A Walk in the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Went for a walk through Sherwood the other day, so took some pics.

These Horses Hoof fungal brackets, were huge.

sherwood_10_07_and_men_an_toll_003.sized.jpg

Long horned cattle, grazing off the grass in a conservation project. Quite a surprise.

sherwood_10_07_and_men_an_toll_006.sized.jpg

sherwood_10_07_and_men_an_toll_005.sized.jpg

The odd Ent or two! Faces everywhere.

sherwood_10_07_and_men_an_toll_007.sized.jpg

:)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Hello - glad you enjoyed your walk but I can't see any photos in your post and the link's gone. The link you gave previously brings up a blank page... I can use my imagination for the hoof fungi I suppose :)

I used to love watching 'Robin of Sherwood' although I don't suppose it was actually filmed
there!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hello - glad you enjoyed your walk but I can't see any photos in your post and the link's gone. The link you gave previously brings up a blank page... I can use my imagination for the hoof fungi I suppose :)

I used to love watching 'Robin of Sherwood' although I don't suppose it was actually filmed
there!

Robin of sherwood was great. Thinking of getting them on DVD. Loads more atmosphere than the new series, although its all good fun. Sorry u cant see the pics they seem fine when I go back here. Those brackets really were big! :)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
What lovely photos :)
I'm also impressed with bikething's photo-sneakery skills - I'm amazed that you can
bring stuff out that doesn't look like it's there, on the base of the tree. Clever.

I have some of the series on VHS (it creaks a bit)... and the Clannad LP hehe. It
was very atmospheric and quite a bit peculiar too. Currently showing on ITV3 on
occasions :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Check out the Night Fever tree! The two main branches look like one arm pointed up, the other down in the infamous picture of John Travolta dancing, and you can see the knot with the two dark patches above that make him look like he is singing!

Oooooooooooh! Yeah!

Fantastic!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers bikething, The wise man with the bushy tash/beard came out well in the dark bit just up from the base

Spamel, I like it :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

mason

Jul 25, 2007
Nottinghamshire
addo - Do you have any more info on the conservation project?

I'm close to Sherwood forest but normally stay clear and visit the smaller woods around the area. This however looks really interesting.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
addo - Do you have any more info on the conservation project?

I'm close to Sherwood forest but normally stay clear and visit the smaller woods around the area. This however looks really interesting.

The cattle apparently graze the grass, and trample down the bracken. This is supposed to encourage bilberry (I think) to spread its seed and germinate better. It must encourage other wild flower species to develop, as the bracken can be very restrictive.

There were two large fenced off areas. one had been grazed and one was being grazed this was in the Birklands area (the nice bit). After the cattle have been in,or instead of, it looks like contractors have been in with a machine to close mulch everywhere except around the base of trees.

In other areas of the forest, there are sheep doing the same sort of thing.

Also a few years ago I was involved in thinnig out large conifers, to allow the oak-birch sections to develop and it looks like this is continuing, and even in the more open areas this already looks rearly good. Hardest work I ever did! But one of the best jobs. :)

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Check out the Night Fever tree! The two main branches look like one arm pointed up, the other down in the infamous picture of John Travolta dancing, and you can see the knot with the two dark patches above that make him look like he is singing!

Oooooooooooh! Yeah!

Fantastic!

You should get those mushrooms ID'd by an expert before you eat them !!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE