Advice needed please: Cobblers Scrap Leather!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi there,
I went on the scrounge at my local coblers the other day and got hold of this piece of leather.
Having never made anything from leather I was wondering if you guys had any ideas, I was thinking of a knife sheath or a mask for my axe.
The piece ies 835mm long, 110mm wide (at the widest point) and 4mm thick.

Attachments

• 100_1065.JPG
    100_1065.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_1066_0001.JPG
    100_1066_0001.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 25

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
It looks like a good and serviceable piece of leather Greg. I think it might well be a little small to try making an axe mask from though (unless you have a very small axe) due to it only being 110mm wide.
It would be a great piece for making a knife sheath or two out of though. Without knowing whether it's chrome tanned or veg tanned it's hard to say how well it would wet-form, but you could always go for a "stacked leather" sheath design as it won't matter what tanning process was used for that.
Let us know how you get on with it.

If you're not sure about how to go about making the sheath, check out the thread I responded to on BB and you'll see the instuctions and comments there. ;)

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?p=291010#post291010

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You jammy beggar!
How did you blag that much leather? My local leather worker wouldn't give me the time of day, never mind a hunk of leather that size!
Knife sheaths would be the obvious use for it, or loops holding D rings for hanging bits of kit from, knife handles of course, leather tubs - oh the possibilities! Oh the price!
Jelous John

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John Fenna said:
You jammy beggar!
How did you blag that much leather? My local leather worker wouldn't give me the time of day, never mind a hunk of leather that size!
Knife sheaths would be the obvious use for it, or loops holding D rings for hanging bits of kit from, knife handles of course, leather tubs - oh the possibilities! Oh the price!
Jelous John

£2.50 for a pint of lager...:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE