Where to buy Granssfors bruks axe handles..????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yep.

Where can I buy a small forest axe handle? I can only find random websites I've never heard of and have no idea if they can be trusted. And none of the normal places I'd check for this sort of thing actually have them!

So.. where can I buy one?

(I want to rehandle my imo superior Hultafors bruks axe head with the superior Gransfors handle!)

Cheers

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you go on their website, you can find stockists of their products. Where do you live?

What do you feel is the difference?

I use both makes and have not thought of a difference between the handles?

Aug 15, 2018
England
From my understanding the handles for all of the Swedish axe makers are made by the same company 'Smedbergs' and have been for some time. Obviously they are made to different specifications but the quality of the Hickory is exactly the same. When buying a Gransfors handle you are paying for the logo, there are cheaper handles which will do the job just as well.

If you do decide to go for one though I can't recommend 'Greenwood Direct' enough. I dealt with them when we ordered a number of Gransfors Bruks axes for work and they were really quick and helpful.

Reactions: Mr Wolf and Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Gransfors is sold by:
Classic Hand Tools Ltd in Witnesham, Suffolk
Woodlore
Weald/Downland Open Air Museum in Chichester
Winchester Garden Machinery Ltd
Greenwood Direct in Chippenham
ProAdventure in Llangollen
Nordic Outdoor in Keswick
Same in Edinburgh two stores there

The Woodsmith's Store in Tyne & Wear

Got this info from their site.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Woodsmiths they do hafts too. I've used them a few times

Got a pic of the axe as it is salmon?.....just out of interest like

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Here's a comparison of the two handles. (Don't own a gb anymore for a side by side)

my5M1so.jpg
zPMixnA.jpg

It's not that the Hults handle is crap, it's just way too thick and I prefer the lines and feel of the granfors.I'm more than capable of rehsaping the handle, but I just cannot be arsed!

https://www.proadventure.co.uk/acat...t_Handle_with_wood_and_steel_wedge.html#SID=2 found it!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I would be intrigued as to the difference between the two now that they're owned by the same company.

** Incorrect - I had wetterlings in my head! **

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My pictures don't really do justice to my statement on just how thick the Hultafors handles are. They are wider and thicker by quite a margin, to the point where my short fat fingers can't fully grab the handle under the neck like I could with the gransfors handle. If I recall rightly, they are also the same length.

What do you prefer about the hults made head?
Pattern?
Thicker bit?

I prefer the pattern mainly.

Although I really liked the gransfors sfa cutting egde shape, I didn't like how thin it got towards the bottom, a few mm actually snapped off the bottom tip at some point, as did the top tip. Very annoying.

The Hultafors does have a thicker head, but not by much and the edge is also a bit thicker but again not by much. I thinned mine down a bit to match the sort of cutting performance. And with the belly in the middle of the edge it busts out fatter chips of wood.

One thing I must add about the Hultafors is the god awful edge out the box. So bad was the first axe I sent it back to sweden and had to wait 4 weeks for a new one which was also crap but no where near as bad as the first. They forge the heads beautifully, but who ever does the edge grinding needs sacking! Completely unsymetrical edge angles, the first one having a totally blunt top edge like a shovel. They polish the edge though so they look shiny and great but in reality it's done badly and the grinder person shoud be ashamed.

Hultafors replied to my shock at just how bad the grind was with 'they're handforged so they cannot be perfect each time'. I tried to explain that the forging was perfect but the grinding was poor but I guess they don't really care about customer service..?

Anyway, I prefer the Hultafors head, it's tougher, better looking and cuts just as well without breaking after one use.The heat treat from my experience is just as good too, but the shape and style of the edge is just much stronger than the gransfors. And I prefer the gransfors handle in looks and feel. Win win to add the two together, quicker than making my own handle too.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have a feeling many edged tools are overhardened these days. The quest for high HRC value and longevity of a sharp edge maybe?
Maybe GB have fallen into that trap?

I hope you find the correct head/handle combo!

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I have a feeling many edged tools are overhardened these days. The quest for high HRC value and longevity of a sharp edge maybe?
Maybe GB have fallen into that trap?

I hope you find the correct head/handle combo!
Depends on softwood vs hardwood dominance is the area of ax production too i guess

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, in Sweden it was mainly Beech and Birch in the south, Birch and Pine in the north.
Birch and Beech was preferred.

Both those factories are in the south - ish part of Sweden. Central.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE