Which Woody Blade Blank?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

A hypothetical question for now, but I've been thinking of making a woody clone, starting from a blade blank that's been ground and heat treated. Basically, something I can put handle on and hone to good sharpness.

Required specs are O1 tool steel, 4mm thick, around 58-60hrc, grind around 28°.

Any recommended sources in the UK?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
FGYT, Stewart Light, Selfe Made Knives, Hillbill, Robevs are few makers which spring to mind. My aplogies if I missed any off.

No affiliation to any of them apart from knowing, using or admiring their work

N

Nomad

Thanks all. A few of the suggested sources seem to lack a web presence that shows actual blade blanks, and others don't seem to do what I'm looking for. I'm also looking for something made from bar stock rather than forged, and I'm afraid I'm not on Instagram (need an account to view Jimmy Pie's stuff). To clarify, I want to make something very close to my current knife...

Paul Baker Woodlore Copy s.jpg

Aside from a general interest in making the knife, the change I want to make is to the shape of the handle - I want to try something that's a bit fatter. I sometimes find this a bit slim for forehand power cuts, while a shorter blade that I handled some time ago, with a bigger palm swell, feels better. Incidentally, the full tang on this is non-tapered.

Also, I just measured the bevel on the current knife, and it's closer to 7.5mm high (measured parallel to the main surface of the blade), which equates to 30° included angle. Another thing I like is the fairly short ricasso (about 6mm), and the fact that the grind ends vertically (easier to hone at the edge of a stone). This feature is quite different from the original Woodlore...

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/72-Woodlore-Knife/

When I went looking a little while ago, I found Bernie Garland's web site and saw that he does blanks that are pretty close...

http://berniegarlandknives.com/index.php/knife-bladeblanks

...and it was these that got me thinking.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
You could pop over to edge matters and ask sure you will get a costum made blank by any of the already mentioned maker or several others most of the bb boys are there

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE