg

Part Two will demonstrate how to make a survival dart and how to launch it.

Best regards to you all,

Phil.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff,

Have been meaning to have a go of atal launching :) Will look forward to part 2 ;)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
When you have time ;) its a precious commodity these days. Was mearly pulling yer leg ill looking forward to making one of these..

Thanks again...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE