Unicom Powerbeam Teardown

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Seldom found in stores or reviewed elsewhere the Unicom Powerbeam has slipped under many peoples radar and I think that's a shame. Now I grant you it's a plastic work-light, there is nothing tactical or cool about it and no it is not bright enough to burn paper up close or a rabbits retinas at fifty meters. The only way to make it even close to water resistant involves duct tape, to big for coat pocket and a PITA to find space for inside a pack. But it does have a USB power out socket on the rear and it has a dynamo charger built in.

Sure it's only got a 1000mAH battery, barely enough to half charge my phone but with it I can turn a Vesta curry into volts and keep on going. One minute of cranking gives about thirty minutes of light or enough juice to send that important all-is-well text message to swmbo. Recharging Vape systems and running fan assisted wood stoves is also possible. I've had mine three years now, the gearbox still feels smooth & tight. No forest crud or moisture has got in through the crankshaft and no discernible fading of battery capacity so far. Throws a respectable beam of light, not focusable or intense like a modern Cree torch but enough for most needs illuminating camp or wandering through the forest at night.

Cheaper than a bag of fish & chips and good source of bits for a DIY low power renewable energy project such as small wind turbine or micro-hydro setup. Something to mess around with and see where it takes you.

Prices vary I have seen them as low £7 and as high as £25.
pb000.jpgpb001.jpgpb004.jpg
Weight 375g, tad heavy for solo short hikes but for a group it could work well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE