Article: Handbok Overlevnad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i remember reading (or trying to read the book) 6 years ago when it was first offered as a download but After 6 years will it actually be translated?
I'm wondering (as a last resort) has anyone considered using Google translate? yes it would be a very rough translation (possibly really bad) but it might be ok, Not speaking Swedish I can't comment on how good or bad it would be.

I've translated some text for a Polish and Hungarian friend and they said they could read and understand it but it came across as childish.

it's a shame to waste the opurtunity of such a nice book,
Any opinions?

forestwalker

TLDR: it is from 1988, some of it is outdated/wrong. At least I will not put the effort into making a proper translation of it.

Part of the problem is that it was a very good book. A lot of the basics are still correct, but a lot has changed. There are things in there that we know are wrong, but everyone thought was true back when it was written. I started a useful translation when we started talking about this a few years ago, but for some parts I would have to basically either hold my nose or rewrite the text.

The problem is that I can't think of any book in English that is an as good general survival book. Mors Northern Bushcraft comes close, but does not cover all the topics. And it is quite region specific in places, unless you operated on the non-mountain parts of the Scandinavian peninsula (or at least on the taiga) then there are thing in there that is of no use to you. There are plans for writing a book, a modern survival book for Swedish/taiga conditions, but that project is in its early stages, and it will, for obvious reasons, initially be written in Swedish. For a translation you would need to wait for the publishers to decide it was worth it.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I agree, it is a very good instruction book, with just a few issues.
I spent close to 3 years at a unit in Arvidsjaur before it was written, and the survival tech we learned was done by the Same. Some of it differs from the book, and I believe the Same were more correct.

I imagine there is a need to revrite it completely, as todays young generation of potential soldiers are softer, less used to Nature and primitive ways.
It needs to be written mire in detail about most things.

If they publish a new zguide I am more than happy to assist. I still know my swedish!

forestwalker

I agree, it is a very good instruction book, with just a few issues.

Yes, it is still one of the better ones out there, but it is in places quite dated.

I spent close to 3 years at a unit in Arvidsjaur before it was written, and the survival tech we learned was done by the Same. Some of it differs from the book, and I believe the Same were more correct.

Depending: I would have to know what the specific differences were to say.

I imagine there is a need to revrite it completely, as todays young generation of potential soldiers are softer, less used to Nature and primitive ways.
It needs to be written mire in detail about most things.

Well, I think back to the people I did my military service with (first half of the 80's), in Boden, and honestly most of them had no clue. Some did, but most where Stockholm boys with no bush clue whatsoever. Ok, you would have seen a different selection in Arvidsjaur than we had.

If they publish a new zguide I am more than happy to assist. I still know my swedish!

Well, if they publish a new one it is sure to be under copyright.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
hmm...I wonder if we could make a project out of it? Someone to edit it all and some minions for the actual translation. I would happily be such a minion :)

Greger

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
hmm...I wonder if we could make a project out of it? Someone to edit it all and some minions for the actual translation. I would happily be such a minion :)

Greger

Same here, happy to help. My strength is the area of marshland, up and including to the mountains, plus coast line.
Many of the soldiers were from Stockholm, the closest they have been to greenery were the parks and salads on the plate.
Most of us officers were from outside Stockholm.
2 fellow officers in my squadron were Same, and about 10% of the soldiers.
We all were selected by our mental and physical strength, prior Nature experience did not matter, which made life very "interesting"!

Forestwalker:
I need to read it through to tell where my opinion ( opinion, not the truth!) differs.
I remember though I did find the chapter with the mushrooms stupid, same with the plant section.

You living in Norrland have some Same friends that can help too?

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Janne. Ive been taught that in the winter, [being lots of marshland in the boreal forest,] if you see a an animals tracks, such as a fox heading toward an obvious marsh, but then the tracks go around the marsh, you follow the tracks, as the fox may knows the marsh is not safe to cross?

Whats your opinion on that?

P.S is you or your husband coming over to porjus sweden on the arctic trip in January?

I think I may try to learn the swedish language.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Janne. Ive been taught that in the winter, [being lots of marshland in the boreal forest,] if you see a an animals tracks, such as a fox heading toward an obvious marsh, but then the tracks go around the marsh, you follow the tracks, as the fox may knows the marsh is not safe to cross?

Whats your opinion on that?

P.S is you or your husband coming over to porjus sweden on the arctic trip in January?

I think I may try to learn the swedish language.

We used to follow reindeer and moose tracks. Mainly because they flattened the snow a bit so it was easier to ski.
If the cold hit before the snow, the marshes were frozen and fine for driving on with the BV 106 and 206 we had and the snowskooters.
If the snow fell before a proper frost there was a risk of unfrozen marsh, so then we avoided them with vehicles
We used skis, and the pressure on the ground then is so low it did not matter if it was frozen or not.

But mostly we did not travel over open ground.

I am male. First name Jan, but people in Sweden call us Janne. So NOT Jane!
Women were not allowed in my unit, as they did not have the physical strength. ( thank God, it was hard enough to deal with guys!)
No Porjus for me, as I only can take a few weeks holiday a year, I am super busy, and I go to our place in the Lofotens.
Will go in the two weeks before Eastern again, hoping the Screi cod is still there.

Enjoy the Arctic! Bring some nice Malt and the Swedes will love you, also npbe prepared for some proper cold in January!
Most people can speak and understand English in Sweden, so do not waste your time!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE