Walting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

Chitterne

Not sure where to post this. I'm still new here, but even so, I'm becoming a little bemused.

I'm sniffing around 'bushcraft' as a way to have fun with my brats,

But I keep seeing stuff about webbing 'loadouts', people signing themselves 'Pilgrim'; talk about 'belt order' and now in response to a question about a pocket first aid kit one of the first suggestions is quikclot ??!

Have I misunderstood what 'bushcrafters' think they're about?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
i totaly under stand what you mean, but i think its just some peoples take on differing ideas, views vary from the benifits of using ex mil kit to the benifits of leather pouches, its all about how you get out and about, everyones different

thred title;) :p

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
There's a massively broad spectrum of people on here from zombie killing survivalists ;) to (naturally) dyed in the wool re-enactors. There's even car campers, hillwalkers and other such weirdos. Everyone of them can teach you something, you just need to decide what nuggets of information suit your.... erm.....style?? :dunno:

I prefer steristrips myself and I prefer having fun with my brats too. :D

Keep looking, keep absorbing and keep discarding, it's all good, most recent highlights for me were toddys wee trays and grooveski's loch lomond trip, not quite walting material but....

Cheers,

Alan

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I think I know what you mean........

There are some who only use the absolute bare minimal.
There are those who are happy to have all the latest kit (regardless of expence)
There are those who insist on only natural materials
There are those who try to use what ever comes to hand and abore waste or expence

I think bushcraft is all things to all people, and to some extent we can be more or less in any or all of the above divisions.....but that's folks for you.

What really matters is what bushcraft is to you, how slight or over laden you are, how green you want to be, or how gadgety your inclination.

For me, it is certainly a mix and at times more one way then the other.....

If I go camping with wife, in the carvan, I still take the kelly kettle and make breakfst on it! Why? I enjoy it, it saves gas, and I'm tight fisted!

I think, if you are intending bushcrafting with the kids....you may have to make certain sacrifices of comfort and safety on their behalf but you can still delve as far as you wish.....Personally I think you've got the right idea having them involved, and hope they enjoy the experience.

Smoggy

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not sure where to post this. I'm still new here, but even so, I'm becoming a little bemused.

But I keep seeing stuff about webbing 'loadouts', people signing themselves 'Pilgrim'; talk about 'belt order' and now in response to a question about a pocket first aid kit one of the first suggestions is quikclot ??!

As others have said; not really. But I can think of times when ways to "STOP THAT BLEEDING NOW!" is a survival skill. Think axe (or chainsaw, which is nastier) and a moments ****up or inattention. People have chopped off their foot with an axe, chainsaws have cut up legs quite badly. No, I don't have quikclot myself (not even sure if it is approved here in Sweden), but I would consider having it when working with a chainsaw.

As to "loadouts", I personally have done my time in green and grey (back then the Swedish army wore green cotton in summer and grey wool in winter), and see no reason to carry "webbing". But you can talk about a "beltorder" and mean the knife and the leather pouch with first aid kit, compass and firemaking tools. And others like the notion of having all their kit handy, so why not let them have their sillyness in peace?

Once someone talk about preparing for the Killer Zombies from Mars or then the Old Ones awake in R'yleh (or even sillier; when the Russkies invade), then I would either gently make fun of them and move on, or plain ignore them. And the only reason I carry garlic flakes is for cooking, so there.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Chitterne,

Lots of folk here are ex-mil so terms probably creep into their posts unbidden. Personally I am not a fan of 'cammo' but The cheapest kit is often surplus, so my big pack is a standard PLCE job and my walking trousers are £5 lightweights.

Last week I took my 8yr old and his friend out for a trip to the woods. They made a frame out of sticks which we threw a tarp over. We then did use a standard UK Mil spec hexy stove to cook lunch. Why that? because I don't have permission to light fires there and it's a more subtle smokeless stove than my hobo one!

I didn't take any fancy first aid. I tend to take a couple of large wound dressings in case I was to cut myself badly and other than that it is mostly band aids and antiseptic cream.

It's your bushcraft, enjoy it they way that suits you and your family.
Cheers,
Steve

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Chitterne,

As others have said, it is a very broad spectrum on here - take what appeals to you and develop it into your style of bushcraft & ignore the other stuff!

I'm one of the wierdo's that Chainsaw warned you about...
There's even car campers, hillwalkers and other such weirdos.

But I do enjoy more typical bushy activities too so I must be confused!

Simon

EDIT:

Love the title - but only ex mob would get it!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
, people signing themselves 'Pilgrim';

Pilgrim is usually used in a different context on here as well. More akin to mountain men in the old West rather than a reference to Fleckers 'The Golden Journey to Samarkand' or any inscriptions of quotes or extracts from it.........or any Herefordshire based rugby teams for that matter!:27: ;)

IMG_0552.jpg

Some just bring the terminology to the forum. Hell, just wait until the pirates, ninjas and vikings start! :swordfigh

xylaria

I have no idea what a webbing loadout or belt order is. Quikclot sounds like a good idea, i stepped on nail last saturday, and I was half centimetre off needing it. There are quite few threads on horrid accendents people have. I used tannic plants to stop bleeding, but they won't hold together something that needs surgery.

I had a funny misconception when I first joined this site 2 1/2 years ago, that bushcrafters were solitary blokes in their thirties who camp out their own to aviod the wife and kids, who wear military looking kit, and know vertually nothing about plants so eat rat packs and squirrels. I came to some meet-ups and I now know that I WAS WRONG.

I got into this site looking for outdoorsy stuff to do with the kids during the summer holiday. I like zombie films, wild food, mushrooms, traditional fabric arts, woodwork, spending time with the kids. If I get drunk enough I will put on a tinfoil hat and tell everyone that I am a member of SAS.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

A Pilgrim is someone making a special journey. To me the journey of life. There is no military connotation intended. Military kit is hard wearing and good for hunting and wildlife watching. It is also good to blend in with the countryside rather than wear day-glo colours and cause visual pollution from 2kms.

Bushcraft is many things to many people and all should be allowed to enjoy it as they feel fit without some ARRSer trying to mock them.

Walts are airsoft boys who want to look like soldiers carrying rifles etc and playing at trying to shoot each other. There are no walts on here.

Dave the PILGRIM

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

Most folks here have a life and hobbies beyond their interest in bushcraft and sometimes those interests will benefit from information they glean from this forum and occasionally the 'bushcrafters' on this forum will benefit from non 'bushcrafty' material that is born of those other interests. Arguably Robin Woods posts regarding his recent work with a drystone waller are not particularly 'bushcrafty' however I for one find them interesting.

A Pilgrim is someone making a special journey. To me the journey of life. There is no military connotation intended.

I know that there are at least three members who have walked at least one pilgrim route and two of these did it for religious purposes, I've walked five pilgrim routes; not for a spiritual purpose but because they were very long and had some pretty towns and countryside along the route :D

Walts are airsoft boys who want to look like soldiers carrying rifles etc and playing at trying to shoot each other. There are no walts on here.

I think there are some 'Airsoft' people on here, however most of them keep their 'Airsoft' related activities to themselves or the Airsoft forums :D

Love the title - but only ex mob would get it!

I'm not 'ex-mob' however I presumed that it was a reference to Walter Mitty and I'd agree that there are a few 'Walters' here, but isn't the same true everywhere :D

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Chitterne,
keep looking, keep coming back, keep reading.

It would seem to me there are as many sides to this bushcraft as there are people posting on the forum.

Don't have to see eye to eye with any or all of them but I sure as learned loads by being on here.

As for the "brats" I really really wished I had got into this game sooner with my two. Still have my 16 in toe and she is still up for it mind.

Enjoy

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Its horses for courses really everybody on here uses what they want and tend to speak easy (just don't talk about ray v's bear). There's little hostility on the site and everybody from the flint knappers to the survivalist factions get along pretty well, if they didn't I wouldn't still be here.

I'm not a military wannabe or survivalist, though I seem to have picked up some acronyms somehow :rolleyes: . I've got a mixture of kit that is military and civvy and I wear a lot of neutral clothing.

You just have to either search the forums for what you want or wait for them to pop up, topics can seem to go in circles on this site one week it's hobo stoves, the next it's flint knapping, the week after the posts all seem to have come from the song of the paddle ;) . But its all good everybody brings something.

For nice posts that don't involve surviving the end of the world take a look at mistwalkers posts where he lives is truely beautiful. Or take a look at the OUT and About section of the forum.

Oh and I would warn you I tend to drop zombies into conversations at times, cos you never know they may come yet :D

Feb 26, 2009
Hull
Bushcraft Walt? lol thats a new one. Is that somebody who wears an exact Ray Mears loadout, including socks and underwear?

I have enough surplus and molle gear to sink a battleship and use it all the time, it gets the job done and wont let you down. As for carrrying hemostatics, i wouldnt go out without them. My personal choice is CELOX and an Izzy Bandage, try stabbing yourself in an artery with that nice new Axe/Machete/Knife while your 2+hrs away from medical help - its times like this that 'walty' behaviour will save your/sombody elses life!

C

Chitterne

Bushcraft Walt? lol thats a new one. !

Word order is critical. I was asking about Walters bushcrafting.

A subtle difference :) .

I've no issue at all with someone thinking they're Ray Mears or Grizzly Adams...infact I'd almost say that that's rather cool :)

But I couldn't say I think the the same about those who seem to think they're dressing-up for a patrol in the green zone :)

Thanks for the answers. Mostly reassuring!

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Word order is critical. I was asking about Walters bushcrafting.

A subtle difference :) .

I've no issue at all with someone thinking they're Ray Mears or Grizzly Adams...infact I'd almost say that that's rather cool :)

But I couldn't say I think the the same about those who seem to think they're dressing-up for a patrol in the green zone :)

Thanks for the answers. Mostly reassuring!

Oh but we are mostly reassuring, well most of us are bar the ones that the zombies have eaten our brains :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE