Any thoughts on this track?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Track.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a very strong possibility. If not Red deer, my money is on boar. Obviously you have a better idea of the scale and the area, but it does look that way.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Were the prints turned out as if walking with toes pointing ten to two?
I can't recall if it was or not.
This track was the best of a bad bunch and quite possibly made a couple of weeks before finding it - The ground was hard and dry and it hadn't rained here for at least 2 weeks. You can see that a lot of debris has fallen into it after the track was made.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i think i remember there being a small group of bore around dorset way last time i went on the goverment web site or near that area, they spread like wild fire to and you get loan males walk miles and miles looking for new ground and females.....

they can grow massive to ive seen then the size of chast freezers before, they also take alot of stopping if you get on there wrong side of them.......

but they taste great.....MMmmmmmmmm

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
i think i remember there being a small group of bore around dorset way last time i went on the goverment web site or near that area, they spread like wild fire to and you get loan males walk miles and miles looking for new ground and females.....

They are certainly in the locality - Hooke woods has quite a number and is only about 5 miles away.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Bushwhacker,
I've seen just these tracks before and I believe they are wild boar.

There are boar up in Glen Dessary and Pean which I think need thinning out. They can be a pest and, as I've discovered, are highly aggressive if you inadvertently stray towards their young.

I was in a forest just north of the young Danube in Germany, an area rich in Neolithic and Celtic bronze-age archaeology, and came across a hunter's hut and roasting pit (the Europeans have it sussed), so went to gather wood to get a wee blaze going. 10 seconds later I was legging it back to the hut with a disgruntled wild pig hard on my heels. I ran into the hut and slammed the door behind me one second before the pig's head rammed into it. It was then that I realised the right hand wall was missing.

Thankfully, the wild pig was marginally dumber than me and didn't figure it out at all.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hi Bushwhacker,
I've seen just these tracks before and I believe they are wild boar.

There are boar up in Glen Dessary and Pean which I think need thinning out. They can be a pest and, as I've discovered, are highly aggressive if you inadvertently stray towards their young.

I was in a forest just north of the young Danube in Germany, an area rich in Neolithic and Celtic bronze-age archaeology, and came across a hunter's hut and roasting pit (the Europeans have it sussed), so went to gather wood to get a wee blaze going. 10 seconds later I was legging it back to the hut with a disgruntled wild pig hard on my heels. I ran into the hut and slammed the door behind me one second before the pig's head rammed into it. It was then that I realised the right hand wall was missing.

Thankfully, the wild pig was marginally dumber than me and didn't figure it out at all.

That could have been nasty.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
That's a cool story pango.
I really hope to see one soon, I'll have to make sure there's a tree branch above me just in case I need to hoik myself up out of the way!
I reckon if I can find a wallow site I'll have a pretty good chance, problem is that not all the land is accessible.

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
I saw one get hit by a landcruiser near Oakham in rutland. Made a hell of a mess to the truck, the boar suffered a broken leg but still lively enough until it was shot and taken away by a farmer down the hill. The farmer originally turned up to tow the bloke back to the yard, but when he saw the boar there he knew where his priorities lay and left the bloke there whilst he sorted the boar out! lo

l Must have had a damn good feed off of that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE