Waterproof kilt...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Okay, I've been thinking about this idea over the last few months.

Basically, I like walking. And I like walking when its raining. I have a decent waterproof coat

The trouble is, I hate waterproof overtrousers. I don't like wearing them all the time 'just in case', and have found it a pain to put them on in a hurry when its raining

However, I like to have my legs covered because sooner or later the water running of my Jacket soaks through my trouser legs. I nearly always wear gaiters so its only really a problem for my upper legs.

So, what I was thinking was that a Waterproof wraparound kilt might be ideal.

Basically a rectangular piece of Gore Tex or whatever that can be pulled out of the pack, wrapped around the waist and fastened to cover the area between my knees and the bottom of my coat.

Waterproof, and very breathable. Also I was thinking that it could be used as a groundsheet for underneath the tarp.

Just wondering what you guys thought of the idea?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
One idea that occurs is to make it attachable to the inside of the jacket, that way when you take the jacket off in public it comes off with it and you don't get all the attention for appearing, to some, to be a guy in a skirt.

I toyed with the idea of doing something similar using ultralight silnylon, velcroed closed at the front, leaving it attached to the jacket and folding up inside as a lining when not required for waterprotection.

Jun 5, 2006
Hampshire
Interesting idea, although I have to agree that it might look a touch odd. I think I'll stick with my poncho when the rain really starts to fall.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your out on your own, or with mates, why not just use a bin liner, no need for Gortex etc, and the bin liner will be long enough to go below your gaiters; just a thought

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just being female here guys, but why not make a piece the right length that fits the width of your jacket with some button holes in the top edge. Sew corresponding buttons on the inside of your jacket lining, fasten together and hey presto, your short jacket becomes a coat when needed. Make sure you create a good overlap at the front and it will allow for freedom of movement as well as keeping you dry.

atb,
Toddy

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Toddy said:
Just being female here guys, but why not make a piece the right length that fits the width of your jacket with some button holes in the top edge. Sew corresponding buttons on the inside of your jacket lining, fasten together and hey presto, your short jacket becomes a coat when needed. Make sure you create a good overlap at the front and it will allow for freedom of movement as well as keeping you dry.

atb,
Toddy

Yeah, I had thought of that, but discounted it for a couple of reasons:-

1) As you walk your legs move and your hips twist around. I'd rather this happen independently of my to half so its not twisting round

2) It would mean trying to attach numerous buttons etc to a rather expensive coat, something I'm not really comfortable with, when I could just stick a bit of velcro on a bit of whatever material

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why not have a look at the Hunting, Shooting, Fishing sites then for gralloching gear? Some of the water, blood and gore proof wrap arounds and aprons might be just what you need.
There are waterproof skirt covers already available for ladies who shoot, and again, that might do for what you want.

Cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the waterproof kilt is meant to be used in conjunction with a pair of chaps.
looks like a good idea, but i don't know if it'll take off though.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
In one of Colin Fletcher's "Complete Walker" books he advocates using a bin liner as a rain kilt. I have never tried it but it seemed a good idea.....not a new idea mind you as Colin published this in the late 60's or early 70's....cannot quite recall which edition of the series this was in.

Definately worth a try.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
its not a bad idea. but you could also get breathable waterproof trousers or a long coat which goes to your knees (i have a poncho i got for 99p).

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
dommyracer said:
The trouble is, I hate waterproof overtrousers. I don't like wearing them all the time 'just in case', and have found it a pain to put them on in a hurry when its raining

I think that's the key... I have a pair of Berghaus overtrousers that unzip right up to the hip - makes them much easier to get in / out of, plus you can get at your trouser pockets by unzipping them from the top rather than the bottom.

ahsansial1

Nov 23, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
scottishkiltshop.com
You can check best kilt for this option
https://scottishkiltshop.com/modern-kilts-for-men
fire_fighter_kilt.jpg

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hilleberg the tentmaker do a garment called a Bivanorak. Its a bit like a full length waterproof that can be tied up when not required

Pricey, but Hilleberg's customer and after sales service is absolutely superb, by far the best I have experienced

Not sure how to post a link to their website via tapatalk, but here's a picture of it

841eaeea6f0e9244ff9cf3cc70f9162e.jpg

No affiliation, just a happy Hilleberg customer

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Through hikers over the pond have been using "rain skirts" for decades, I'd guess they're one of Ray Jardine's innovations, I've never tried myself them but I imagine they'd be a bit sweaty. I have used waterproof chaps, which obviously aren't so sweaty in the crotch area, my waterproof coat covers the bits that the chaps don't, they're actually very effective.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE