Waterproofing help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I got a lovely warm padded jacket for Christmas (pretty sure it’s synthetic and not down) and have been wearing it for the last few days.

I know it’s not meant to be “waterproof” but I got caught in a heavy shower today and ended up getting a bit drippy.

I’ve never tried to waterproof this type of material, anyone have any hints of what to use and what the best method is.
Don’t want to ruin a perfectly good jacket but would like it to be a bit better in wet weather.

029591e8ef363d7bde212234b32fe099.jpg

Cheers Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi all,

I got a lovely warm padded jacket for Christmas (pretty sure it’s synthetic and not down) and have been wearing it for the last few days.

I know it’s not meant to be “waterproof” but I got caught in a heavy shower today and ended up getting a bit drippy.

I’ve never tried to waterproof this type of material, anyone have any hints of what to use and what the best method is.
Don’t want to ruin a perfectly good jacket but would like it to be a bit better in wet weather.

The only thing I can suggest is Nikwax SoftShell Proof - it comes in spray-on or wash formats. At the best it may hold off the worst rain for a while but it will not make it waterproof. I don't think you can do any harm with this product but you'll have to decide :)

Cheers,
Broch

Reactions: Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I wouldn't attempt it if it was mine, just ignore light rain and have a light over layer for heavy rain; I don't know how you'd ever get all that stitching proofed whatever you did.

I tried to proof items that weren't waterproof for a while, back in the day, and I found you can't do it successfully on most of them; also, when you get large-ish areas somewhat repellant the rain gets in the seams just as quickly but then the jacket or whatever it is takes forever to dry out as you've locked the wet inside, to some extent.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks both, i wasn't holding out much hope being honest and that at least answers my question.
I've been struggling to find an inner/outer layer combo that doesn't make me sweat - the padded jacked it too warm with a waterproof outer and fleeces aren't quite warm enough - at least I won't end up ruining a perfectly good jacket.

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garethw

Settler
I tried one of the spray on products on my Snugpak Sleeka, which looks similar type to yours.... had no real effect on it.. no noticeable proofing....
Generally they do dry pretty quickly.. I got caught in a shower today and by the time I drove home the' jacket had dried just with my body heat and the car heater...
I did get a cheap nylon waterproof from Decathlon, (2 sizes bigger so it will go over Sleeka) that is not breathable, but I can throw it over the top if I need to and it works well.. It is small enough to fit in a pocket or day pack...

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I had a jacket like this and it was advertised as quick drying as it spreads the water over the surface quickly, when it stops raining it drys quickly! I think with the design you’d struggle to waterproof it. The theory does work as we sank a boat in Canada and had to swim to shore. Once on the shore all the water drained quickly out of the synthetic lining and outer shell. It was Baltic and I reckon if the garment held water I would have been in trouble.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE