What's the ideal first aid kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
What do you think the ideal first aid kit is for bushcraft?

To help make this more specific here are the following conditions.

• For 3-7 adults with average first aid experience (know how to use all common items in a first aid kit)
  • Can be used in all UK camping environments (fields, mountains, rivers, coast etc)
  • Only 1 first aid kit is carried for the entire group
  • Tailored for typical UK bushcraft (think Dartmoor, Lake District, Scotland etc)
  • Kit is self sufficient/does not rely on external items except essentials such as a tourch.
  • The expedition lasts 3 nights and everyone has the appropiate food rations
  • Drinking water will be (partially) procured on site

The first aid kit should succesfully treat all common minor incidents including
  • 'Essential treatment' (cuts, burns, common fractures)

• Non essential treatment (headaches, mild fever, cold, diahorea, etc)

And now for rules

• Use specific quantities (dont say 'plasters', specify how many)

• Explain how you chose your kit (eg based on past experiences and injuries, based on anothe user's concept, following specific regulations, etc)

• Explain why you included certain items that arnt directly first aid related (eg a tourch for treatment at night)
  • Keep quantities reasonable, if a quantity is unusually high, justify it

The aim of this is not to design a kit to handle all scenarios including the unlikely ones (i.e poisoned by an animal not native to the UK), but to design a practical kit that is tailored for everyday UK bushcraft but still handle more serious uncommon (but possible) incidents such as fractures.

Here is a checklist of items typically included in a first aid kit. Quantity is for 1 use/1 item

Care:

* Antiseptic Wipe
* Sterile gloves
* Trianular Bandages
* Crepe Bandages
* Safety pin
* Small Sterile plaster
* Medium Sterile plaster
* Large Sterile plaster
* Water Purifying Tablet
* Spare water

Medicines:
* Paracetemol
* Ibuprofen
* Aspirin
* Dihydrocodine
* Antacids
* Anti diarrhea medication
* Rehydrating salts/tablets
* Eye wash
* Burn gel/cream
* Insect bite relief/repellant
* Suncream/Aftersun
* Blister pads

Sterile Kits

* Silk suture and needle
* Wound closure strips
* Small Adhesive dressings
* Medium Adhesive dressings
* Large Adhesive dressings

Tools:

* Scissors
* Pen and paper
* String
* Reasonable Small torch
* Needle and thread

shortyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 18, 2010
Lancashire
I also put in electrical tape and gaffer tape wound around cocktail sticks to save space. A good few metres of each on two or three sticks (hope this makes sense).

My thoughts are can be used as compeed, a sling, to aid elevation (tape hand to forehead!), to stop plasters falling off, splint, gag etc

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
The ideal first aid kit has to be the one you have with you. No use in having all the bit and pieces if it weighs a ton and you end up leaving it behind. My day hike/travel first aid kit is in a clear zip-lock bag (easier to see contents) and contains:
x3 Compeed blister plasters
x11 plasters of various sizes
x1 tube of triple antibiotic ointment (for minor cuts, scrapes and burns)
x1 tube of anti-fungal ointment
x1 5x7cm wound dressing (like a giant plaster)
x8 5x5 cotton dressings
x1 roll of medical tape
x1 antihistamine nasal spray (I have hayfever)
x1 tweezers
x1 roll of self adhesive bandage/support wrap.

For the UK I think a vitally important piece of kit would a working mobile phone since most places aren't too far from some form of professional help.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi unorthadox

First off no UK first aid kit should include a suture kit unless it's carried by a properly trained medical professional. Rambo aside, no-one in their right mind should try to suture unless they know exactly what their doing! Besides, a length of duct/gaffa tape is good enough to close all but the worst gaping wound until the casualty can get to definitive medical care.

Unless things go really t*ts up an ambulance, SAR helicopter, mountain rescue team or some other form of support is never more than a couple of hours away. So no heroic measures or special kit is normally needed.

A single kit for the whole of the group isn’t a good idea. What happens if the kit is in the rucksack that’s washed down the river or if it’s with the medic at the tent while you’re off on a bimble? I’d suggest that the most experience medic in the group carries a group kit with the “big” items. While individual in the group (age allowing) carries a personal kit.

The content of the kits should be base on the most typical scenarios such as; big and small lacerations from knives and axes, hypothermia (environmental and exhaustion), heat exhaustion, dehydration, blisters, pulled/strained muscles, lower leg injuries from trips and falls

Personal kit;
- x1 Ambulance dressing/Israeli bandage/FFD
- x1 packet blister plasters
- x4 or 5 assorted waterproof sticking plasters
- x2 antiseptic wipes
- x1 small travel tube of antiseptic cream
- Personal medication (e.g. Sambutamol for asthmatics, GTN for angina)
- x16 Paracetamol 500mg
- x8 Ibuprofen 200mg
- x9 Asprin 300mg (only if in risk group for heart attack)
- x4 Imodium
- x2 Rehydration salts
- x4 Antihistamines
- x1 Nitrile/latex gloves
- 2m of Duct/gaffa tape

NB: drugs in the personal kits MUST be appropriate to any allergies the person may have

Group kit;
- Additional personal kit items
- x4 wide conforming/crepe bandages
- Assorted safety pins
- x2 woven triangular bandage
- x2 SAM splint (can be adapted to support just about any bone or muscle injury)
- x2 hard cup type eye dressings (ALWAYS use 2 to limit movement of the uninjured eye which will cause the injured eye to move)
- x1 pack gauze swabs 5cm x 5cm
- x4 nonadhesive dressings 5cm x 5cm
- x1 roll Micropore tape
- x2 Blizzard bag (treat hypothermia and to keep immobile casualty from developing hypothermia while waiting for rescue)
- x1 roll Clingfilm (burns and serious gaping abdominal wounds)
- x1 Face shield/pocket mask for rescue breathing (to protect you, not the casualty)
- x2 active heatpack (pain relief and hypothermia)
- x2 active coolpack (pain relief and heat exhaustion)
- x1 Tuff cut scissors
- x4 glucose sachets (exhaustion hypothermia and diabetic hypoglyemia)
- More advanced/special use medications as training allows
- x1 Sharpie type all weather pen
- x1 weatherproof notebook
- x1 head torch (to free hands if treating in the dark)
- 4 man bothy bag (shelter from the elements giving a warm and dry place to treat the casualty)
- Medical history info for each group member (to pass on to rescue services, help you diagnose issues and to ensure you don’t give them inappropriate treatment making the situation worse)

Items such as sunblock, torches, water and additional warm clothing should be standard carry for all members of the group.

Phew, all done (until I think of something else!). I wonder how much of this will have been added to the tread while I’ve been typing this. Sorry for any duplication :)

Hope this helps,

Nigel

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Argh, just realised what the "can't edit" thread is about (couldn't be bothere to read it!)

2 small corrections. I forgot to include tweezers in the group kit and it should be 4 asprin in the personal kit.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Forgot to mention that you need something practical to carry all this stuff in.

For a personal kit a clear ziplock or aloksak.
For group kit something tough, water resistant (or a non-waterproof bag with the contents in individual waterproof bags) and lots of easy to access pockets to organise the contents.

My personal kit is in a small aloksak bag. While I have 2 group kits. The first is a basic kit for 4 or 5 people and fits in a British army PLCE trauma belt pouch. For bigger groups or longer trips I use a Snugpac Response Pack with a minimaglight and pocket mask on the belt strap. The group kits contain all the basic stuff in the list above other than a bothy bag and Blizzard bags.

A key point with both of these kits is that they need to be small and light enough so they are carried. It's no good having a comprehensive kit which will be suitable for a major incident if it's too damn heavy and is left in the car!

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Forgot to mention that you need something practical to carry all this stuff in.

A key point with both of these kits is that they need to be small and light enough so they are carried. It's no good having a comprehensive kit which will be suitable for a major incident if it's too damn heavy and is left in the car!

When designing a first aid kit, obviously the the packaging will be important, but for the purposes of the thread, the important part is what thekit contains. There will always be a trade off between functionality and the size and weight.

A single kit for the whole of the group isn’t a good idea. What happens if the kit is in the rucksack that’s washed down the river or if it’s with the medic at the tent while you’re off on a bimble? I’d suggest that the most experience medic in the group carries a group kit with the “big” items. While individual in the group (age allowing) carries a personal kit.

Nigel

I am aware of the dangers of having only one first aid kit, but for the purposes of this thread, it would be simpler jsut to simply state all the quantities in bulk (combine all personal first aid kits). 3-7 people is usually a common sized group for bushcrafting thus would make sense to design a first aid kit for this sized group. Another reason for choosing a group first aid kit is to eliminate over stocking from personal fist aid kits.

To reiterate, disregard the pros and cons of having multiple first aid kits and treat it as a single kit (in the interest of finding the ideal kit for a typical bushcraft event)

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
... and treat it as a single kit (in the interest of finding the ideal kit for a typical bushcraft event)
Are you looking for a kit for an organised event at a static location (mini-moot?)? If you there you can afford to go for more kit in the group bag. That said, there's not point in carrying much more just because you can. I'd suggest taking the group kit and adding the contents of 4 or 5 personal kits. This is assuming that if there is an injury the casualty will be carted off and the event continues. If it's just a bunch of mates that all go home because of the injury then cut back on the personal kit contents.

That said, it's a bunch of people carrying very sharp things. Every person should carry at least 1 trauma dressing incase of a "oh SH*T" lapse in concentration :)

Just a thought. If you are arranging an event or possibly a regular series (bushcarft school?) go for an off-the shelf HSE approved kit and add bits. Then take out every drug. And get a qualified H&S at work first-aider.

Last edited:

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Are you looking for a kit for an organised event at a static location (mini-moot?)? If you there you can afford to go for more kit in the group bag. That said, there's not point in carrying much more just because you can. I'd suggest taking the group kit and adding the contents of 4 or 5 personal kits. This is assuming that if there is an injury the casualty will be carted off and the event continues. If it's just a bunch of mates that all go home because of the injury then cut back on the personal kit contents.

That said, it's a bunch of people carrying very sharp things. Every person should carry at least 1 trauma dressing incase of a "oh SH*T" lapse in concentration :)

Just a thought. If you are arranging an event or possibly a regular series (bushcarft school?) go for an off-the shelf HSE approved kit and add bits. Then take out every drug. And get a qualified H&S at work first-aider.

I haven't done loads of bushcraft myself, just with a few friends, but I'm guessing most bushcrafters go for 2-3 nights with a bunch of friends and maybe the occasional organised event. In relation to the thread, an organised event will have their own first aid kit tailored for that specific event by the organisers (at least I would hope so), so this kit is designed for the more common 'few friends' approach. Any injuries that require a visit to A&E will likely end the whole event prematurily.

I am not arranging an event or regular series, I am just getting lots of bushcrafters (hopefully) to give some input to help establish an effective first aid kit for the average UK bushcraft weekend. Hopefully more people can give some input and some past experiences to justify the need for more of certain items, or ommiting some items.

Also, I am already first aid qualified

Do you have any experiences worth sharing that is relavent?
Any items that proved hopeless in the bustcraft environment? (eg plasters dont stay on very long and reccomend using the 'tape' alternative)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Personal kit;
- x1 Ambulance dressing/Israeli bandage/FFD
- x1 packet blister plasters
- x4 or 5 assorted waterproof sticking plasters
- x2 antiseptic wipes
- x1 small travel tube of antiseptic cream
- Personal medication (e.g. Sambutamol for asthmatics, GTN for angina)
- x16 Paracetamol 500mg
- x8 Ibuprofen 200mg
- x9 Asprin 300mg (only if in risk group for heart attack)
- x4 Imodium
- x2 Rehydration salts
- x4 Antihistamines
- x1 Nitrile/latex gloves
- 2m of Duct/gaffa tape

NB: drugs in the personal kits MUST be appropriate to any allergies the person may have

Nigel

Thats a great list Nigel, there where one or two items i didn't think about in mine, so cheers!

A couple of things i would mention if i may is, double up on the gloves on a personal kit... It may take more than one person to treat you. And, make sure you have a guidance leaflet with it.

The person treating you may not be a FAAW, or have ever been in the situation before. You may be trained, but if you go down, its in someone else's hands.

Just a thought, al.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
I use a mountain leaders first aid kit, with some added extras depending on where i am, if abroad padddling etc I always take a dental kit, and syrenges kit, that are made by the same firm ( the ones in the red packs) ive added 2 x ffd's, a small first aid book , as mentioned if you go down someone untrained could be the one helping you, immodium, aspirin, gaffa tape(for splints) general antibiotics (if you can get them), emergency numbers , foil bivvy bag, sml led head torch. now it sounds alot but in december 05 I cut my hand severing through my extensor tendon down to the bone , I was away from help, and I dont know what would have happend had I not had my first aid kit with me, result 36 stiches, 3 hour operation , wore a cage for 8 weeks 24/7 followed by 8weeks therapy, ,

nenook

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi unorthadox,

... Any injuries that require a visit to A&E will likely end the whole event prematurily. ...
In that case take a little as possible. As mentioned the basic group kit and the equivalent of 2 personal kits should be more than enough. Although for a single casualty you wouldn't need as many drugs as you get in so many personal kits.

... Do you have any experiences worth sharing that is relavent? ...
I badly lacerated a finger with a stanley knife trying to take a windscreen out of a Fiesta while working in a scrap yard 20 years ago. No first aid kit on site and I was on my own. I used electrical tape to bind the wound closed and popped to casualty for stitches at the end of my shift 4 or 5 hours later.

I was caving a few years ago and slipped and broke my shoulder. No first aid kit to hand so I tucked my hand into the neck of my shirt and bound my arm to my chest with a belt. It took 30 or 40 minutes to get out of the cave then I drove myself to casualty (and had to make a cringeworthy call to the wife who didn't want me to go in the first place!).

My daughter went into shock and has passed out twice as a result of having piercings. Both times I checked her ABCs to make sure she wasn't in immediate danger, put her in the recovery position and kept an eye on her until she came round.

I once came across an old lady who had collapsed on a residental street. Other than a cut on the head as a result of the fall there were no other obvious injuries. With help she was taken indoors out of the cold weather and monitored until an ambulance arrived. During that time one of the locals suggested giving her brandy to "bring her round". I explained that it wasn't such a good idea.

Only on a training course (thank God!) I was treating a casualty who had a broken thigh bone. Major problem as they can easily lose the leg or even bleed to death. I ended up building a traction splint using paracord, a knife and 3 sticks.

I was involved in a multi car shunt and wasn't injured myself but did end up stabilising another driver's neck until the ambo arrived. I did this by sitting in the back seat and just reaching either side of the head rest and holding thier head. I've also seen (but not done) a similar thing using gaffa tape to fix the casualty's head to the head rest.

There have also been a couple of minor bumps and scrapes while out and about treated with direct pressure, waterproof plasters or cold water compress.

As you can see in most (practicallty all) of these instances I didn't need a comprehensive first aid kit. At the end of the day you can improvise and adapt to most situations with what you normally have with you. What you know is more important than what you carry.

You mention that you are FA trained. That is a good start but should be reinforced with some specific outdoors first aid training. Most training (e.g. FAAW) is only intended to keep the casualty breathing for the 8 minutes it should take for an ambulance to get there. When you're out in the woods it may be a lot longer and you need to consider other factors such as environment and what information the emergency services will need to find you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Thats a great list Nigel, there where one or two items i didn't think about in mine, so cheers!

A couple of things i would mention if i may is, double up on the gloves on a personal kit... It may take more than one person to treat you. And, make sure you have a guidance leaflet with it.
Thanks BL. I spent a lot of time thinking about what is worth carrying and have had some good training (thanks Wayne!) which have helped me alot.

In my personal kit I do carry 2 or 3 pairs of gloves. But those are for me to protect myself if in a situation with mutiple casualties. Unless I'm with a well organised group of guys I know well I wouldn't expect another person to know where I keep my personal kit, so I don't see a need to have spare gloves for them. That said, as with the personal kit suggested to unorthadox, all the guys i know have their own personal kits and carry their own gloves and will be putting them on while walking towards me. I carry gloves to protect me, not them :)

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thats a logical statement, and i agree with you 100% Life teaches us though (or satistics) that in the event of an emergency, you go for the nearest FA kit you can find.

My comment was about the kit list provided above, not what you personally carry.

There are memebers from many oranisations on here, I'm just a humble FAAW and the safety advisor for a small company (150) you have Mountain Rescue, RNLI and no-doubt several people from the Medical Profession themselves so i hope my comments dont offend.

Lifes full of a million varables and it sounds like you have had your fair share, but there's only half a dozen injurys that its best to be prepared for if you are jo-blogg's! (in an ideal world) until help of some kind arrives.

Personally IMHO your FA kit should be the first thing someone can find (would you trust your life on theirs being on hand in a normal civvy bushcraft meet)... pouch around your waist, top of your rucksack ect. Keep it red, and easy access but thats just me.

al.

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi Al,

Sorry if I sounded negative. I certainly didn't mean to :)

The point I was trying to get across is that the kit I set out for unorthodox was intended for relatively untrained people who are in a group where everyone has their own kit and they all carry gloves. In that case there isn't a definate need for each person to carry spares. As you know the gloves are to protect the first-aider, not the casualty. So for the situation unorthodox set out where everyone goes home after the incident they should only need one pair in the personal kit with spares in the group kit. If they want to carry more on them then go for it :)

Nigel.

brandon26

Banned
Jan 29, 2011
america
* 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
* 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
* 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
* 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
* 5 antiseptic wipe packets
* 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
* 1 blanket (space blanket)
* 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
* 1 instant cold compress
* 2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large)
* 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
* Scissors
* 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
* 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
* 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
* 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
* Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
* 2 triangular bandages
* Tweezers
* First aid instruction booklet

pretty much most of that put down i put in 2 differnt kits

the first is not what i call 1st aid its just stuff to deal with the things that happen and you probably expect to use some of it when out
and carry on with what ever your doing so a 1st and last aid kit

that the plasters paracetamol imodium etc i carry some in my wash kit

A&E kit is the 1st aid you dont want to use and when you do its **** END Ex of to hospital ASAP

mostly thats
Breathing
Bleeding - Major
Breaks
Burns -Major

this sort of Kit i think helps in that (barr the Decompression Needle unless trained )

http://www.itstactical.com/its-tactical-store/#ETA

silk sutures and needles you wont need in UK and will probably do more harm than good closing a contaminated wound etc which they will have to remove in the theatre

basically keep the blood and oxygen in and going round and get to a hospital

good large dressings these days are better than teh old army FFD

these where on a GB
like the Israeli Bandage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRklQkfDLE

Im hoping to get some of these

oales modular bandage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XJx1PoivQ

also think about maybe cylume light sticks for marking and or strobe lights

E

ex member coconino

...Personally IMHO your FA kit should be the first thing someone can find (would you trust your life on theirs being on hand in a normal civvy bushcraft meet)... pouch around your waist, top of your rucksack ect. Keep it red, and easy access but thats just me.

Not just you, that's pretty much what I was about to post. A FAK should look like a FAK, and the converse is true, don't use a handily-sized FAK pouch for anything other than a FAK, i.e. don't use a spare FAK pouch for snacks or fire kit.

As for what goes in the kit, I like to have a couple of plastic bags in there, firstly to provide a clean place to put things down and secondly to contain stuff to be disposed of.

on stuff to carry and use in every day cuts you just live with i use
Germolene antiseptic with local aesthetic on cuts etc (even good when you bite nail and rip of a bit to much :yikes: stops it being sore for ages)
micropore surgical tape sticks well to skin and good to back up the plaster especially on fingers and joints etc

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE