Wood burning stove features - advice sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,
I'm in the market for a woodburning stove I can use in a tent for this time of year. I don't like the Pioneer style (with three folding legs) as I've seen several become tippy with pots on them and once enjoyed being in a tent when one fell over. I'm looking for a stove with a folding leg like the one below.

If I could afford it, I'd go for the Norwegian g- stove.

My question is, does it matter if there is or is not a removeable plate on the top? The ones that feature it state that it helps with cooking. Is this the case? The g-stove doesn't have one but is widely praised, plus it's made in a cold and snowy country where I'd imagine they know what they're doing regarding winter hot tenting.

Are there other points I should consider, such as is it worth the price difference to pay for a stainless stove? I've been in hot tents but have never given much thought to the stove as I'd not envisaged buying one unti now when my circumstances have changed.

Advice on removeable plate and stainless or not much appreciated from those of you out there with more experience.

All the best.image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 29

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
In answer to your Q. no you dont I have lived off grid for years and used log burners, by putting 2p pieces on three sides the more you use the the slower the cook time and the food doesn't stick to the pan.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
You don't have to have the removable plate, in fact I don't like them, my Frontier has one and I don't think I'll ever use it, I don't like the idea as a spark or ember could easily fly through when swapping from pan to cover ( just my view ) and yes, I know the same 'could' be said for the door, stainless, heavy imho not needed. I take it you're car camping or a semi permanent set up ? Have you considered Titanium ?

Reactions: KIMBOKO

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the replies, folks.
Looks like a removable plate not needed.
I doubt if I'd be able to afford titanium.
I like the look of the stainless stoves - don't know much about them.
I think - but need to check - that there's not much difference in weight.
I don't intend to carry the stoves much beyond a wee bimble into local woodland, perhaps 5 miles max. I would like to take it in a canoe, but will consult friends who may have experience of that type of transport.
Has anyone out there used a g-stove? Experiences appreciated if any there.
All the best.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that stainless steel looks pretty in the beginning. It won't last.
I have cooked on at least 17 different gas BBQ over the years. Many of those have had very attractive s/s burners.
Weekly or more use over a year and the the burner looks as red-rust as any other.
That's going to get wiped onto every passing surface.
Mind you, it could be assisted by the galvanic corrosion of different kinds of metals in the over all constructions.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
If you're still thirsting for more intel, I have a colapsible titanium stove by Seek outside, that I use in their BCS1. I think they changed their design a while back. Not cheap to import, but quality kit.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for all the updates - sorry I haven't been looking here recently.

Interesting info about the long-term effects on stainless. I have seen a couple of VERY rusty outback type stoves that made me wonder if stainless might be a good move. If it's not worth the difference I'll save my hard-earned for other purposes.

Like the ammo tin - it may be the way forward. I'll need to talk to some friends with welding skills, etc - mine suck!

Thanks for the ref to Seek - I've not come across them before but will have a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE