Worst case scenario

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Recent events got me thinking ...... what if I found myself in the midst of a terror attack , say for example Bataclan , Manchester Arena or maybe an explosion on a train or underground ?

I am aware of current government advice to run , hide tell ......

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stay-safe-film

but what if you can't ?

I thought about what kit might be most useful , my solution is not exhaustive and assumes you will have your bag , phone or access to your pocket dump .

I came up with these .....
42798c5a73cc64eb5b3da3ecd8bc19f1.jpg

640cb1722dfb6cee6816a021ca6b9116.jpg

4374f274b9ef5c8ec32c4ac0a31a3f70.jpg

One is for my wife who travels extensively on the train and underground , the other for me .

Please bear in mind these grew from thinking about various scenarios possible , I know some on here don't hold much truck for doomsday mentality , that wasn't my motivation , it was purely thinking about how to stay alive and attract help in the immediacy of an attack .

My thinking is , trauma dressing , gloves and tourniquet ( for worst case / living saving use and following appropriate training to use) for treatment of traumatic injury , cyalume stick and whistle to attract help in a chaotic and confused environment . Other items could be considered as per individual requirements.

Thanks for looking , constructive comment welcome .......,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Looks like a well thought out kit for what you describe. I am sure you do but it's worth reminding people to carry a bottle of water on the underground. Incidents like this can stop the trains leaving passengers stuck underground.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Small bottle of water and a bandanna. If there's smoke or gas, wet the bandanna and breathe through it.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Seems a sensible kit to carry anywhere if you are more than a few minutes from an A&E. As other have suggested, water (and perhaps an emergency Mars bar and foil blanket) would be sensible additions as would making sure that you would be happy walking 5 miles in whatever you have on your feet - less of an issue for blokes.

However, instead of focussing on the "worst case scenario" which can lead those of a more excitable disposition to start thinking about battling zombies and/or jihadists, a nuclear holocaust or other end of days scenarios, surely it is better to focus on realistic scenarios that are likely to happen.

IMHO, the current security issues don't significantly alter the risks to any given individual and however gruesome the aftermath of a terrorist atrocity might be, the emergency services will on the scene within minutes offering expert assistance. Personally, I'd be more concerned about being involved in (or coming across) a routine RTA or other accident in a remote location where medical attention may be some time away, getting out of a building or train in a power cut or fire or walking home if transport is disrupted by industrial action, leaves on the line or the wrong type of snow.

I'm used to working with sharp tools and travelling in remote locations where even if emergency medical care is available, the chances are if I have a serious injury, I would have bled out by the time they arrive if I cannot sort things out myself and have recently added one of those newfangled "Israeli" bandages that you have to my EDC kit. I sincerely hope that I never have to use it on either myself or anyone else but the ability to apply significant pressure to a wound one handed makes IMHO an essential bit of kit for about £6 for anyone who likes playing with sharps in the woods or anywhere other than an A&E ward.

If you are seriously trying to work out what the "worst case scenarios" or even just "serious risks worth mitigating" are, the ONS breakdowns for the half million or so people in England and Wales who die each year make interesting reading - the chances of being killed in a terrorist atrocity or being murdered pale into insignificance compared with the risks of dying early from self-inflicted heart disease, lung and other avoidable cancers etc. or diseases such as prostate cancer which are easily treated if diagnosed early enough.

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/what-are-the-top-causes-of-death-by-age-and-gender/

For most people some simple but boring lifestyle choices and/or screening would make far more difference to their life expectancy than anything they could buy or carry. There is nothing wrong with taking sensible precautions (and I appreciate that the OP is being sensible and sincere in his concerns), but it always amuses me to see Utube vids of well upholstered pr£ppers excitedly reviewing kit they hope will save their lives in all kinds of improbable scenarios, while ignoring the fact that losing a few stone would significantly reduce the chances of type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease etc. which are highly likely to shorten their lives and/or improve their chances of outrunning zombies or walking more than 100 yards to their carefully prepared "bugout" location carrying all their kit!

Say safe! :)

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nothing extra. You can not be prepared for extreme situations like this. The likelihood you will be exposed is basically Zero.
I do not carry a parachute when I fly either.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The First Aid Aspect is a good inclusion for a Car I'd say without raising eyebrows of a paranoid nature so why not other forms of commuting.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What's the nature of the attack?

-Chemical? Do you have a gas mask?
-Biological? Are your vaccines up to date?

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
For anyone not familiar with the "Israeli" bandage, here is a useful video on how to use it to dress a selection of wounds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v6n-mDTsNg8

A great piece of kit especially for those are us who are all fingers and thumbs when trying to do bandages.

Available in a variety of widths for £6-10 from the usual suspects.

It goes with out saying that being able to do basic first aid inc CPR should be an essential skill for any outdoorsy types (or indeed anyone else whether contemplating "worst case scenarios" or otherwise) and IMHO should be a compulsory subject in schools. :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For anyone not familiar with the "Israeli" bandage, here is a useful video on how to use it to dress a selection of wounds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v6n-mDTsNg8

A great piece of kit especially for those are us who are all fingers and thumbs when trying to do bandages.

Available in a variety of widths for £6-10 from the usual suspects.

It goes with out saying that being able to do basic first aid inc CPR should be an essential skill for any outdoorsy types (or indeed anyone else whether contemplating "worst case scenarios" or otherwise) and IMHO should be a compulsory subject in schools. :)

2nd that notion. Great idea.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Also, knowing how to administer first aid to yourself or others, especially using improvised means.

Sometimes, just thinking through the what-ifs can be useful, too. You can go from the mundane (alternative ways home from work, dealing with long power cuts, no water in the house) to the exceptional (fire in hotel, big accident/attack at holiday destination) and just consider your options, alternative routes, what would be handy and where can you get it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We are at the end of a 500 mile power line. Power failures here in McBride are a rich tradition. What will you spend to compensate?
At night, in the winter, with -20C and a snowstorm, it's something to consider. I'm ready for about 8 hours at 500W at 117VAC.
There's no novelty. One a day, one a week is normal.

With power failures, landline communications with cordless telephones is a fail.
I keep an old plug-in digital phone as the telephone company power seems to be totally seperate and apart from the house grid.
What about yours?

Day before yesterday, there was a sudden water shut off (broken line down the street.)
I was not even prepared to make a second pot of coffee!
By the time I got the 2 and 5 gallon water jugs filled, the repair had been finished.
Aside from the toilets, I estimate that I could get by with less than 5 gallons per day.

There are very few highways in the interior of British Columbia.
No, there's no round-about path to go home.
We are in the worst wildfire season in our history and many of those few highways are closed.
Some 45,000 people got shifted to emergency camps away from the fires.

The best I can do for myself is to staunch the bleeding until I can get to the emergency service at the local hospital.
What I'm saying is that nose-blow tissue and masking tape wasn't good enough!

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
Recent events got me thinking ...... what if I found myself in the midst of a terror attack , say for example Bataclan , Manchester Arena or maybe an explosion on a train or underground ?

Please bear in mind these grew from thinking about various scenarios possible , I know some on here don't hold much truck for doomsday mentality , that wasn't my motivation , it was purely thinking about how to stay alive and attract help in the immediacy of an attack .

My thinking is , trauma dressing , gloves and tourniquet ( for worst case / living saving use and following appropriate training to use) for treatment of traumatic injury , cyalume stick and whistle to attract help in a chaotic and confused environment . Other items could be considered as per individual requirements.

Thanks for looking , constructive comment welcome .......,

The above scenario you describe will take place within an urban environment.

As such, no need to carry anything, given there will be a pharmacy nearby. £20 note will do the job.

If things completely fell to pieces, no need even for the £20 as you could just raid a shop of your choosing.

The main problem with doomsday thinking is it is generally always defensive. Now, I'm not advocating what I'm about to say, but if everything collapses it would be far easier to dispose of neighbours and take their provisions than it would to hunt a muntjac on a remote hillside.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Seems like a decent kit, just make sure you keep it on your person. More than likely in the event of a blast you'll be separated from any cases and luggage and time spent looking for them would be better spent being the first to the exit.

Tonyuk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
When I was young "worst case scenario" was falling asleep on the last train on the way home and waking up at the last stop :) - in those days I had a 2L water bottle, a couple bits of fruit and waterproofs everytime I left the house, and the willingness to sleep under a hedge if the walk home was too far :).

Now I live in a rural area where being snowed in is the most likely worse case scenario - even then supplies to shops would make it through after a day or two [still doesn't stop folks panic buying milk and bread :)]

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The above scenario you describe will take place within an urban environment.

As such, no need to carry anything, given there will be a pharmacy nearby. £20 note will do the job.

If things completely fell to pieces, no need even for the £20 as you could just raid a shop of your choosing.

The main problem with doomsday thinking is it is generally always defensive. Now, I'm not advocating what I'm about to say, but if everything collapses it would be far easier to dispose of neighbours and take their provisions than it would to hunt a muntjac on a remote hillside.

I wonder what happens when they have that same idea before you and are better skilled or equipped.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I wonder what happens when they have that same idea before you and are better skilled or equipped.

Unfortunately he's maybe near enough to call a neighbour up here .... :)

I'd rather work with my neighbours as they are all farmers and fishermen :)

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I second (third?) the idea that first aid training is a must. Even Basic Life Support can make the difference between life and death,alyhough that is for someone else, as you can't use BLS on yourself. A simple intro course will give you the basic skills to stop a nasty bleed long enough to get the casualty to definitive medical care and is probably the training you will use more than any other.

As for day to day carry.

I was caught up on the fringes of the tube bombings in 2005. Not directly involved but close enough to make me think "what if". As a result I updated the bits I carry in my laptop rucksack and pockets.

I now have -

Pockets:
- AAA torch
- street legal folding knife
- lighter
- pen
- 1m duct tape wrap
- phone
- wallet with ID, cash and cards

Bag:
- dust mask
- nitrile gloves
- trauma dressing
- tourniquet
- swabs
- plasters
- compeed blister dressing (it was a long walk to the hotel!)
- basic medication (painkillers, antihistamines, etc)
- Petzel emergency head torch
- spare AAA batteries
- power pack to recharge phone
- 0.5L bottled water
- high energy snacks
- lightweight pertex jacket (it was a wet walk to the hotel!)
- cheap strobe the size of a 50p

This kit takes up only a small amount of space and is lightweight. Even so, I can handle any reasonable trauma situation and keep myself relatively comfortable, entertained, informed and in contact for a day or so. I have had reason to use all of the bits from my pockets on a normal day to day. While some of the bag bits have seen use too (thankfully not the Trauma dressing or tourniquet!).

Don't get me started on what I keep in the car! :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Pretty poor advice even in jest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE