Wanted; a few seeds for container gardening.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Everyone else on my site is doing it!

All I have is a sage bush and some mint...both are useful.

Full packets of seeds would be far too many...has anyone anything surplus?

I like;

peas
runner beans
carrots
radishes
any hard green leaves

But lets see what you have.

I have lots of

leather bits
sea glass. (This is Cornwall, land of pretty stones...everyon wants sea glass...)
pretty stones!
a horn keyring
I think I have some pumpkin seeds somewhere

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Are you constrained by silly rules regarding transplanting wild edibles?
I have several distinctly different micro-climates around my house
if we had much worth digging up beyond harvesting wildflower seed for borders.
Mountain Lupines, Gaillardia, but few others.
Wild public land is so close that nobody does much of that.

If you have truely soggy wet ground, how about ferns to harvest a few croziers for a feed or two?

Snake

Maker
Jan 5, 2017
North Wilts
I have some peas, and runner beans, harvested form last years crop, also I bought about a pound of carrot seeds a couple of years ago.
Pm me with your address and how many you think you would like and I will drop them in the post.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Aldi are 'doing' 99p packs of seeds, with each pack contain

Pea-&-Bean-Collection-Seed-Multipack-A.jpg

Vegetable-Patch-Seed-Multipack-A.jpg

Salad-Bar-Classics-Seed-Multipack-A.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Isn't there legislation against collecting "sea glass" and "pretty rocks" from the beach for trade?

Edit: just had a quick Google and, exactly as I suspected, beaches are just the same as anywhere else, taking things that aren't yours is theft. Be careful.

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Isn't there legislation against collecting "sea glass" and "pretty rocks" from the beach for trade?

Edit: just had a quick Google and, exactly as I suspected, beaches are just the same as anywhere else, taking things that aren't yours is theft. Be careful.

Sea glass is litter and cleaning up beaches is encouraged so I wouldn't be too concerned. I swear half of the economy of Cornwall is now based on selling driftwood and sea glass and no one has gone to jail yet.

I had a look through my seeds but supplies are low I'm afraid. I didn't harvest any of my own seed last year for various reasons and I'm kicking myself a bit now.

If I can make a suggestion though, don't use second hand carrot seed, it really doesn't keep well and germination rates start to drop off rapidly after the first season. If you buy fresh though try Burpee or Rondo for containers, they did well for us last year. Both are short and fat so they don't need a huge soil depth and grow fairly quickly so you can keep sowing and use an entire packet of seed in a season. We try and sow carrot seed every 2 weeks to keep the crop coming. Use a tall container or keep it elevated above ground level to keep it out of the reach of carrot fly. They don't go much more than 30cm above ground level apparently.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
It is quite possible to grow tomatoes from seed. You can obtain your own seed from an example tomato that you have bought as food. The missus and I have done this several times with more exotic varieties of plum tomato to good effect. Seeds can be gathered throughout the year and dried on pieces of kitchen towel, then planted into damp seed compost and brought on in a warm place. We use a shelf in the airing cupboard. With a little care, the results are very tasty and more or less free :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
DaveO You are quite right about the economy being based on Sea glass....I must be one of the richest persons in Cornwall now.

Thanks for the suggestions

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE