Winter Tarp Suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Good morning everyone,

Can someone suggest to me a winter tarp for hammocking (one with doors) that's easy to get hold of in the uk, i.e not going to get hit by customs charges as i would if buying from states and one thats not gonna cost me an arm and a leg!

Thanks!

Meadows

Mar 15, 2015
Sheffield
Uk hammocks cat door tarp are sometimes in stock. But you still might have to wait a while.

BeUL custom make tarps. But you still might have to wait a while.

DD XL ie 4.5m x 3m is to long for a hammock tarp for winter as the length means it sits very high above your suspension and has limited side coverage.

In essence in the UK we are limited.
There are 4x3m silnylon tarps on Aliexpress that might do you.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I don't have huge amounts of experience hammock camping though I am getting better.
Last time I camped worried about the weather I used two tarps. The one that came with my hammock I used over my hammock. The second tarp I used as a sloping windshield/wall alongside my hammock. I was near the coast and could be confident of the direction the majority of the weather would come in, so chose my hang perpendicular to the wind/rain. I think it worked quite well and was definitely warmer as it cut out a lot of wind chill. I was a little worried about damaging the tarp but the shock cord at the corners worked really well. I think if the second tarp had been longer I could have maybe tried to protect 3 sides of the hammock, the one I used was a DD 3m x 3m. The other good thing about the winshield was the amount of dry space I had underneath the hammock for storing gear, also made cooking a lot easier.
I understand 2 tarps is probably overkill if you're carrying gear far but it might be something to consider if you mostly car camp like me.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
DD XL ie 4.5m x 3m is to long for a hammock tarp for winter as the length means it sits very high above your suspension and has limited side coverage.

To be honest, i have used my DD XL in the manner indicated by crosslandkelly, and it worked very well - no drama with coverage. I suppose that it depends how much sag you like on your hammock, but with a relatively steeply angled roof, you have over a meter of 'drop' down the sides. Not enough to take it right down to ground level mind you if that is the aim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE