will this cheap axe do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I bought this axe some time ago (been gathering tools for some time), but not had an opportunity to use it yet.

Should I buy one of those more expensive axes or will this do just as good a job? 2018-04-29 22.39.41.jpg 2018-04-29 22.42.02.jpg

As you can see, I bought it from Wickes, it has a hickory handle and the head weighs one and a half pounds... Not sure what kind of steel the head is made from but I'm assuming it might be the kind of steel that's used in an axe which determines the price?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Use it for a while. That should give you reasons (or not) for buying a better quality axe. Steel quality, wood quality, handle size and shape. Those kinds of things.
Learn to sharpen it for the use in service. How's your striking accuracy?
Here, we have really sharp axes for cutting. We have deliberately dull edged axes for effective wood splitting.
Your axe is very light weight so it will take a lot of swing to develop splitting force. 2.5 lbs - 3.5 lbs is a splitting range.

Reactions: boubindica

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you have no idea about axes, it is the best to start with a cheap one.

You will destroy it soon!

The next may be more expensive, because than you aren't a beginner any longer.

Should this axe be very short, and I have the impression from the photo, it is a bit dangerous. Splitting wood you should better learn with a full sized one.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, it will work just fine!
You might need to sharpen it a little bit more often if the steel is softer than more expensive axes.
It might be harder ( not tempered properly) which might mean the edge will chip easier.

If this is the case, just mske the edge with a larger angle/thicker.

You do not need superior quality tools all the time. Learn to use what you have, the limitations, and you will be just as happy but less poor!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Your striking accuracy takes the "danger " out of the axe.
That means using it enough, far above and beyond reasonable requirements for daily tasks.
Think about a miss-strike. Where will that blade edge go? Chop off a thumb? Slash a thigh or a foot?

I rough out my wood carvings with elbow adzes and a D adze. The only thing that can stop those blades
are the bones in my legs. Not going to happen.

The handle looks long enough for a good swing but the low head weight makes for more effort in each strike.

Get busy. Chop wood! Haul water! Do paleo stuff!

Reactions: srod

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I bought this axe some time ago (been gathering tools for some time), but not had an opportunity to use it yet.

Should I buy one of those more expensive axes or will this do just as good a job? View attachment 48857 View attachment 48858

As you can see, I bought it from Wickes, it has a hickory handle and the head weighs one and a half pounds... Not sure what kind of steel the head is made from but I'm assuming it might be the kind of steel that's used in an axe which determines the price?

Definitely, it will be fine.
It's not hand made/forged but that means the manufacturing consistency is good. The heat treatment will be machine controlled so should be accurate. What I hope you'll learn is you don't need to buy an expensive hand forged axe to get a job done :)
I have been using axes of all sizes in woods for over 50 years and have never spent more than a tenner - and most of my axes are still going strong! (OK, my very first one with a steel handle (yuck) is now used as a wedge - but other than that).

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
You didn't say what the axe will be used for. I use a similar axe for splitting as I generally don't need to do much of that but I spent more money on a nice hatchet which is great for processing kindling, carving and fine work like that. I say stick with this one for now and if you feel like it's limiting what you can do then upgrade. You might find you don't use it much and you can spend the money better elsewhere.

I put a nice notch in some steel toecap boots with my axe though so be careful :nailbiting:

Birch Axe

Apr 28, 2018
The Woods
A perfectly serviceable tool if you ask me. Might not be as pretty as some of the 'premium' axes out there but will still get the job done.:)

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I own around 50 axes might be more could be a little less as I occasionally give one away or see something I
like.

Once of the best choppers I own is a cheap £10 Draper metal shaft. It cuts well holds an edge nicely. Fantastic bargain.

Ok it’s not my Nic Westermann or a GB but for carving it works well.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
ok, i'll sand the handle down and treat with some boiled linseed (i think i've got some in the cupboard) and i'll sharpen it... i will need it for splitting wood and for making the pointy bit at the earth end of staked posts (they always come in handy... im imagining all this... this is all theory... til i get out there)...

thanks for all the suggestions and tips and view points...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE