Woodland stewardship

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
20180609_092542-2.jpg

I have very recently completed on a wood. There are old sweet chestnut and oaks, and it has been totally unmanaged for some time.
20180609_110933-3.jpg

This beech with the huge fungi is still living but has the top blown off by what looks like a lightning strike.
I intend to just use the wood for chilling out and after a full year of observation to start a bit of management to increase the bio-diversity.
20180609_101516-2.jpg

I can see any management will be a slow process. Under the canopy the bramble and ferns are rife, but easily pulled up from the deep leaf mold.
20180609_092756-2.jpg

20180623_140806.jpg

I hope to take photographs from each visit to give me a pictorial record of the changes brought on by the seasons.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Am I green with envy? Not arf. It was once my dream to own a piece of woodland, we looked into it seriously in the family, but never found the right place. Now I am having to do everything the hard way and plant trees, while I wait until I am eighty years old to get the benefit of then :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ahh, the luxury of flat woodland! :) Looks great. Is it close to you?

It's a good plan to sit and wait. Increasing bio-diversity of 'pretty' species at the cost of the species already there should be avoided in my opinion. The standard mantra of 'let the light in' can be detrimental to mosses, ferns, liverworts and species that lurk in the dark damp corners of unmanaged woods :)

Our wood (just over the border) is hillside oak and ash predominantly but it would still be worth comparing notes some time. Have you joined the Small Woods Association in Ironbridge?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Wish you all the best in your endeavour. But do be careful. A young bushcrafter was killed in a wood in Redruth at the weekend.by a tree falling on him whilst asleep. A lot of our woods and forests due to neglect are very dangerous places

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Ahh, the luxury of flat woodland! :) Looks great. Is it close to you?

It's a good plan to sit and wait. Increasing bio-diversity of 'pretty' species at the cost of the species already there should be avoided in my opinion. The standard mantra of 'let the light in' can be detrimental to mosses, ferns, liverworts and species that lurk in the dark damp corners of unmanaged woods :)

Our wood (just over the border) is hillside oak and ash predominantly but it would still be worth comparing notes some time. Have you joined the Small Woods Association in Ironbridge?
I have spoken with the small woods association regarding courses. I found the lady with whom I spoke to be very reticent in giving any information and just intent on getting me to join on line. All a bit off-putting. Unless I can see a benefit from joining other than providing income for them I wouldn't bother. It may be that I asked the wrong questions, but I didn't get anything from the call at all.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not really surprised; they can appear very amateur at times. I wasn't necessarily advocating them just asking if you had joined as they are so close. I've only attended one (free) demo day sponsored by the Forestry Commission which was worthwhile. They are very orientated towards commercial woodland use and do preach the 'let the light in' mantra. Most of the information available is well documented on the web or in books anyway. There are loads of societies and groups that are eager to take your money - I can't see much benefit from any of them to be honest except access to a community that has or had the same issues as I'll experience over the years i.e. people actually doing it instead of lecturing on doing it.

The Small Woodlands Owners Group is free http://www.swog.org.uk/ - you've probably seen that. The magazine is a useful update of what's going on especially news about pests and problems.

Anyway, off-topic really, this is a photography thread! :)
so, here's mine :)

Series III in wood.jpg

IMG_1309 - 2 - 25.jpg

Reactions: BJJJ

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Looks lovely Bill :)

I had a year's free membership to the Royal Forestry Association and the Small Woods Association last year and sadly didn't find them of any use or interest at all during that time, despite hoping to find all sorts of useful courses and information. Didn't bother to pay for the second year !

Despite the shortcomings generally of Facebook groups, the Small Woodland Owners Group (SWOG) is really useful with a lot of professionals and experienced folk freely giving their advice and sharing experiences, well worth joining up, even if generally allergic to FB !!!

Have a look at the differences between ferns and bracken, would be a shame to pull out ferns but bracken of course can be quite invasive. Likewise, too much bramble can be an issue but on the other hand it's a great resource for insects, birds and wildlife, so not all bad necessarily :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Not really surprised; they can appear very amateur at times. I wasn't necessarily advocating them just asking if you had joined as they are so close. I've only attended one (free) demo day sponsored by the Forestry Commission which was worthwhile. They are very orientated towards commercial woodland use and do preach the 'let the light in' mantra. Most of the information available is well documented on the web or in books anyway. There are loads of societies and groups that are eager to take your money - I can't see much benefit from any of them to be honest except access to a community that has or had the same issues as I'll experience over the years i.e. people actually doing it instead of lecturing on doing it.

The Small Woodlands Owners Group is free http://www.swog.org.uk/ - you've probably seen that. The magazine is a useful update of what's going on especially news about pests and problems.

Anyway, off-topic really, this is a photography thread! :)
so, here's mine :)

View attachment 50135

View attachment 50136
Lovely photographs, I do follow the SWOG on facebook and find it quire refreshing with some really enthusiastic people.

Reactions: Paulm

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Looks lovely Bill :)

I had a year's free membership to the Royal Forestry Association and the Small Woods Association last year and sadly didn't find them of any use or interest at all during that time, despite hoping to find all sorts of useful courses and information. Didn't bother to pay for the second year !

Despite the shortcomings generally of Facebook groups, the Small Woodland Owners Group (SWOG) is really useful with a lot of professionals and experienced folk freely giving their advice and sharing experiences, well worth joining up, even if generally allergic to FB !!!

Have a look at the differences between ferns and bracken, would be a shame to pull out ferns but bracken of course can be quite invasive. Likewise, too much bramble can be an issue but on the other hand it's a great resource for insects, birds and wildlife, so not all bad necessarily :)
I am leaving all the undergrowth alone around the perimeter and only clearing where I need paths to access areas. Loads of blackberries at the moment.:joyful:

Reactions: Paulm

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
20180816_144308.jpg

one of the tracks I have just cleared of bramble and fern.
20180816_144340.jpg

The track goes into a conifer ring, evidence of owls and sparrowhawks. plucked feathers and owl pellets.
20180816_142425.jpg

A KD bespoke fire pit with pot hangers made from 3 m/m steel . all finished and tidy now.
20180816_134351.jpg

The outer edge of the conifers, all the rest is broadleaf. No undergrowth at all in here.

Reactions: Sundowner

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE