Whoopie Sling v RappellingRings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Hi all,

Just wondering what people’s thoughts on whether to continue using rappelling rings or switch to Whoopie slings for my Hennessy Hammock.

For those of you that don’t know what I mean, rappelling rings is using two rings on each end and pulling the rope through to adjust the hang of your hammock and then a quick half hitch to lock it off.

The only immediate benefits are less weight, although not a big saving and I’m not an ultralight type and less chance of a tangle.

As I only experience a tangle occasionally and no more than once each time I set the hammock up, I’m just wondering whether the Whoopie are worth it.

Thanks for your views.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've tried the rappel rings but found it crushes the cord you use, maybe not a big issue but it unsettled my mind - didn't fancy my cord failing...

Now I have a continuous loop through the hammock channel with a DD UL crab which I use as the spike in a marlin spike hitch on webbing tape.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I've tried the rappel rings but found it crushes the cord you use, maybe not a big issue but it unsettled my mind - didn't fancy my cord failing...

Now I have a continuous loop through the hammock channel with a DD UL crab which I use as the spike in a marlin spike hitch on webbing tape.

Thanks, I Store the rings at the very end of the cord, so long term any crushing is at a non load bearing end. I rationalised that the crushing of the cord whilst in use was no greater then the pressure from a knot, but I’ve been wrong before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have done both. I found that with rings, in general you need a much longer tree strap to allow for real versatility compared to Whoopie slings. I have a modified Whoopie sling system and can get around very large trees and do stupid distances (8metre+!) between smaller trees with just 2m double ended tree straps (looped at both ends, with a spliced loop. check Dutchware hammocks for some cool ideas to help). Where we camp at the 'Moot its some big 'ole pines and we use a few (for the missus and little one, plus kit hammocks, we pitch 6+ hammocks) LONG tree straps but mine is always on the 2m ones on the very biggest of trees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE