Veg patch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have a spare patch of ground in my garden i would like to turn over to veg. it is around 12mx5m. it is rough grown at the moment with a large compost heap to one side.

How do i go about prepping for next season (Total Noob to this)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can you find something to cover it all and let the weeds die back ? The woven plastic stuff sold as underlining for chips and pavers would do, and it's relatively cheap.
The alternatives are either raised beds (though the mis-named lazy beds would work well too I suspect) or to slog it out and dig it over. Rotovators, unless near tractor type, can find untrimmed rough a real effort.

Spuds though, spuds make digging it over useful work. Seriously, turn over a patch and plant spuds. There's something incredibly satisfying about digging up something you've grown and making dinner from it :)

How is it situated though? My garden is surrounded by houses and trees and can be shady and sodden wet. My Uncle's old house on the main road though is so exposed that the ground dries out and bakes hard. Masses of warm sunshine, but a pain to keep it well watered. It affects what we can, and want to be bothered, growing. That's why I ask.

I like growing easy fruit too though. Blackcurrants and rasps thrive here. So does rhubarb. Apart from potatoes, and oca :), I can't grow root vegetables. Keel slugs demolish them :sigh: The fruits though will grow happily over the semi-permeable membrane stuff and you wouldn't need to dig the whole plot over.

The other important thing is what do you actually like to eat though ?

Your 'patch' is a good allotment sized piece :) Hopefully the people who have one (Beachlover comes to mind) will see the thread too :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think it depends on how rough the ground is and how much effort you can spend.

If it's just neglected grass then covering it to kill off the grass and then digging, creating mulch beds will work. If it's got plenty of perrenial weeds such as nettles, brambles or tree roots then I think it would be best to dig them out. Rotavating would just chop the roots into small cuttings.

I've just created a new garden and used a mini-digger, a bit OTT but then I had to dig out brambles and blackthorn!

I would only bring as much ground into use as you will use, otherwise he rest will just weed up again. Avoid covering in old carpet unless you like the idea of picking out pieces of old carpet from you garden for years to come.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

This is the patch, the house in the background is directly South. There will be chickens under the sycamore and birch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starsailor

feisty celt
Have a read up on permaculture mulch beds - quick, easy and cheap; start saving cardboard now, and get it on the land where you want the beds to be. It's a quick way of getting land into production. Also look up 'chicken tractor'. HTH

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
…..and are your neighbours fine with chickens so close to their houses ?
If they're cooped, they can stink.

M

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

M

Yes, there are only 3 girls, and we are liberal with our eggs

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
I recently applied mulch to a mixture of borders and raised beds.

Followed these steps.

1. Remove vegetation
2. Level earth
3. Take newspaper fold out sheets and lay 3 thick ( ask local newsagents or look on free cycle, people are pretty helpful)
4. Spray with water
5. Cover with 2-4 inch of mulch (got mine off a local farmer. Shredded chipped pines, paid £25 a tonne which is a hell of a lot cheaper then b and q and the likes).

When I come to plant I simply pull some of the mulch back, cut a hole in the newspaper chuck your plant in and compost.

Its kept all the weeds down and is saving on watering.

Best thing is it rots down after a couple of years improving the soil quality as it goes.

Sent from my BV6000S using Tapatalk

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon

M

Anything can if you don't look after them. We had three hens in our back garden, droppings cleaned out and added to the compst heap regularly, no unpleasant smell at all. To be honest they can be a little noisly if they're used to being let out and then are shut in a coop, but no worse than children. No problems with rats either, they tend to be attracted to left over scraps when people put out food for the birds.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
A very appreciated neighbor you must be!

Lovely garden. You will not have to buy much veg in the future!

Thanks. That is just the "Top" of the garden.

Can't wait to get going with it

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Anything can if you don't look after them. We had three hens in our back garden, droppings cleaned out and added to the compst heap regularly, no unpleasant smell at all. To be honest they can be a little noisly if they're used to being let out and then are shut in a coop, but no worse than children. No problems with rats either, they tend to be attracted to left over scraps when people put out food for the birds.

My problem might be these "Sky Rats"

Though, they ain't too bad on a warm salad

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Permaculture looks the way to go as I have masses of compost to put over the card.

Just got a load of old branches to burn first

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Permaculture looks the way to go as I have masses of compost to put over the card.

Just got a load of old branches to burn first

Permaculture IS definitely the way to go in all accounts.
Working with Nature , not against it.

www.pernaculture.co.uk is a great online resource.
Jam packed with information

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nope, hardcore vegetarian here :D

I promise that anyone who chooses to visit me though can take away a bowlful of huge great snails, the size of walnuts in their shells. I'll even help you find the blasted things.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE