4x4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
However, to be honest if you exclude heavy ruts its all down to tyres and how you drive. As a very active member of GLASS (Green Lane Association) I have seen people cross the muddiest fields in the oddest vehicles (most unusual is a 2CV).

Refering to my previous post, the Cherokee was rolled on tarmac - NOT off-road....
And this is what we used to foray into the desert with - you can probably understand how pleased I am with the Landies.... :lmao:

DugznMatizx.jpg

MatizDesert3x.jpg
:rolleyes:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
AJB said:
Yea, I believe the design brief was…

“carry a family of four in comfort and drive across a ploughed field with a tray of eggs on the passenger seat and a pig in the back”

If memory serves me right there were a number of 2CV expeditions across the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara desert!!! :eek:

........... I'll see if I can find the links ...........

Ahhh here you go "Dubbed the Plymouth-Dakar Challenge, it is a bohemian version of the Paris-Dakar road rally" Link

and here and here. Seems it's been done a few times ......

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Hi Cairodel - I know it was rolled on road - so were the other vehicles I mentioned. It was part of an "illustration" of the "dangers" of using 4 wd vehicles in an urban, rather than off road, environment, especially given their increasing popularity (allegedly) as school-run vehicles.

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Beer Monster said:
[...]
Ahhh here you go "Dubbed the Plymouth-Dakar Challenge, it is a bohemian version of the Paris-Dakar road rally"

Ha ha, starting from Plymouth and having scrappy vehicles take part makes a lot of sense (with aplologies if it's a bit local, hmm, or if you live in Plymouth and drive something that's alright - but in that case it'll makes sense anyway) ...

Err, I'll get me coat. :rolleyes:

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
I am going to have to stick up for Landies. I don't think that my dad has ever gone a year without owning at least 1 landie. They are brilliant offroad and will spank a cherokee any day of the week, if you don't like the look of Defenders then why not the Discovery. Landies are reliable in this day and age. I do perfer the Defender a lot more though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nathan,

IMHO they are great car so long as you don't want a reliable car! Fantastic off road (and yes, we have one standing in the drive right now), but the gamekeeper here wouldn't take one as a gift - he's all japanese trucks now - as are a heck of a lot of guys who use em for a living. We also have a Land Cruiser and I'll part with the 110 long before the LC

YMMV

Red

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
Well my dad has owned other off-roaders and then ended up buying another Defender as they just wouldn't go where he wanted them to. I am going to be a bit biassed as I think that the sun shines out of there rear but I'll be honest when I say that my dad or his mates have never had a Defender brake down on them, Discos yes but not Defenders, it is all a matter of preferance though. There is of course the Unimog, that is the only thing I'd consider for off-road travel other than a 110

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
back in the eighties a guy designed and built a few off roaders based on the 2cv but with bigger motors and the bodyshell was made of plywood not to everybodies taste but the guy went out of business if you look on difflock web site for africar you can read about them channel 4 made a series about them

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I'm looking for a car, and had thought about a crew cab defender pick-up. So I started looking around for one, and stumbled across an ad for a Saxon.

Six cylinder Bedford diesel engine, four wheel drive, four-speed Allison automatic gearbox with a high/low ratio transfer box.

1'4" of ground clearance.

Carries ten, er, "passengers" shall we call them?

http://www.khakicorpsimports.com/in-saxon.htm

I must say, I'm tempted. :D

K.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Keith,

Now thats a vehicle! Low profile, subtle , good all round visibility ....lol

When you take it to Tesco, you almost have to ahve the kids "bomb burst" out and set a perimter in the car park!

Red

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
British Red said:
Keith,

Now thats a vehicle! Low profile, subtle , good all round visibility ....lol

When you take it to Tesco, you almost have to ahve the kids "bomb burst" out and set a perimter in the car park!

Red

Visibility might be a bit limited through the windows, but could be easily fixed by attaching a few webcams and a couple of military "ruggedised" laptops inside the cab.

The height of the vehivle would stop you getting through some of the barriers; you know, the ones to stop nomads from bringing high-roof box vans and trailers onto the carparks. But with over a foot of ground clearance, you just go round the barrier and over the ditch.

The more I think about this thing, the more tempted I am.

Except that it would cost a fortune in diesel, unless I could make it earn its living as a workhorse (breakdown vehicle or novelty).

K.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Keith_Beef said:
The height of the vehivle would stop you getting through some of the barriers; you know, the ones to stop nomads from bringing high-roof box vans and trailers onto the carparks. But with over a foot of ground clearance, you just go round the barrier and over the ditch.

The more I think about this thing, the more tempted I am.

Actually, I don't think that they will stop you....

RGRBOX

Forager
I've got a Nissan Patrol (Long Version) and for the price, and what you get I wouldn't have anything else. It's not as classy as some of the ones on the market, but it's a solid 4x4. I have BF Goodrich ATs on it, and no problems when it come to traction. I fell in love the other night at the gas station where I live. I was walking out after paying, and there was parked my Patrol's twin.. unitl I saw that it had a lift kit on it, larger BF Good AT, and an aluminum slid plate on the engine bottom.., then I saw the sweet looking lady who was filling her up with diesel... she looked at me like I was crazy, until she saw me walk over get in, and drive off in my patrol... I dream of doing the same to mine, but I really don't need to.. Switzerland doesn't have any propper places to get her stuck.. and I try... anyway.. I wouldn't trade her.. unless it was for a new one.. and thank good the updated ones aren't much different then the older models.. mine is a 2002 model.. navy blue, and I've put 110,000 kms on her..

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
We got a Santana PS10 in January.
110 sized
Phosphor dipped chassis (no rust)
galvanised steel bodywork (no galvanic reaction)
Iveco 2.8 TD (cheap to fix)
Parabolic suspension (rediculous articulation)
washable interior
Best 4x4 2005

and 10k cheaper than 110 Defender!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE