Wetterlings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Nothing wrong with their axes. I’m sure with a little love you will become firm friends. Just remember not to introduce it to your soft squishy bits.

A good axe is a joy to use keep it shave sharp by regular stropping. I’d probably wire wool the handle and give it a few coats of boiled linseed and white spirit mixed.

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
Just to add a little to my post...

I mix my linseed oil 50/50 with white spirit,
There might be a coat of wax already on the handle I don't know how Wetterlings are when they arrive ?
Give it a rub down with some wire wool or sandpaper
I coat my handles until they stop sucking it up

Also dispose of any oil soaked rags very carefully beware of spontaneous combustion

Reactions: MrEd and cascare

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just to add a little to my post...

I mix my linseed oil 50/50 with white spirit,
There might be a coat of wax already on the handle I don't know how Wetterlings are when they arrive ?
Give it a rub down with some wire wool or sandpaper
I coat my handles until they stop sucking it up

Also dispose of any oil soaked rags very carefully beware of spontaneous combustion

Sound advice that none should ignore

..........but I've been trying to get linseed rags to combust for years without success

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
Generally I apply it with the paintbrush that lives in the coffee jar with the oil and spirit mix or just use my hands

Just passing on the info

cascare

Dec 10, 2012
Cleasby
I mixed my Linseed/spirit 70/30, only because I saw a chap in america on a youtube vid, anyhow, my Robin Wood axe handle has come up great, admittedly it still probably would soak some more up as per Sparky415's post so will give anolther coat.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I apply the BLO undiluted with a dmsll rag, rub it on, let sosk, repeat. Until it doed not take in more.

The real experts heat up the wood and oil.

Your axe will last your lifetime. Good buy!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wetterlings recommend the wood and the ax head is treated with a thin layer of linseed oil ( they do not write if raw or boiled) and the edge protector with bees wax,

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
isn't using white spirit racist...................................lol
The main thing is to put oil on the handle, if its too thick thin it down so it soaks into the wood, if it soaks in in its natural state so be it, just keep it oiled, if I lay mine up for a while, say the winter, I wrap it in a lightly oiled cloth so it doesn't dry out., and regular stropping is essential, keep it sharp and it will save you a lot of time, i dont think Wetterling still make Axes under that name anymore.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
A good friction grip on the handle is useful = you don't need to have a "death grip" for control.
I used various carving adzes. My first question, all the time, is "If I miss-strike, where will that edge go?"

All my adze handles are wrapped with #18 tarred nylon seine twine. Just a little bit sticky for grip.
The easiest sharpening system will be a set of grits in fine automotive finishing sand papers: 600, 800, 1,000, 1,200 and 1,500.
The electron microscope pictures show there's no use in going further.
Hone on a hard box card strop with Chromium Oxide (green) + Aluminum oxide (white) honing compound stick.
The stick carrier is some sort of wax that leaves just the right amount on the blade to stop rusting.

Reactions: Michael White

Michael White

Oct 15, 2018
Consett, Co Durham
isn't using white spirit racist...................................lol
The main thing is to put oil on the handle, if its too thick thin it down so it soaks into the wood, if it soaks in in its natural state so be it, just keep it oiled, if I lay mine up for a while, say the winter, I wrap it in a lightly oiled cloth so it doesn't dry out., and regular stropping is essential, keep it sharp and it will save you a lot of time, i dont think Wetterling still make Axes under that name anymore.

Beautiful video. They were bought out by Granfors in 2017. The Wetterlings axe can still be bought from the factory, though stock is dwindling! The owners of the shop where i bought the axe from were recently over there and bought several back with them. I feel I'm fortunate to own one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE