Wool blanket or synthetic fleece blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
I have done a lot of reading about wool blankets over the past few weeks and I can't really see a difference between a 100% ( or high content) natural wool blanket and a fleece blanket apart from the fleece is lighter and the wool has some fire resistance.
I'm going on a 3 day kayaking trip early October so I could do with an extra layer on top of my sleeping bag and was thinking that I could carry 2 big fleece blankets for the same weight as a large wool blanket.
Is this the way forward or am I missing something ?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Same as Nice65 - I'm pretty Anti-fleece now - irrespective of temperatures and humidity, it always feels sweaty and clammy and doesn't take long to develop that "lived-in" smell. Wool on the other hand, I find to be warm without any claminess, retains that warmth with a thinner layer and as Crosslandkelly mentioned; it will retain some warmth even when wet, And as it rarely develops an objectionable odor - can go for longer periods between laundering.

ATB

Ogri the trog

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
I've got an old wool blanket that I bought nearly 20 years ago that lives in the living room for occasional use on cold nights and also regularly taken on camping trips for extra warmth when I think I'll need it. Still warm as, and looks great. Good to still have it around.

Whatever you get just get something good quality that will last, and get good use from it. I'm sure there's synthetic fibre gear out there that'll meet your needs too.

Reactions: mowerman

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Definitely wool.
Though be careful not to affect the loft of your sleeping bag. I often put a wool blanket, inside my jungle bag. Very versatile sleep system.

Reactions: KenThis

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Definitely wool.
Though be careful not to affect the loft of your sleeping bag. I often put a wool blanket, inside my jungle bag. Very versatile sleep system.

This is definitely true. I have a very heavy Dutch Army blanket, easily enough to go under and over me. But if I just put it over me in my sleeping bag it does squash the loft of the bag. After night one (bit chilly), in The Lake Disrict in October, I put half under me and pulled the other half over. Sorted and snug. :)

Reactions: KenThis

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As you are cayaking some extra weight difference does not matter?

But frankly speaking, you should not need an extra blanket, the sleeping bag should be enough. If you do it is for the wrong temperature range. I bag is for very cold temperatures, fine summertime too, I just leave the zip open a bit.

Reactions: Philster

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
You'd be better off with a lightweight down throw, like this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northpoint...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=20GDE4A8F2Z9XKHXV7JZ

Very popular over here for making summer weight top quilts for hammocking. I bought two for about $50 in the local Bed Bath & Beyond store. made two top quilts, use one for summer (typical 25-30 deg c) and put two together to make a 3 season quilt. Each weighs just 440 grams.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I was quite tempted by that northpoint down throw - until i read the description closer, 'down alternative'. I've been looking for a cheap down throw for awhile [since I saw the black diamond one folks in the states were using - apparently you could get if from costco - but seems to be discontinued.]

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I have done a lot of reading about wool blankets over the past few weeks and I can't really see a difference between a 100% ( or high content) natural wool blanket and a fleece blanket apart from the fleece is lighter and the wool has some fire resistance.
I'm going on a 3 day kayaking trip early October so I could do with an extra layer on top of my sleeping bag and was thinking that I could carry 2 big fleece blankets for the same weight as a large wool blanket.

And after having slept in those fleece thingies for 3 days hand them over to someone else and ask them to smell them.....
Wool is not only much more fire resistant than fleece (I really would never use fleece anywhere near an open fire) it also has some form of antibacterial features. It will not smell as bad as fleece. Not even close.
Then there is the issue of highly annoying static electricity plus durability (a wool blanket will take far more (ab)use than a fleece thingy).
And as John mentioned there are the issues of ethics and esthetics; fleece is plastic and as such nondegradable, either when throwing the blanket away or when washing and releasing microplastics. A wool blanket usually means reuse and fleece is coughed up in some far away factory with all the issues involved.

There is this saying; you are what you eat.... But when it comes to the outdoors I would like to add; you are what you use.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Pesonally, wool.

i have an old Austrian wool blanket (not military but 100% wool) that's lovely. Had it years and it holds up to abuse well, we use it under our sleeping bags when camping. It's heavier than fleece but it's definitely superior.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If your set on taking blankets then I would definitely go for fleece, a wool blanket will triple in weight when wet and wont dry, fleece can be rung out relatively easily, fleece will keep you just as warm and will insulate well when wet (although not nearly as well as a dry blanket.

Personally i would just bring a warmer sleeping bag, blankets are a faff you can do without.

Tonyuk

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The idea with a sleeping bag insulator is to be fluffy, that is the trapped, immobile air that insulates.
Placing a blanket of any weight on top will compress this and the insulation will go down.
Place a wet blanket on top and your s. bag will compress a lot and will get wet. Less than ideal situation imo

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My barrel-bag has Holofill in the bottom half and down in the top half. Sheltered from a blizzard, that seemed OK.
In g/m^2, even a wool blanket won't cause much compression. Would that ever be cozy! I'd try it in a tent.
I think the bigger deal is to get off the ground, even in a tent with a floor.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My barrel-bag has Holofill in the bottom half and down in the top half. Sheltered from a blizzard, that seemed OK.
In g/m^2, even a wool blanket won't cause much compression. Would that ever be cozy! I'd try it in a tent.
I think the bigger deal is to get off the ground, even in a tent with a floor.

I guess it depends on the weight of the blanket? In our norwegian house we have an emergency kit in case the electricity goes and we are unsble to lit the woodburner.
The blankets are old ex army I bought. Thick and heavy.

Pine boughts ( branches) are good floor insulators.
But then of course you break the law, but in winter I do not care.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
One vote for synthetic. Wool is far too heavy. I prefer wool as undergarment, but my sleep system is strictly synthetic. As extra blanket I take a U.S. Poncho liner. Which is alway in my wifes travel bag too. Imho: nothing beats a poncho liner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE