Article: 30 day worm and cricket diet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yup harvest...its funny how quickly we've evolved into forgetting our roots....i've had a fair few bugs...i make angela gag when we walk round birdworld because i eat the dried mealworms we've bought to give to the birds....i tried crickets at the gathering courtesy of chris the cat....though nice and peanutty at first they were pretty bitter and bitty after chewing which wasnt so pleasant...

last christmas a neighbour gave me a brace of pheasants...went out in the garden to gut them and my eldest brother went pale and i swear i thought he was going to faint...boy did he get some stick lolol

its all good eatin'!

s

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I saw an article a while ago where they said they were looking to make more use of bugs as they are still a staple across most of the world. The thought was to make them more appealing to westerners by making them look like sausages and burgers.

Let's face it, most of us would try something if we were asked too (and it didn't look too manky) and then go 'OK'. Just like Slyvester Stallone in Demolition Man with his Rat Burger.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Non story.

I remember my fathers prejudice against foreign food (particularly garlic) When he remarried after my mother died, guess what she loved to eat?

You cant get him away from it now.

i have tried a bread spread with witchetties(yum), several species of ants (green ants taste like lemon), silkworm larvae (do'nt like the taste) but the best were bush coconuts(several parts are edible and the grub tastes like the best coconut cream!)....
on a practical note- how do you know your insects are clean/free of diseases?! i red somehwere grasshoppers can carry nasty parasites...

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
In Singapore and Malaysia I've eaten fried crickets and other such goodies. They're a bit crunchy and stick to the teeth but they're ok.

I steer clear of brightly coloured bugs as they're likely to contain toxins, but mealworms are fine (I had a hedgehog as a kid and ate them with him).

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
on a practical note- how do you know your insects are clean/free of diseases?! i red somehwere grasshoppers can carry nasty parasites...

That's a question I've wondered.

The witchetty grubs that forestdweller mentioned are the size of a small prawn but without all the legs, shell and antenna stuff. I imagine they'd go well in a paella.

I ate a lot while haying in Saskatchewan and they came in clouds. Took too long to spit them out back when we threw rectangular bales. Forty years later and I'm still doing OK. Well I do get a bit strange at times, but I attribute that to rye and age...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE