Any advice for a first-time basha user?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
OK, my first basha is in the post. Its 8'x6' with what appear to be lots of tie-on points and grommets round the edge. Now here's the problem...... I'm quite an experienced camper but have always placed a lot of faith in a good quality tent. To be perfectly honest I am a wee bit nervous at the prospect of abandoning my 4 season bombproof, bugproof, bathtub floored haven of warmth and dryness for what is, in effect a single sheet of nylon! Now I know that loads of you good folks out there swear by bashas but please bear with me, its still a bit of a leap of faith to me :roll:

My first question.
What OTHER gear do folks use in combination with their bashas? I already have a choice of decent sleeping bags and Karrimats/Thermarests and also have a simple gore-tex bivvi bag. Would a groundsheet be recommended? I also like the idea of a hammock but there is (Ahem!) rather a lot of me and Ihave visions of hammocks ripping and trees snapping!

My second question.
I know their are loads of ways to pitch bashas but I was wondering what configuration folks use as a preference, and why?

My third question.
Am I actually going to get any sleep? :yikes:

I'm going on my first bushcraft course in a couple of months and dont want to look like a wuss pitching a boring old tent (Actually a lovely tent, mmmmm shiney things) and I -really- need to lighten the load in my rucksack.

cheers,
simon

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Mate, have a nose through this page....it give some basic tips...

http://www.survivaliq.com/survival/shelters_s2.htm

It's worth using your bivvi bag under your basha in the wet winter but I wouldn't bother in the summer...
Wouldn't bother with the ground sheet....summer use just put the kit mat on the floor and winter put it inside the bivvi bag with the sleeping bag.

Hope that's of use to you......also do a search on here for Basha's and you'll find a few threads that might be useful to you.... :eek:):

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think that when you are sitting at home looking all the gear you can cart off into the wilderness, its very easy to think about what you need to be happy and comfortable with the same mindset you have while sitting at home.

Once you are actually out there you can be very happy and comfortable with surprisingly little, and pieces of gear (or nature) which you would turn your nose up at while in the comfort of your home can become your most precious possessions.

So I'd suggest you travel with your basha, the best sleeping bag you can afford and whatever mat you decide on, if its raining hard, just drop the basha height.

Oh! and make sure you know all your knots...

I'm hopeless with names so I had to go dig a RM book out to get the names of the ones I use...

Evenk slippery figure of eight hitch and Tarp taut hitch for the main ridge line...

slippery adjustable loop for the guys...

And I use Klemheist knots to keep the sheet taut on the guy.

Yes you will sleep, but maybe not so well the first few nights.

leon-1

As sandbender says probably the lower the better in inclement weather, if you use it like a roof or a ridge tent when you site it check your wind direction, nothing more depressing than getting a wet head or damp feet if it rains unexpectedly and you are not in a bivvi bag.

If you are pitching near water, lakes, lochs and the sea the wind direction changes according to the time of day, it may be blowing in your face when you set up, but later the wind will come from behind you (a natural effect caused by areas of water heating and cooling) if possible set up in a location that will give you shelter from the wind on one side at least.

Basha's can be set up flat over folds in the ground, if you use this method ensure that it is not an area that will fill up when water runs off one side or the other of the fold.

If you are going to use pegs try them out before you get out there, it can be very annoying when your pegs get ripped out of the ground leaving you exposed and carry a couple of different types (some for hard ground and some that will hold in soft) both preferably long.

Thai Hammocks, Pods, and Hennesys are very good and are considerably stronger than most would think, I believe that they do state the weights that they are capable of supporting as well on a lot of them now so hammocks are a viable option. In winter put a therma-rest or other mat inside it to keep the chill from the underside, but also be aware of capilliary action of the sashes when it is raining, not all have problems with it but some do.

All the best and happy camping :wave:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
leon-1 said:
Thai Hammocks, Pods, and Hennesys are very good and are considerably stronger than most would think, I believe that they do state the weights that they are capable of supporting as well on a lot of them now so hammocks are a viable option. In winter put a therma-rest or other mat inside it to keep the chill from the underside, but also be aware of capilliary action of the sashes when it is raining, not all have problems with it but some do.

It would be interesting to know which hammocks do suffer from capilliary action in the rain, as I am seriously considering getting one in the near future. If you'd rather not defame a company in the group then feel free to PM.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Even those that do you can help reduce it by tying short trails of sting onto the guy line to direct the water to drop on the floor before it gets to you.... not ideal but better than nothing :eek:):

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
bambodoggy said:
Even those that do you can help reduce it by tying short trails of sting onto the guy line to direct the water to drop on the floor before it gets to you.... not ideal but better than nothing :eek:):

Ive slept under basha's, poncho's and Hootchies in one form or another for the last 20 year and never found a need to do this? If the weathers bad lower the basha or drop a side into the prevailing wind, make sure your guys and your sheet are taught and if correctly pitched water will generally not have cordage to run down.

As for knots and names .................

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
bambodoggy said:

Now how simple and emminently sensible is that?
Could even collect the water :)
Why did that not occur to me....Doh!

leon-1

beachlover said:
Now how simple and emminently sensible is that?
Could even collect the water :)
Why did that not occur to me....Doh!

You can also put half a squash ball on each sash, which works pretty well. Other options include attaching a metal ring to the sashes using a tape knot and then attach another longer sash to that.

Gary, the capillary action that we were talking about happens more often than not on the sashes of Thai Hammocks, not the basha itself :)

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Q1 you have all the kit you need, bag, mat and bivibag.

Q2 I aint going in to this as everyone will tell you a way that’s best, practise and find your own way. If in woods try tying each corner to a tree at knee height and tie a string from the centre to a branch above, its quick and easy and it works.

Q3 Oh yes you will probably have your best nights sleep ever. I hate sleeping in tents they are claustrophobic cloth tombs.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Re hammocks and rain...

I used a Hennesay Hammock for a trip across Turkey recently, very comfortable, very lightweight. Hennesay provide an optional add on called a snakeskin, these are essentially two giant condom type things which permit very fast and easy packing. They also stop water running down along the guy line into the hammock.

As comfortable as it was, I still prefered to sleep on the ground where I could see 360 degrees all around and be warmed by the fire, so I've since sold the hammock and will stick with my hootchie/basha.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
if it's freezing, you drunk to much liquid and have to take a leak at night... no you get little sleep than, especially if your holding it, instead of releasing the pressure ( hey, It was cold ! ) till it's morning again... On the other hand, i can't really remember having such a relief during my morning leak, with the beautiful dew covered forest in front of me. :lol:

that wouldn't have happened if somebody remembered to carry that nalgene bottle with him. Although that would still have been a bit awkward.

oh and don't forget to bring enough cord with you. Sometimes you just lack that little lenght of rope to make a couple of knots... Don't forget to put things on a proper place, things can blow away without the walls of a tent...

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Here's how I tie it up as an A-frame for use over a hammock.

Put up a ridgeline between two trees at eye level. Tie this with taut line hitches at either end so you can readily tighten the rigdeline from under the basha.

Tie lengths of cord, to each of the four corners -- 6 ft to 12 ft long each. Tie them to the basha with taut line hitches so you can etc. etc.

Tie a figure eight on a bight on the ends of these four cords.

Drape the basha over the ridgeline and use aluminum or stick pegs to peg the corner cords into the earth.

It doesn't have to be centered on the ridgeline.

Another common pitch, especially useful for high winds and driving rain, is the flying diamond.

Rather than repeat stuff, here's a site that explains how.

http://www.mwestfall.addr.com/nigal/tarp_basics.htm

The idea about carrying a few binder clips isn't bad either.

Bear

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Gary said:
Ive slept under basha's, poncho's and Hootchies in one form or another for the last 20 year and never found a need to do this? If the weathers bad lower the basha or drop a side into the prevailing wind, make sure your guys and your sheet are taught and if correctly pitched water will generally not have cordage to run down.

As for knots and names .................

Sorry Gary, didn't make myself clear....I've never had a problem on basha's either, although I said guy line I actually meant the string ends (or sashes) on the hammock itself....

Even here I haven't found it much of a problem... :lol:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
leon-1 said:
You can also put half a squash ball on each sash, which works pretty well. Other options include attaching a metal ring to the sashes using a tape knot and then attach another longer sash to that.

Gary, the capillary action that we were talking about happens more often than not on the sashes of Thai Hammocks, not the basha itself :)

Ahhhhhhhh hammock - sorry Leon my mistake, well you know my view on hammocks! :wink:

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Gary said:
Ahhhhhhhh hammock - sorry Leon my mistake, well you know my view on hammocks! :wink:

Many thanks to all who have chimed in with good advice and encouraging comments. I'm obviously going to have to practice using this bit of kit from the relative safety of my garden (More strange looks from the neighbours :shock: ) before having a go 'in the wilds'. I must admit I am beginning to understand the attraction of being able to see the world around you from the comfort of your sleeping bag.

Cheers,
simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE