Alternative steel strikers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
With my steel striker now out of action after my 7 year old daughter broke it (only a kid could break a piece of steel :shock: ) I've been having a look around for other strikers. So far I've tested my Woodlore and a Bison Bushcraft knives and both will throw good sparks when used with a bit of flint and the sparks will easily light charcloth ... so I've happy with that :-D Also, doing this roughens the spines of the knives nicely so that they get better for using with a ferro rod! :lol:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice idea adi. I was so suprised about the difference between the woodlore and the puukko. The WS showers them so much better i burnt my carpet :lol: .

Cheers,

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
But it is a bit of a pain carrying saw blades around, when your woodlore will do (almost?) just as well.

Cheers,

Jake

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Call me old fashioned, but what is the fixation with minimilistion.......buy/use what is available! - Stone age man never moaned about the amount of rock that he had to carry around!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
It's swings and roundabouts I think ... some people are kit obsessed, others into minimalism. I think that most are looking for a happy medium.

I like the idea of duplication in case a vital bit is lost, stolen or broken.
Jack said:
Call me old fashioned, but what is the fixation with minimilistion.......buy/use what is available! - Stone age man never moaned about the amount of rock that he had to carry around!

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
But, surely, the most important bit of kit is the bit that creates fire in the shortest time.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yep ... a flamethrower! :f: :eek:):

Fire is 90% preparation and 10% kit I think ... the push button convenience of lighters and ease with which a match can make a flame has meant that we think that fire is just as easy as striking a match or using a lighter. The reason why I like to have plenty of possible methods using lots of different items is that it gives me scope for when things go wrong or I lose something. I still throw a block of hexy on the fire when I'm in a rush or use lighters around camp, but things being things can run out and break or get lost or wet so I always like to have "another way". :-D

I don't see it as a minimalisation thing at all ... I like to have LOTS of ways!
Jack said:
But, surely, the most important bit of kit is the bit that creates fire in the shortest time.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Lots of ways to make fire is defo the way to go. I find that my lighter is only used for lighting ciggies though and is usually left to the side when lighting a fire. I find it so much more enjoyable and satisfying to correctly prepare tinder and cast a shower of sparks than just flick a lighter. :chill:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Maybe it's just me but over the years I've come to the conclusion that the lighter is probably one of the most awful bits of kit to light a fire with - especially the gas ones. I have one that I use for the fire at home and all that I need to keep an eye on is the gas level (or flint and fuel in a Zippo) and it will work every time. But take that out into the field and reliability can be a major let down. They are too badly affected by cold and wet and dirt, not to mention that they can also easily be broken. With a ferro rod and some char cloth or collected birch bark I know where I am and they are far more robust!

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Adi007 said:
Maybe it's just me but over the years I've come to the conclusion that the lighter is probably one of the most awful bits of kit to light a fire with - especially the gas ones.

Very true mate, try lighting a fag with a ferro rod though and it becomes obvious where the '5 fer a pound' plakky lighter fits in!!

BTW Zippos rock, just so damn cool :cool: Quite famcy one of those windmill jobs...you got one Adi? Worth the cash or a bit of overkill?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
larry the spark said:
BTW Zippos rock, just so damn cool :cool: Quite famcy one of those windmill jobs...you got one Adi? Worth the cash or a bit of overkill?

No, don't have a Windmill but seen and heard a lot about them ... some say they are great while others say not so great. I have one of them blow torch lighters (not the aluminium body ones but all orange plastic) and it works a treat most of the time but can need attention. However, can also be pretty useless when cold even if kept close to the body for warmth.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I need to keep an eye on is the gas level (or flint and fuel in a Zippo)

Zippos run out of gas too fast. Never rely on it as your source for fire.
I prefer just having the basics. Knife, firesteel etc. I dont like carrying a lot of kit.

Its just about what you enjoy most. :pack:

Cheers,

Jake

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jack said:

Jack, I didn't know you were that old. :shock: :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE