where do i sign up for bushmoot august 2018?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
want to go, but can't find details of where to pay etc... or if it's still happening even? do i need to be a full member to attend etc... help? :thumbsup:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I know I speak for so many of the folk on the forum, ask all and any questions you may have. I will and so will so many other be only too glad to help and to give you their own take on coming to the "MOOT".

Reactions: boubindica and Lou

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Typical! Soon as i posted this thread, i found the Bushmoot info... :thankyou:tho... I will defo have more questions so thanks... actually, i have one already...

1. how far is it from the nearest public transport station to the actual Moot? I don't have a car so will probably walk if it's not too far... or is there a cab station?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Bridgend is on the main line from London Paddington and there are direct services about once an hour, more if you change at Cardiff. Kim and I have come by train for 4 years and jump a taxi from the rank right outside the station. Costs something like a tenner. You could walk it, 3 - 4 miles, we have walked back into to town for shopping in the past, easy route to follow.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Bridgend is on the main line from London Paddington and there are direct services about once an hour, more if you change at Cardiff. Kim and I have come by train for 4 years and jump a taxi from the rank right outside the station. Costs something like a tenner. You could walk it, 3 - 4 miles, we have walked back into to town for shopping in the past, easy route to follow.
thanks Hammock_man :emoji_ok_hand: that's really good to know :emoji_relieved: got my ticket... don't want to wish the year away but roll on August :dancer:

Reactions: Lou

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
IF .. You are going to walk, do not follow the "car" route. there is a bit on the edge of town where you can walk over the main road but not join it by car. Saves a good deal off the walk and actually makes it easier. You say you have your ticket, what dates are you attending?

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
IF .. You are going to walk, do not follow the "car" route. there is a bit on the edge of town where you can walk over the main road but not join it by car. Saves a good deal off the walk and actually makes it easier. You say you have your ticket, what dates are you attending?
thanks :) Probably cab this time because I've never been there before... my ticket is for 7th Aug - 18th Aug...

i want to try out my hammock set up, so hoping there will be lots of room for that, or should i bring my tent too? bought the hammock stuff a few months ago, but not had the opportunity to set it all up yet... never set up a hammock before either but been reading up on set ups etc...

having bought my ticket, i should read all the gubbins, then maybe i won't have quite so many questions for you... :rolleyes2:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
"Ticket for 7th to 18th." If you can, pay the extra to be a full member and come down on the Monday. As for places to swing a hammock... 1000's of them. I would say you need to have a play setting up your hammock ( and Tarp?? ) even if its just in a local park your your back yard. If not me then someone will help. If you wish Kim and I will help you set up on your first day as we will be there from first thing, day one. I would in all truth, say no need for a tent.
What hammock do you have and what extras. I ask this as there is what is called a group buy on DD hammocks and stuff, could get any extras cheaper.

As you say a cab first trip makes a whole load of sense. There is a castle and public car park near to the camp area, so even if the cabbie does not know of the camp, they can still get to 100yds away when it will be easy to spot.
Many people offer lifts into town if you need shopping but Kim and I normally walk into Bridgend and then taxi back with all the shopping.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
"Ticket for 7th to 18th." If you can, pay the extra to be a full member and come down on the Monday. As for places to swing a hammock... 1000's of them. I would say you need to have a play setting up your hammock ( and Tarp?? ) even if its just in a local park your your back yard. If not me then someone will help. If you wish Kim and I will help you set up on your first day as we will be there from first thing, day one. I would in all truth, say no need for a tent.
What hammock do you have and what extras. I ask this as there is what is called a group buy on DD hammocks and stuff, could get any extras cheaper.

As you say a cab first trip makes a whole load of sense. There is a castle and public car park near to the camp area, so even if the cabbie does not know of the camp, they can still get to 100yds away when it will be easy to spot.
Many people offer lifts into town if you need shopping but Kim and I normally walk into Bridgend and then taxi back with all the shopping.

I'll go take a look and see how much it is to become a full member and bear that in mind... always nice to get an extra day of utter joy... will see how my funds are...

My whole set up is DD apart from the top quilt... i have the DD frontline Hammock, large Tarp, whoopey slings and Underblanket, and a Snugpak top quilt that i'll use with a warm fleece liner... pretty sure i have enough paracord etc so i won't buy anything extra for now unless you think I'm missing a vital piece of equipment?

Regarding setting up, I'll see how i go (watched loads of vids), but may well take you up on you and Kim's offer kind Sir... i learn better by doing stuff myself.. we shall see... :biggrin:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hammock spots. There are lots, if you don't mind being a little further into the woods. If you really want to be within 100 yards of the toilet block it gets a bit more difficult. The main Merthyr Mawr car park is about 300 yards from the camp reception/toilet/shower block, and the access road can be rather bumpy, especially after rain (which is common in Wales ;)) Some taxi drivers have looked less than thrilled when they have had to drive all the way back to us. That though isn't as funny as the remark made by one driver to his single female fare last year. He cast a dubious eye over the two of us manning the car park and quietly asked the lady if she was sure she wanted to be left there!

Sounds like you pulled no punches in choosing your hammock kit. I would agree that it is good to practice setting up in the park if you can, but if not, it isn't a big deal. Lots of people will be willing to help. You didn't mention tree hugger straps (1" or wider webbing to wrap around the tree, help protect the bark).

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I went to the BM the first year by train then taxi and it was pretty easy. Because I flew into Bristol airport I got the train to Bridgend then walked 5 minutes to the supermarket and got my supplies for the week, then got a taxi from the rank outside. It saved having to take shopping bags on the train. It is worth looking on google maps street view so you can see what the entrance of Merthyr Mawr looks like as it is at the end of a long lane and my taxi driver wasn't sure exactly where it was. I knew it as soon as I saw it as I had 'seen it before' so I wasn't so worried about being dropped off in the middle of nowhere with two kids and no mobile phone signal (and realised the whole reason for me going to the BM was to learn about how to cope if I did get left in the middle of nowhere - bring it on!). I booked that same taxi to take me back to the station two weeks later and it worked out really well.

Reactions: boubindica

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Hammock spots. There are lots, if you don't mind being a little further into the woods. If you really want to be within 100 yards of the toilet block it gets a bit more difficult. The main Merthyr Mawr car park is about 300 yards from the camp reception/toilet/shower block, and the access road can be rather bumpy, especially after rain (which is common in Wales ;)) Some taxi drivers have looked less than thrilled when they have had to drive all the way back to us. That though isn't as funny as the remark made by one driver to his single female fare last year. He cast a dubious eye over the two of us manning the car park and quietly asked the lady if she was sure she wanted to be left there!

Sounds like you pulled no punches in choosing your hammock kit. I would agree that it is good to practice setting up in the park if you can, but if not, it isn't a big deal. Lots of people will be willing to help. You didn't mention tree hugger straps (1" or wider webbing to wrap around the tree, help protect the bark).

:roflmao: Scary looking carpark attendants are alright by me :D
And thanks :thumbsup: I believe i have the wider Tree Huggers (I love trees), but i'll check in a few days when i attach the bungee cord prussic knots to my tarp... i also got a sleeve for the Hammock...

Will i need to bring wellies? Hope not as i want to keep the weight to a minimum... Hoping my comfy waterproof walking boots will suffice? They're Regatta ISOTEX Waterproof... is that waterproof enough? They're also very lightweight boots.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I went to the BM the first year by train then taxi and it was pretty easy. Because I flew into Bristol airport I got the train to Bridgend then walked 5 minutes to the supermarket and got my supplies for the week, then got a taxi from the rank outside. It saved having to take shopping bags on the train. It is worth looking on google maps street view so you can see what the entrance of Merthyr Mawr looks like as it is at the end of a long lane and my taxi driver wasn't sure exactly where it was. I knew it as soon as I saw it as I had 'seen it before' so I wasn't so worried about being dropped off in the middle of nowhere with two kids and no mobile phone signal (and realised the whole reason for me going to the BM was to learn about how to cope if I did get left in the middle of nowhere - bring it on!). I booked that same taxi to take me back to the station two weeks later and it worked out really well.

Thanks Lou... good idea re street view on google... will do that for sure... and the supermarket before cab, after train too... What? No mobile signal??? How WONDERFUL is that!... what a bonus! :camping:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Will i need to bring wellies? Hope not as i want to keep the weight to a minimum... Hoping my comfy waterproof walking boots will suffice? They're Regatta ISOTEX Waterproof... is that waterproof enough? They're also very lightweight boots.

I would say those boots are fine? I have brought wellies in the past just so I can put them on easily when I get out of my hammock first thing but I do not wear them during the day. The site is all on a foundation of sand (the second largest sand dunes in Europe no less) so there's not really any mud in the claggy, loamy sense. What I would say is that there can be a problem with water run-off if a storm comes through - we had the tail end of a hurricane one year - so I would say you'd be better off bringing your hammock than a tent unless you also bring a shovel just in case you need to dig a trench around it.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks Lou... good idea re street view on google... will do that for sure... and the supermarket before cab, after train too... What? No mobile signal??? How WONDERFUL is that!... what a bonus! :camping:

The mobile signal is improving on the whole but can be sketchy in places around the site.

You can also usually get a lift in with folk who are doing supermarket runs if you run low of anything or want something fresh.

Something that's extremely important to bring is a fold up chair. Sitting on the ground soon looses its appeal after 2 weeks :rolleyes:

Reactions: boubindica and Lou

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
The mobile signal is improving on the whole but can be sketchy in places around the site.

You can also usually get a lift in with folk who are doing supermarket runs if you run low of anything or want something fresh.

Something that's extremely important to bring is a fold up chair. Sitting on the ground soon looses its appeal after 2 weeks :rolleyes:

thanks Mesquite, I'd never have thought of that... and I'm more than happy to be without mobile connection for the majority of my time there... it's all good :)

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I would say those boots are fine? I have brought wellies in the past just so I can put them on easily when I get out of my hammock first thing but I do not wear them during the day. The site is all on a foundation of sand (the second largest sand dunes in Europe no less) so there's not really any mud in the claggy, loamy sense. What I would say is that there can be a problem with water run-off if a storm comes through - we had the tail end of a hurricane one year - so I would say you'd be better off bringing your hammock than a tent unless you also bring a shovel just in case you need to dig a trench around it.

Hammock it is then... not slept in it yet so looking forward to that... so excited :thanks:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
thanks Mesquite, I'd never have thought of that... and I'm more than happy to be without mobile connection for the majority of my time there... it's all good :)

It's the small things which go to help making it enjoyable.

A lot of folks take an extra tarp as well so they can have their sleeping area as well as an admin/kitchen sitting area

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London

ok, so just upgraded to full member for one year so I'm going to travel there on the Monday now. should give me time to set up, settle and :hammock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE