1000s of tons of dead fish being dumped

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
On a non official quote about the state fisheries are in "they are in a **** state". We allow the fishermen to trawl and anything they catch that exceeds their quota for a specific catch, the size is beneath the agreed size by the EU or is out by percentile of the allowable catch they are all ditched back. This is by the ton of dead or dying fish and can never be replenished. The fishermen argue that the quota's are killing they're livelihood yet they're livelihood is stripping the sea's of every living thing. Watching Hugh Fearnley W on his recent show he was with a fisherman who had altered his nets to restrict the smaller undersize fish in. All we can do is to shut fishing down for a period and then restart it in an environmentally way. No one wants to admit it but there it is. I chased non-compliance fishermen in the channel, trouser leg and irish sea. Taking them to court was as useful as taking a hoodie to magistrates.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
We could always do what they do in Southern france and Italy - eat the ones that are caught instead of throwing them back dead. The fish are caught - it's a waste not to use them.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
this dumping of the excess of catch has been going on for years,as a kid we would go and scoop it up behind the beamers then sell it to the chippies and restaurants!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Mike you are right stopping subsidy overnight is not the answer. I am not standing for prime minister just having a tongue in cheek rant. I believe strongly in the theories outlined by Schumacker in "small is beautiful, economics as if people mattered" All I am saying is I would rather live in a country with smaller fishing boats and smaller farms. I would like to see those fishermen and farmers still earn a decent wage from their "less efficient" practices and am happy to pay for it.

Can u tell more about who shumacker is please (never heard of him)? Am I right in thinking he promotes genuine free enterprise, instead of the crapitalist collectivism that is nowadays passed off as "free enterprise" ? IE very minimal (or none at all even) beauracracy or "public:confused: " sector; minimal taxes, individuals responsible for themselves and there own families (free to defend themselves and there property), pursuit of excellence (in workmanship, durable quality of product's, developing personal skills, people allowed to make there own decisions, conserving resources etc) eco sensitive in a realistic and pracitical (not loony) sense, promotes sustainable living, healthy (not green police) respect for materials and resources, families and communities left to themselves, thriftiness etc etc?
I saw the fishing fleet at Hull dimish from hundreds of boats in the 60's to zilch now, I think the docks were filled in and they built nice new wimpey homes on it. I mean just as with the notion of a large fleet of small boat's (inshore fishing) to spread the profit around a viable and sustainable industry, its like the concept of abolishing flail cutters (that eventually kill good hedge's) and instead employ teams of hedge layers, sustainable local employment, good for the environment, habitat for aminal's etc :D , sound cost effective way of manitaining stock proof barrier's (fences are a t##t to keep in order, hedges look after themselves), keep money local and feeding a local economy spread it about, support's other local trades and services, rather than siphon the profits into a few greedyshareholder hand's in London or shanghai or some place else. COSTS MORE short term, but is a BETTER solution. I recntly met (on 2 seperate ocasion's) retired old boys who worked on farm's. They both did hedge laying, thatis until the hedge ripping craze took over in the 60's. They both said we knew it was wrong, but our employer's got subsidis to pull them ut and merge field's together, what would you of done? Now of course farmers can get subsidy to replace hedges and theres plenty of healthy new hedges being grown locally. Genuine free enterprise says "lets sit down and find the way to get you the best possible outcome (short and long term), even if the price is higher than usual" Capitalist collectivism says "f##k the consequences, cheapest is best, I get better profits that way, I sell you crappee product, you buy another next year, if your not happy f##k off"

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for the link. I'll try to study the smallis beautiful book. I must admit when I saw he was a protege of maynard Keyne's, had workked for the coal board as chief economic planner for 20 years and did like T blair (joined the catholic religion) I thought Oh yeah right....But fair do's, I will try to have a look at his book :)

geo_chris

Jan 31, 2007
Castleford, W Yorkshire
Line fishing as apposed to trawling, well line fishing can be just as bad. In order to meet market requirements the fishing industry could employ long line fishing which can have an adverse effect on the environment such as seabirds, etc being entangled in the lines. The problem lies not in the techinic employed but in how greedy the people who do the fishing are. Like all business today they are out to make a profit not a living and as a result there are consequences, these industries are stripping out the resoursces to make someone (or share holders) more money. They are a business that doesn't care about the environment or the sustainability of stocks but what money they can make, just like the governent with their taxes (i.e. their so called green taxes where they do nothing but tax people for not running more environmetally cars rather than investing in alternate fuel sources).

Rant over.

Hi Chris

This kind of thing has been going on since new rulling from Brussells came into being, its all down to money and figures at the cost to our enviornment, they cannot see what is really going on from where they are all sitting.

Today's throw away society as is the case is going to burn out rather quickly, China and similar emerging countries are doing much much more harm to the well being of the planet than our own industrial revolution ever did,.

And the west is encouraging this to happen by pumping huge amounts of money into China, in order of getting even bigger profits in return, everything is done for a reason to make it happen for wealth instead of common scence, buy local and you will fix some of the problems.

Today no body stocks anything any more, but they can get it for you the next day, this is one of the biggest contributers to global warming, playing right into the chancellors hands, never mind about the carbon footprint, each time he puts a penny on fuel earns him in the reigon of a billion pounds a day, hands being rubbed is the background picture

We are all responsible and adding to this problem every time we buy any of these cheap products, people here sufer from this policy and loose their jobe because of it, don't let the spin doctors tell you its too expensive to make things in our own counrty, that is what they want you to believe and how they have arranged it to look just like that, so they can make even more money at our expence, we are not encouraged to start a new business in Great Britain anymore, because the banks know fine well of the policies which are current and know that its too big a risk to lend.

Did you know that 87% of this countries wealth is controlled by just 7%, this is where the some of the trouble lies, that 7% are not happy with what they have got, they want it all for themselves and dam the rest of us, many politicians are part of that 7%, in one way or another with outside intrests and businesses, that benefit from making up their own rules to suit themselves.

Take for instance, when the motorcycle helmet law came into force, of course it made good scence to have such protection, but did you knnow that MP Peter Bottomley the MP who instigated the white paper rulling, had a direct links to Premier helmets, then soon to become the biggest manufacturer of helmet in the world, and it goes on today, when we are ruled by lawyers and such like we are open to these kinds of things.

Another thing that really bugs me when it comes to waste is, charities, many do a really good job, but most are left unchecked with many running at very high costs with only 5% of the money ever reaching the cause, this country has become a charity nation, most of our money and health service issues could be wiped away over night if huge wealthy businessmen like Branson and the like put a tiny amount of what they own into things,

It is more important to pollute our world with huge amounts of CO2, than help protect the people who live in it, did you know that a plane burns nearly 90 tons of fuel each time it makes a journey, again, those that use them are contributing towards things, so what does the man at number 11 do, TAX IT, do we not understand that all the money in taxes is not going to stop the CO2 getting into the atmosphere, neither is the money in taxes going to be able to remove it once its there.

One might say, why should the super rich or 7% help eleiviate the problems, we have a government that is supposed to do that for us, if that's true where has all that money l gone to, those who have worked most of their lives have already paid in advance for this treatment, so why the big waiting lists, again its down to silly rules and regulations, too many cheifs and not enough indians, privatising anything that was once run by a society is asking for trouble, the 7% come back into play again, money to them is more important than life itself, no matter how much money one has will never sort out the problems, because we hide/stash it away from everyone else, all the money in the world will never replace it, without a world which we can survive in, we will cease to exist.

We don't need experts to tell us what is going on, all the evidence is here and now right in front of our noses in every day life, are we all blind, fix the cause not the problem.

I guess many of you know about this, so I will stop banging on, please excuse my spelling mistakes, I wasn't very good at English at school, HA HA.

Davy.

Nice one John

Polotician, Ecconomist, Lawyer, Liar, there all the same just spelt diferently.

My Grandfather once said to me, two of the biggest problems in today's or any society are, making someone work for nothing, and giving others something for nothing, all the larger corporations do this on a daily basis, Tesco, Coaca Cola, etc etc, just remember this, if we are getting something for next to nothing as the saying goes in bussiness, you can bet that some one some where else is working for nothing, I call it good old fashioned slavery.

:lmao:

Davy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE