Who would you nominate?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The Bank of England is seeking nominations as to who should go on the new £50 note.

The rules for anyone who appears on the new £50 note they must:
  • have contributed to the field of science
  • be real – so no fictional characters please
  • not be alive - Her Majesty the Queen is the only exception
  • have shaped thought, innovation, leadership or values in the UK
  • inspire people, not divide them
You can suggest anyone who has contributed to the fields of pure or applied science. That could include: astronomy, biology, bio-technology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, medical research, physics, technology and zoology.

So out of curiousity I was wondering who would be nominated by our members. No restrictions on how many people you nominate :)

My own nomination would be Sir Alexander Fleming for the impact his discovery had on not just health in the UK but worldwide.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Alan Turing for his work in computing, mathematical and analytical associated areas. He was so far ahead of his time in the mathematical and analytical field that his theories are being used on new stuff even today. His efforts in WW2 were unparalleled and certainly led to a shortening of the war.

Or/and.... Stephen Hawking for the advancement of physics.

Reactions: Herman30

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
So did Turing.
Several Germans made functional computers in the 1930’s and let us not forget the Englishman Babbage. Mid 1800’?

Turing applied the primitive computer tech for a specific task.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Datwin's barred from nomination as he was on the last £10 note

Jane-Austen-bank-note.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
All countries like to put ‘heavy weights’ on their money.
UK should do something different.
Put a comedian that was loved on it.

Tommy Cooper was great. George Formby too.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Yes, but he copied other peoples work! (spoken as a Welshman :) )

My vote goes for Turing - so much of our current AI technology can be traced back to his ideas.
In the vein of this, the biggest factor in all scientific works up until about 1930? Ish was the repression of science due to religion. Galileo was locked up for it, descartes trod very carefully left out lots of his books and buttered the church up, and Darwin himself was troubled by theinpact of what this non Adam and Eve theory would have on his life.

I reccon it has to be someone who was anti church and opened up science to the masses, rather like Roger Bacon. Or Patrick Moore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE