Youth Hunt!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Great news! I've mentioned the Eglin Air Force Base military reservation on here before and the outdoor recreational opportunities it provides. Among other things they have a drawing every year for a youth hunt (one of several such hunts they do) This year I submitted an application for my oldest grandson, James, and this morning I got a phone call from Jackson Guard (the division that overseas conservation and recreation on the reservation) notifying me that he'd been selected.

I chaperoned the grandson of a fiance on one such hunt about 15 years ago and it was great. They take the youths onto an area of the reservation that's normally closed to civilians and place them on a stand for a two day hunt. The success ratio is around 75% - 80% for making at leastb1 kill. The kids (ages between 10 and 15) are allowed up to 2 deer (1 of which can be antlerless) if I remember correctly. Also they're allowed an unlimited number of feral hog and coyote.

Of course there's no guarantee of a kill but it's always a fun time. Now to work out the details with my daughter about whether she'll let him camp with me near the hunt muster.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fantastic! What an opportunity. A couple of kills would be the cream off the top. Are the hogs good eating?
Got my fingers crossed already.

We have LEH (Limited Entry Hunting) which is a micro-managed lottery for all sorts of species.
One year, me and my pals had tags for just about anything that moved. Total zip the next year!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fantastic! What an opportunity. A couple of kills would be the cream off the top. Are the hogs good eating?
Got my fingers crossed already.....

Thanks RV. I've only ever eaten wild hog once; it was good but not what you'd normally associate as pork. I imagine the exact taste varies largely with the hogs' local diets.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have heard about those hunts on military lands in the US. I think young James is very fortunate to get that opportunity!
I wish him Good Hunting!

Wild male pigs and male boar are best when young, before puberty. After that the meat can taste not so well. Females are better for much longer.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Starting to get more excited about this. My daughter was more willing to let James camp near the muster site than I expected. In fact she seemed enthusiastic that he get the full deer camp experience. His grandmother and I will set up camp Friday morning, I'll pick him up from school that afternoon and we'll go straight to the pre-hunt briefing before we go to our camp.

Last trigger session with him this afternoon and then we'll pack his gear and toss it in the truck. Tomorrow night I'll pack mine as well as our food and do the same.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Santaman, did you get the tornado there a day or two ago ? My boss live in Niceville and said it ripped through his estate.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, did you get the tornado there a day or two ago ? My boss live in Niceville and said it ripped through his estate.

Niceville's about 12 miles south of where i live in the south end of Crestview. We had a very large and damaging thunderstorm with tornado conditions (violent weather likely to produce a tornado) No confirmed touchdowns but some pretty good wind damage; possibly from micrbursts.

We'll actually be camping on the Eglin Military reservation just a mile or two from Niceville. The hunt itself will be a bit farther away.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Niceville's about 12 miles south of where i live in the south end of Crestview. We had a very large and damaging thunderstorm with tornado conditions (violent weather likely to produce a tornado) but no confirmed touchdowns. There was some pretty good wind damage; possibly from a tornado or microbursts.

We'll actually be camping at Anderson Pond on the Eglin Military reservation just a few miles from Niceville. The hunt itself will be a bit farther away.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well pix will have to wait until the film is processed (yeah, I'm that far behind the times) In the meatime here's the update as i also posted on facebook:

Sadly no venison
1f641.png
:( Fantastic hunt none-the-less! The first day James did shoot a huge buck. His first shot ever at a live deer and he knocked it for a loop! (barely 15 minutes after shooting light!) It went down hard and lay there behind some thick brush. Meanwhile he spotted a coyote that had been trailing the buck! Unfortunately two things went bad then: 1) the coyote spotted James at the same time and took off before he got a shot, and 2) when we went down to check the deer, it came back too and took off like it had suffered no more than a bee sting! James was shooting 165 grain 30-06! He got off two more shots at it as it ran off but missed those. The guide and some of the assistants tracked it with dogs for 3/4 mile before they lost it. They suspect he hit a little high and just stunned it (near the spine without being close enough to break it)

We left the stand at 11:00 to go to the cleaning station for lunch. I had brought cold food to eat on the stand but at the pre hunt briefing they told us there would be volunteers cooking a hot lunch : hamburgers, hot dogs, and pulled pork. Volunteer to cook and help clean deer were from a local hunting club as well as active duty from local Air force and Army bases. On the way back to the stand after lunch I spotted a wild hog crossing the trail ahead and then a piglet after her. when we walked to where they had crossed James saw where they had been rooting. While we were investigating that we heard a grunt! There were still two more hogs in the woods near the trail! Jame got a shot at one of them as they ran off but missed again
1f641.png

So to sum up, in the first half day he got to see all three critters we had come out to hunt (deer, pigs, and coyotes) and got a shot at two of them; he actually hit the first one (and hit it hard) The rest of the weekend we only saw live deer once and they were a bit too far away as we were coming off the stand at the end of the day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE