Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I came back yesterday from the week-long fundamental bushcraft course and here are a few words about it...

(First, my background... No real bushcraft experience, plenty of mountain travel and wild-camping experience but nothing without a big pack full of nice modern kit).

We all met up at a tearoom at the edge of a forest just outside Tunbridge Wells. Those of us there for the course were easy to spot, wearing green clothes and carrying backpacks. At the agreed time two landrovers pulled into the car park, we loaded up and were off. A short drive later we were in the woods, at a very similar setup as described in the Woodlore intro to bushcraft thread.

There were 16 of us in the group with 4 staff members. -3 of whom can be found in the biog section of the woodlore website; Willow, Phil and Dan (the fourth member, Scott is not listed yet).

The course covered the following topics:
Plant and tree identification and use
Use and care of knives (all students are issued with a Frosts Mora to keep) and a tool roll containing Laplander saw, crook knife, flint and steel, firestick and DC4 sharpener to borrow for the week.
Tarp pitching
Packing
Hypothermia symptoms and treatment
Carving (we made a billy holder, tent pegs, bow drill set, spoon and innuit fish hook as well as a hobo fishing kit and rabbit snare)
Fishing and trapping
Nettle cordage
Fire-making (by bow-drill, flint and steel, firestick, 'one-match lighting' feathersticks)
Tinder preparation including amadou, birch bark, bracken
A small amount of natural navigation
Water purification
Rabbit gutting and preparation to eat.
Salmon cooked by panassing
Shelter building (leaf shelters)
No-trace camping

There were lots of other bits and pieces too. The week ended in a four-hour test of our skills beginning with plant/tree identification and use, fire-making, display of the things we'd made, snare setting, knife care

The course was pretty intensive, most days began at 7.30, at this time we needed to be ready to leave camp, breakfast eaten etc. It was made clear to us that as we'd all paid a lot of money for the course there'd be no hanging around. Days ended around 10.30pm.
We never had time to get bored, there was always something to be done, either a talk, a task or bow-drill practice!

Meals were supplied and a lot of them cooked for us. The standard of the food was excellent and plentiful. A brew-box and fruit box were available to us whenever we wanted it.

Throughout the week the groups of us really bonded and by the end the camaraderie and banter was fantastic.

Overall, I though the course was brilliant. It cost £600 and was worth every single penny. I came home on the train looking longingly at all the woodland I passed, just wishing I was back there for more.

Jay

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Overall, I though the course was brilliant. It cost £600 and was worth every single penny. I came home on the train looking longingly at all the woodland I passed, just wishing I was back there for morey

Sounds like you had a great time :) do you plan to take the 'Journeyman' course?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Glad you liked it, the first step to building a bit of wild camping confidence and awareness. Phil's got a brilliant sense of humour hasn't he? Dryer than a sandsnake's backside.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I only took a few photos, mostly of the 'parachute' which was the centrepiece of the base camp.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/lordyosch/bushcraft/29072008174.jpg
This is the parachute at base camp, the fire was always burning

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/lordyosch/bushcraft/27072008171.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/lordyosch/bushcraft/28072008172.jpg
Bed for the night in a sweet chestnut grove

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/lordyosch/bushcraft/29072008173.jpg
My first fire by friction (flint+steel and charcloth)

I'd love to do the journeyman course but its another £650 quid, and another week away from domestic duties!

Jay

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for posting this Jay, you gave a lot more info about the course than Woodlore themselves do

I'm off on the same course in just over a weeks time with Paul Kirtley down as course leader. Can't wait for the time to come around now that the bushmoot is over with. Looks like I'm in for a great time :D

I posted a recent thread about any advise or tips about the course and any little 'extras' that I might need to make the course more enjoyable.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=420382&postcount=1

Anything you like to add to other peoples comments?

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Thanks for posting this Jay, you gave a lot more info about the course than Woodlore themselves do

I think woodlore remain a little vague on the specifics because there is a Syllabus given to the instructors by Ray but they are free to tailor it to suit the group and themselves. For example, we were pretty quick as a group so the innuit fishhook was added in because we'd covered all the ground we needed to.

I've added my kit list to your thread.

Jay

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hello

Did this course last year with Willow and Phil et al - Really good

I think Woodlore don't release to many details so you don't try and second guess to much

I have a couple of good memories - drove back into Tonbridge on the Saturday afternoon and remember thinking how manic the town was - it wasn't really it was just that I had detuned from urban life so much I was mega chilled out.

On returning home my wife asked what I had learned and couldn't recall a single thing - but over the coming weeks and months I caught my self reliving all of the course over and over

If I get really stressed I imagine myself lying in my bivvy under the tarp in the chestnut woods early one morning thinking about how brilliant life can be

Gaz

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Its amazing how strange coming back home to a town feels after only a week. Its a cracking course and sets you up well for a lifetimes learning.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Its definitely affrected me. I went out for a walk and came home with Birch Bark (from a dead tree) I went out cycling and came back with a helmet full of cat tails!

My crook knife, DC4 and laplander saw arrived today and I just can't wait to get back into the woods!

Jay

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I did the same course in July and loved every minute of it.

I wanted to do the Journeyman course but when I got back it was fully booked for 2009. Then after reading the small print of the kit list I saw that you can take an axe on the journeyman if you do the camp craft course first, so 10 minutes later I was booked for that instead :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE