Weak Arches / Flat Feet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a friends whose 11 year old daughter has weak arches or Flat feet - anyone got experience of this and is there anything one can do ( exercises ) to remedy this??

I always find the diverse group at BCUK normally have some useful contributions , hence the questions.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Yes, I have totally collapsed arches and my feet, ankles, knees, hips, back (especially) and neck all gave me grief as a teenager because of this condition. I got them looked at when I was about 14 and had some orthotics made to counter the effects. They worked to a degree, as did the exercises I was given, but I was a bit late to really do a huge amount about them.

I initially was taken to our GP who referred me to a podiatrist, who referred me in turn to a private foot-whisperer (he made the orthotics). If I were to offer your friend any advice it would be to get his daughter seen to ASAP, before it's too late.

Cheers,

JRK

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes, I have totally collapsed arches and my feet, ankles, knees, hips, back (especially) and neck all gave me grief as a teenager because of this condition. I got them looked at when I was about 14 and had some orthotics made to counter the effects. They worked to a degree, as did the exercises I was given, but I was a bit late to really do a huge amount about them.

I initially was taken to our GP who referred me to a podiatrist, who referred me in turn to a private foot-whisperer (he made the orthotics). If I were to offer your friend any advice it would be to get his daughter seen to ASAP, before it's too late.

Cheers,

JRK

So Exercises per se you found useless or did you apply yourself less than you could as a teenager??

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes I have. When I was young, I was forced to do daily exercise, and to wear steel inserts in my shoes for years. The exercises made my feet ache lots. The inserts were a torture, got blisters in the arches, then thickened skin that was like leather and did crack and cause pain.
Could hardly run.
Despite receiving the best possible treatment at that time, my arches did not improve. I was told I would be rejected to join the Swedish army, which I started to train for age 14.
They were wrong. I joined a unit that skis, and walks huge distances.
Absolutely no problems from my feet.
I am now closer to 60 than 55 - no problems from my feet.

Arches still low.

The only advice I would give to the girl is to learn to walk with her feet pointing to the straight front, and not to twist them to the side.
If she walks like a duck, she is twisting her feet to the side. This will cause wear of one of the joints on the inside of the foot.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yes I have. When I was young, I was forced to do daily exercise, and to wear steel inserts in my shoes for years. The exercises made my feet ache lots. The inserts were a torture, got blisters in the arches, then thickened skin that was like leather and did crack and cause pain.
Could hardly run.
Despite receiving the best possible treatment at that time, my arches did not improve. I was told I would be rejected to join the Swedish army, which I started to train for age 14.
They were wrong. I joined a unit that skis, and walks huge distances.
Absolutely no problems from my feet.
I am now closer to 60 than 55 - no problems from my feet.

Arches still low.

The only advice I would give to the girl is to learn to walk with her feet pointing to the straight front, and not to twist them to the side.
If she walks like a duck, she is twisting her feet to the side. This will cause wear of one of the joints on the inside of the foot.

Janne - do you mean if she walks with her feet in a non neutral parallel alignment? but at sort of 20 - 30 deg angles?

Or do you mean the actual foot bottom ' rolling ' in so walking more on the inside of her insole??

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Janne - do you mean if she walks with her feet in a non neutral parallel alignment? but at sort of 20 - 30 deg angles?

Or do you mean the actual foot bottom ' rolling ' in so walking more on the inside of her insole??

Straight firward is 12 o’clock, ok?
If her right toes point at 12.10 or more, and the left toes 11.50 or less, she is then walking more on the inside of her feet.
That can be gradually corrected by learning (I did that)
If she is twisting her feet even more and walking so the outside of her sole is in the air - operation might be needed. A friends daughter had that.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Ditch the inserts - look into barefoot style shoes / minimalist shoes / zero heel drop.

I endorse this. Wearing this type of shoes gives the feet a chance to gorm naturally.
No growing child should wear a high herl shoe, as the calf muscles will not develop cirrectly.

Also if a child has foot development problems, the soles should be soft and flexible.
Plus, no shoes at home, just socks.

Gods created us to walk bare footed. Not having a shoe where the toes are forced into a rigid pointy cone and the heel is 3 inches higher than the ( compressed) toes.

Those shoes are only ok to wear on Friday evenings at home, gentlemen! :lmao:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Shes active enough and wins most of her races at school. Its more the long term concerns that we are looking to prevent.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I'm also in the school of thought of going to a podiatrist, professional guidance should be a must.

Supperfeet insoles provide arch support, quicker to get them from a shop than waiting for inserts to be made.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Shes active enough and wins most of her races at school. Its more the long term concerns that we are looking to prevent.
Well then it will sustain the activity, and the arches may raise. Flat feet + activity especially running equal achillies tendon hamstring and liggament trouble. If she wins most of her races with flat feet she must be good! The arch adds a lot to the locomotion.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Which arch though ? if it's the one across the ball of the foot, then shoes can be a real issue. Swimming's supposed to be excellent exercise for the feet without the strain/pressure of weight bearing.

Reactions: petrochemicals

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have not experienced any lower prestanda from my duck feet.

I do not know how a ‘normal person’ walks but I walk more on the front part of the foot. I learned to do that when I learned to point the feet more forward.

Feels good.
I think it is imposdible to give advice when we donot know the severity of her feet.

I still do not recommend arch supporting inlays. Painful, and only makes the tendons and joints in the foit weak, as they are resting against the support.

If you choose to give her support, I would not buy one off the shelf, but have one custom made, one that fits her foot and affliction perfectly.

I would never recommend anybody getting a prefabricated crown for a tooth either. Same principle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE