Walking stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have a piece of chunky teak floor board that I am planning to turn into a walking stick.

For the handle I think I can only get 3" maximum of the board. Do people think that is enough for a handle or should I try an splice some of the same wood in at right angles ?

I might just have to play about and see how it goes.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Jointing some wood at right angles would make for a stronger handle.

As for 3" being enough, measure the palm of the hand that's going to be using the stick. For my plates of meat it'd be way too small but a slim hand it might be fine

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Just measured a couple of old walking sticks and they are 3 to 3 1/4 inch from handle end to inside the stick. They tend to suggest that one would hold it like a saw with the index finger inline with the stick which is quite comfortable for my 4" wide palms.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Think about both the length and the weight. I walk with a diamond willow cane, the handle is a seperate piece glued on at right angles.
The handle is at least 2" wide. That's a big, soft face to lean on as I must when I stop walking (sense of balance is screwed.)
Old hands can be arthritic hands and skinny cane handles really hurt under load.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Thanks all. I will get hold of some nice contrasting wood, maybe maple or similar. It was one idea I was palying with anyway.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Just a question - is your wood piece not a bit stiff and inflexible for a walking stick?

LOL, not sure I have not made one yet. I have quite a few Hazel staffs drying in my shed and will do something with those one day.

The teak is from a load of old floor boards that must be at least 80 years old and are currently sitting in my dads garage.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I work a bit with ‘exotic’ woods, and find they are hard, but brittle, if you get my meaning.

The old woods, proper rainforest woods, are even harder! But so much nicer grain. Slow grown with a beautiful figuring.

Get the fibres running alongside the length, to get maximum strength.

For a such exclusive wood, I would make the handle of a nice contrasting wood, a highly figured one. Maple as you suggest. Birds eye maple maybe?
Birch is nice too.
Or one cast in metal.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I was thinking of starting like this.

Untitled by Leaky5, on Flickr

Square up the plank I have first and cut a small amount off to insert at the top. Shaded bit on my picture.
Then glue a thin layer of contrasting wood on either side to create a T shape at the top of the plank.
Work out shape of handle and then pin though with brass rod.
Cut to shape and hopefully get this type of effect.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/540572761515513032/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE