Wild camping site, wales/newport??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My bro wants to organise a camp out at a site in a few months and I would like the experience and advice from you gents for a good place to go! :)

He'd like a place where there won't be loads of kids or drunk teenagers derping around and one where we can take woodland tools and cook meals on a fire etc, sort of real camping but not in the crappy woods were the badgers and streaking murderers prowl!

Does anyone know of a site like this? he found one place called lone wolf, but I don't know the details yet..

thanks for any input :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lone Wolf is now closed. Your 'Bro' (Brother?) could perhaps join up with some other Welsh campers and go along on a trip with them?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lone Wolf is now closed. Your 'Bro' (Brother?) could perhaps join up with some other Welsh campers and go along on a trip with them?

yep, brother. he's not exactly interested in meeting the locals and taking up camping as a hobby, he just wants to try something different with me and his friends and have a day or two in the summer without the hassel of finding a place that's safe in the woods. Probably has an interest in the idea as I always show him my toys and stuff so it has to be one that we can take my gear. (I'm not from wales so I don't know the place)

Aug 19, 2013
Conderton
yep, brother. he's not exactly interested in meeting the locals and taking up camping as a hobby, he just wants to try something different with me and his friends and have a day or two in the summer without the hassel of finding a place that's safe in the woods. Probably has an interest in the idea as I always show him my toys and stuff so it has to be one that we can take my gear. (I'm not from wales so I don't know the place)

Hi, don't know if you found anywhere, but there's a very cool place near hay on wye that sounds spot on for you... Yellow Wood Bushcamp - a google search for that will give you all the details you need.

dai35

Nov 26, 2018
carmarthenshire
Haven't figured out how to post on here? So will post on this thread...
Anyone know of any wild camp sites or wild camp places in between swansea and Carmarthen area or neath to fishguard at most furthest?

Just looking to camp on my own away from everyone. Probably won't get an answer, and have lots of land around me, but don't know any owners etc so can't figure how to ask etc.
Thanks.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
As others have said Lone Wolf near Neath is a stunning location for wild(ish) camping along a river valley. Booking essential.

http://glynymulfarm.co.uk/

A bit of a trek from the carpark if you are carrying a lot of stuff and can get a bit busy during the summer.

Yellow Woods at a “secret location” not too far from the Sun Inn in Winforton could fit the bill. The owner likes things done his way but if you can live with that it is a nice bit of woodland.

http://www.yellowwood.co.uk/

Otherwise, check out the Nearly Wild Camping network.

https://nearlywildcamping.org/

Good luck and look forward to reading the trip report. :)

RaoTao

Jan 4, 2016
United Kingdom
Lone wolf is a great spot. Ian is great and lets campers get on with it. The site has basis chem toilets at the top and he has bored for fresh water available a a couple taps up there. But the real gem is the river Dulais running through the site. Good few trees to hammock up and relatively flat for ground dwellers. It's good and cheap and based on Ian's last comment on my departure, he could really use the revenue at the moment. So I would encourage anyone who is after a captive/wild camp spot to please consider Lone wolf. Is always nice to be able to leave your gear back at camp to head off and explore the many treasures South Wales has to offer. Namely the waterfalls In The area.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nomad64

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
You could google Clynfyw Farm near Boncath in Carmarthenshire. Give the manager a ring and ask for a contact number for Mr John Fenna. He lives local to there and is a bushcrafter who, amongst other things, runs a camp on the farm. The land has a Victorian mansion and extensive grounds-I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The definition for ‘wild’ seems to be different between Scandihooligandia and UK.

Is there really no corner of Wales that has accessible land without amenities?

RaoTao

Jan 4, 2016
United Kingdom
The definition for ‘wild’ seems to be different between Scandihooligandia and UK.

Is there really no corner of Wales that has accessible land without amenities?
There are plenty of places to wild camp all over wales. A mere walk into any woodland would offer a spot to camp for the night in a leave no trace fashion. The beacons is the go to for resources, water and the like. The huge difference is it is illegal to camp without permission anywhere in the UK other than in parts of Scotland and our knife laws are even stricter. More than envious of the loose Scandinavian laws around wild camping, but I fear our culture over here doesn't allow for proper behaviour in our precious wild places.

Reactions: Bishop

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I lived in UK for over a decade, and should know, so excuse my ignorance!

Is any land owned by the government or church, that can be accessed by people like us?

I used to (illegally?) camp and ‘do my thing’ in the area around Dungeness powerplant, in Romney marsch, from time to time.

RaoTao

Jan 4, 2016
United Kingdom
I lived in UK for over a decade, and should know, so excuse my ignorance!

Is any land owned by the government or church, that can be accessed by people like us?

I used to (illegally?) camp and ‘do my thing’ in the area around Dungeness powerplant, in Romney marsch, from time to time.
Dartmoor national park is an exception to the rule. Quite a harsh landscape with a lot of no go areas. The military use it for training most of the year so if you fancy a long trek across moorland then Dartmoor is your calling. Not that much woodland which is more my scene. But I've never walked across Dartmoor. Though it is on the bucket list. A lot of folk tend to get on the hunt for willing farmers with land to camp on. But I guess it just depends what you want to achieve on the trip

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE