Army Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of the US army boot, current issue. I am after a pair of german boots, but I have managed to find a pair of us boots for next to nothing.

I know german boots are top notch, but have no idea about the ones from the USA. Can anyone help?

Thanks

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
That would be probably the Wellco ICB with the vulcanized sole and speed lace setup.

I haven't worn them personally, but the Canadian issue Mk. III leather combat boot is remarkably similar.

I suppose the only thing you'll need to be aware of is how long the boots will take to break in. How you do that, and what method you use is up to you though!

Adam

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I have worn them extensively. Once broken in, they are comfy, if a little too warm for my feet. They do take some time to break in though. I prefer the jungle style ones more, but, thats just me. Replace the boot sole with an aftermarket one (Dr. Schools or whatnot), and you should be fine. They do require extensive polishing to keep them supple. The tread itself isnt the greatest, but you can get them retreaded at a cobbler (I suggest a vibram type tread). They are virtually bomb proof though. Hope this helped!

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
rik_uk3 said:
I got my lad and I a pair of these American boots each
http://www.wardenssupplyco.com/cata...id=99&osCsid=9325fee2636b46a31012bc84764544df

they were NIB (new in box), great construction, water tight, warm, and Vibram soles; well worth the money. My only complaint is that they a little high up the leg for me.

They look pretty smart...and very good value... :) Did you get them locally or were they imported from the website you linked? :dunno: If they were imported, how much was the postage? :dunno:

Oct 24, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I picked up a pair of all leather boots from a surplus that I think are similar to the US boots. They are a bit heavy but wear really well. I spent a 3 day hike in rain and muck but my feet stayed dry. They take a bit of maintenance by applying lots of polish. The other advantage is if the boots do get wet they will dry at lot faster than truly waterproof boots.

Water proofing keeps the water in as well as out! :D

Lennard

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah, they're fantastic boots. It's a pity that they're being phased out in favour of a boot that I don't think is as durable. The old ones, the Mk. III's are affectionately known as the "Black Cadillacs"

Adam

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
addyb said:
That would be probably the Wellco ICB with the vulcanized sole and speed lace setup.

I haven't worn them personally, but the Canadian issue Mk. III leather combat boot is remarkably similar.

I suppose the only thing you'll need to be aware of is how long the boots will take to break in. How you do that, and what method you use is up to you though!

Adam

Not sure about that. I haven't worn US Army all leather "boondockers" since the Vietnam era - and I'd imagine they've changed a bit, but I've been using the Canadian all leather combat boots at work for the last four years and they are an incredibly good boot - plus they run about $35 (used) VS $100 to $200 for the boots I was using before - which I didn't like as well. The Canadian boots use extremely good leather (inside and out).

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Those look a lot like the "Boondockers" described by Pierre. The ICB boot I was referring to is this one here. Anyway, I stand corrected, the ICB boot is a little different, the one on the link is an all leather. It looks like the Boondockers with the only difference being the addition of a speed lace system. Sorry about the mix up, I'm only human! :)

The Canadian boots (Black Caddies) can be found here. The difference between it and the Altama (or Wellco) made "Boondocker" is the pebbled leather outer.

Whatever, I gotta stop typing about boots and head to class!

Adam

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
In my experience, boot choices are objective. I've had Altbergs, Danners, Lowa's, Matterhorns, Hanwag's....you name it i've tried it.

Whatever your choice, look after them, treat them well and they should never let you down. Treat the leather to a bit of Neatisfoot oil when they are new (not too much). Rub it in a couple of times. This softens the leather, but not excessively (you want them to be easier to bend without compromising support). Try to use a good quality wax polish (Kiwi only in my opinion). When you start to feel comfortable in the boots, start treating them with Nikwax Aqueous Wax (available in various colours and neutral) This gives a magnificent water resistant finish (water just beads and runs off!).

Now this is where i hang myself. Goertex boots are only effective if you look after them properly. Some Special Forces guys i've worked with say they only use Gortex lined boots in extreme cold weather. But, even if you choose Gortex lined (or sympatex, or whatever) USE THE Aqueous WAX! Yes you heard me right. Even if your boots have a waterproof membrane, use the aqueos wax religiously.

Why? i hear you ask. Well imagine if you had a gortex jacket on and wore a soaking wet leather coat over the top of it with a soaking wet fleece between the two. Do you think the Gortex would be effective? Trust your leather and keep it treated. If you have £100 budget, i'd recommend Danner Arcadia's (Insulated and gortex lined) or Lowa Patrol Boots (no Gortex, just insulation) or if you want to keep your money in the country, buy Alt-Bergs. £50-£75 budget, i'd recommend Pro-boots (Thermal and Gortex) or a good pair of Magnums. Try to avoid cheap issue combat boots, once they are worn-in, the soles have worn down and as they are a directly moulded sole, they cannot be replaced and will have to be binned. All the above boots can be re-soled.

Remember, Up to a standard, not down to a price!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE