Apocalypto

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The problem with accepting Hollywood is just fiction is that a vast number of people take their historical perspective from the movies.

Yes people on here question debate and watch movies with a view that fact and fiction areseperate. Many do not. My wife is a film buff and a historian and I have to sit through constant verbose on the message behind the film etc etc.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Wayne said:
The problem with accepting Hollywood is just fiction is that a vast number of people take their historical perspective from the movies.

Yes indeed! And it really doesn't help when some idiot erects a statue of Mel Gibson in "Braveheart" costume and calls it a monument to Wallace.

I could maybe let it go if it weren't for that :censored: statue...

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Womble said:
That one by the monument at Sterling? I know what you mean...

Blimey womble who rattled your cage :lmao: are you out of hibernation now.? It's still january you know!! global warming an all.............go back to sleep mate and we'll see you in the spring :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayne said:

Yes people on here question debate and watch movies with a view that fact and fiction areseperate. Many do not. My wife is a film buff and a historian and I have to sit through constant verbose on the message behind the film etc etc.

There is an old saying that "History is written by the victorious".

One mans history is another mans propaganda. I work with history all the time and I notice when it gets re-written to fit the latest fashionable opinion.

One day the Vikings are blood thirsty raiders the next day they are peace loving farmers.

The truth is they were perhaps both or neither of these. Our perception of history varies almost daily. Hollywood is one influence of course but so is our own moral standpoint.

I grumble constantly about Hollywood not getting it right but I can also understand that a movie will fit someone elses point of view perfectly.

It's easy to say that "My view is the correct one and theirs is not." but which version of history do I base that assumption on?

Some "facts" are undisputable, many others are at best shaky

Watch the film if you like, miss it if you prefer but don't get too wound up about the accuracy of movie land, if you put ten archaeologists and historians in a room together they'll come out with 15 different theories for the same thing.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
CLEM said:
As far as I am concerned he is entitled to say,think and have an opinion of his own as are everyone else,god I am sick and tired of all this PC crap!

Yes, he is, and nobody has said he isn't.

However, you can't honestly expect someone to say "******* Jews. The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world," and get away with it scot free.

It has nothing to do with "political correctness"

God am I sick of people misusing the term "political correctness" to excuse racism, homophobia and other forms of bigotry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Back on topic though (kinda), the movie looks like it could be fun. The hhhistorical innaccuracy thing does suck though, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
dommyracer said:
Yes, he is, and nobody has said he isn't.

However, you can't honestly expect someone to say "******* Jews. The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world," and get away with it scot free.

It has nothing to do with "political correctness"

God am I sick of people misusing the term "political correctness" to excuse racism, homophobia and other forms of bigotry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Back on topic though (kinda), the movie looks like it could be fun. The hhhistorical innaccuracy thing does suck though, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story?
Why ever not???,does everyone HAVE to subscribe to YOUR views??? Personally I am sick to death of the facist left bullies putting labels on folks who happen to be able to think for themselves,they preach tolerance but do not show any to those that disagree with them themselves!

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
If you are looking for really accurate historical movies, I can only suggest

ice_age.jpg

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
falling rain said:
I took my son to see Apocalypto yesterday http://apocalypto.movies.go.com/ and it was excellent. Nothing particularlly to learn as far as bushcraft goes but good costumes and fast action. Just thought I'd recommend it if you're after something to do at the weekend.
I went to the British museum last year and there was a Polynesian exhibition there. A lot of the costumes and weapons in the film were very similar to the artefacts at the museum. Especially I noticed the war clubs were the same or very similar. Anyway great film if you're into the cinema.

Cheers Nick, I was debating whether to go and see that. Not fussed on accuracy, I spend most of my life having to be accurate, its nice to go and watch something, switch brain off (doesn't take long) and just enjoy it.

Matt

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
HI all,
long time no see....
I have seen Apocalypto twice now and really enjoyed it, Great entertainment...
I'm not interested in it historical value, if I want to learn history I will read "Several" text books on the subject and the make up my mind as to what ist my perseption of the truth... You see History is one of my favorite subjects to read about.

And as Politics and Religion are Two subjects that a gentalman never discusses in polite company I wont enter into the fray.

Cheers all

Oh! and Spikey, pass me some of that Popcorn....

Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE