Winter cycling / commuting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone cycling to work today? Please let us know how your journey was and the area? Might be interesting to compare areas.

Snowy weather and I've not got the car tomorrow. Bike 7 miles each way or take the train with 15-25 minutes walking time? It's mostly.a bus route into Lancaster then quiet roads the last bit.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Yes I cycled today. Also cycled my kids to school. But it's clear and sunny here on the west coast!!! Lovely tail wind as well.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No trains or buses running here. Son2's stuck at home unless he fancies the 11+ mile walk into town.
I have no idea how cyclists manage in this. I don't think they are.

We've got about six inches/15cms and there's more coming down too.

M

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I wish I'd bought spiked tyres. Although there's snow falling gently but continuously the roads seem clear.

Fortunately I live something like 50m from a main road and bus route. Basically that road is clear. The only bit I'm worried about is the side road to the mixed use path and bridge over the river. I've hit the deck hard in a couple of places around there before.

Got my mixed surface tyres on that I use off road/gravel tracks with. It's a gravel bike so might be ok. 700 x 37mm tyres on a lowish pressure for my size (70ish psi I think or less).

There's certainly lots of cyclists through Lancaster so it can't be too bad.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
Rode 60k this morning, the last half hour a white out. (Northants, Bucks and Beds)

I kept to gritted roads and all was fine, in fact, with there being fewer cars on the road, it was more pleasant than usual and probably safer.

As snow goes, this stuff seems to be quite grippy, though I wouldnt want to go far on the back roads

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Yes spiked tyres are the key! Trouble is you'd only likely need them one or two days per year, so hardly worth the hassle of changing them.

I was over in Norway last week, several inches of snow fell in the time I was there. All the cars had spiked tyres, but then the roads were generally cleared before I'd even finished breakfast. The cycle routes around the city were snow covered (although cleared, but later in the day, I guess lower priority than the roads), and lots of folk were cycling, the ones I spoke to all had spiked tyres and no problems at all, other than increased effort, but we cycle partly to keep fit right.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
t/c spike car & truck tires here still must be legal winter snow tires as well. Only October 01 - March 31.
Even the Fat-Bike riders are realizing that serious winter tires with crushed walnut shell traction compound
are superior with fine sipes. Those, you can run all year if you had to , same with vehicles,
but they overheat in the summers and scrub themselves to death with the softer rubber compound.

Locals claim that the t/c bike tires are like ice skates.
I claim that the local winter bike riders are accidents going somewhere to happen.
The skinny snow machines with a single ski in front and the usual paddle track look about my style.
They have spark plugs.

Highways here (16 & 97) get plowed, sanded and/or brined 24 hrs a day in winter as needed at full 100kph highway speed.
Just back off 1/4 mile and watch the show.
Downtown city and shopping centers done at night. Residential done during the days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE