ajungilak help please!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Fenlander said:
I wasn't near the fire, but we didn't keep it going anyway!
Yes I did use my hammock....I usually use a foam mat (didn't take one with me) between the TWO layers of my Nomad hammock, but this time I just used a fleece liner and spare clothes.
i cleared all the snow from under my hammock and tarp, but did not use fur bowes for added insulaton.
I was wearing merino wool thermals, woke up cold at 2am and added Norwiegen army cotton thermals.
I woke up at 6am shivering! I all honesty, I was over confident with my sleep system, and will learn from this experience!

The other guys slept in shelter constructed from fur bowes and were also very cold all night.

Therein lies your problem. Hammocks are not warm to sleep in at all, as you're pressed hard against a very thin layer, which loses heat very quickly as it is near the ground (cold air) but high enough to be fully in the wind. Even with a foam mat it's not a good idea except when hot. Plus you only had a "lite" bag, which if you sleep cold will not be enough for winter, especially with snow.
Just some advice for next time :wave:

arctic hobo said:
Therein lies your problem. Hammocks are not warm to sleep in at all, as you're pressed hard against a very thin layer, which loses heat very quickly as it is near the ground (cold air) but high enough to be fully in the wind. Even with a foam mat it's not a good idea except when hot. Plus you only had a "lite" bag, which if you sleep cold will not be enough for winter, especially with snow.
Just some advice for next time :wave:
Thanks for your reply!

I am now in the process of making an under quilt, made out of rip-stop nylon and Pertex. Not sure what the thermal fill will be yet though?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE