Webtex paracord ok for a Tarp Ridgeline?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 15, 2017
Meppershall
As a complete newcomer to using a Tarp, is this paracord with breaking strain of about 50kg suitable for a 3x3 DD Tarp?

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Unless you have modded your tarp and added over 40kg of bling, diamante, food pockets, axe holders and I am running out of silly ideas here, it should be ok.
There will be more stain on the ridge then just the simple weight of the tarp but if you do not have the hang so tight that the ridge is perfectly flat it will not go close to the 50kg.
By this I mean that there is a reasonable amount of dip. I have seen some setups where the tarp is almost ironed flat the rig is so tight. That could be easy over 50kg of strain. Yes it will shed water fantastic but the odd winkle and dip is not the end of the world.
For the main I have rarely got my hang loverly and tight. The spot where the tent pegs go is just not right...I have pulled one side too tight before setting the other side... haveing got it set set up just nice I change my mind and lift one part with a pole to give better head room... all of which mean that a less then perfect hang still keeps me dry in a down pour. If there is any pooling ( there will be !!!) it is able to drain before becomeing an issue.

From a different point however is the idea of a widow maker. There can be a real chance of a branch falling and landing on your tarp and then on you. A paracord ridge will be of little help. In the past I had all but dissmissed the idea until.... the sound of a cracking branch and the noise of the fall once heard can not be forgot. It was not in any of my trees and it was not within sight but the sound was unmistakeable and not easy forgotten. I now use a webbing strap as my ridge line.

Trotsky

The only thing I have to say about the webtex cord is how damn slippery it is. Knots that grip sure with other cords just slip and slide with the webtex. On the upside it's driven the missus and I to learn more knots to compensate, I've found a midshipman's hitch makes a good adjustable guy line knot using the webtex. If you really want it to grip and hold tension using a Blake's hitch to form an adjustable loop works well. I improvised a second washing line that way using a length of the webtex.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE