Ultimate vehicle for your ultimate adventure?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
If you could have any vehicle to go anywhere you wanted what would it be and where?

I think i'd love a good offroad vehicle with an offroad adventure trailer and just have a trip that's relaxed while seeing amazing places. Saying that, I've relations in the States that have a little teardrop trailer and a normal car and they get to some amazing places...

So, how about you?

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
For Scotland

XTI-ARGOCAT-002.jpg

For Scandinavia in the Winter

For UK Summer Road trips an 'old' (not the 'new' 'orrible looking Chelsea Tractor)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
If money were no object then I'd opt for a nicely sorted Discovery 3 or 4 with raised air intake, expedition roof rack etc etc. I had a D3 for a few years and it was pretty much unstoppable, even on wide road biased tyres.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you could have any vehicle to go anywhere you wanted what would it be and where?

I think i'd love a good offroad vehicle with an offroad adventure trailer and just have a trip that's relaxed while seeing amazing places. Saying that, I've relations in the States that have a little teardrop trailer and a normal car and they get to some amazing places...

So, how about you?

The only vehicle I would consider instead of my 110 would be a G-Wagon but they're just too expensive. I've done a fair bit of trekking in 110s and love the load space and go-anywhere capability (yes, I know others can do it as well, but I like the 110). In deserts, dried up river beds and over rocky mountain passes a trailer is a pain and a liability in my opinion so you end up doing treks that you could do in a normal car - with a vehicle with a decent load capacity a trailer isn't really necessary.

I recommend the guru Tom Shepherd's books - "Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide" and "Quiet for a Tuesday" where he discusses at length the pro's and con's of various vehicles. Tom went from Land Rover to G-Wagon; I'll leave him to explain why :)

Reactions: MrEd and Nomad64

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You can buy a used ex German Army G-wagon now in UK.
I did. Two.....
Excellent value for the money.. Mine even had the stand between the seats for your assaultgun!

We also have now a restored 90 TD5 and a BNIB 2013 110 2.2 Td.

The G wagons are superior in any way. Superior!

Still love Defenders though!

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
C72854F4-052D-40DB-9976-AACE7262C0E8.jpeg I would take my old and faithful mount pictured above. She is wearing her Berlin Infantry Brigade urban camo in this picture. I had the pleasure of driving and living on her for two and a half years back in the early to mid eighties. Wipes away tear.

Reactions: Nice65

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've just sold my defender 90 and replaced it with a T25 Syncro that we're building into an expedition camper.

I was seriously considering that but I find myself using low range too much on some of our adventures to take the risk. I've even looked at the 4x4 Iveco van to convert - again, it's 4x4 & off road capability is too restricted for my use.

Reactions: Bazzworx

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I was seriously considering that but I find myself using low range too much on some of our adventures to take the risk. I've even looked at the 4x4 Iveco van to convert - again, it's 4x4 & off road capability is too restricted for my use.

The Syncro has one low range gear but because of that you don't have a fifth gear which means the top end suffers a bit. Cruising speed is about 65 MPH at just over 3000 RPM. What I do like though is the front and rear difflocks as standard and a centre decoupler (aftermarket but replaces the viscous coupling)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
The only vehicle I would consider instead of my 110 would be a G-Wagon but they're just too expensive. I've done a fair bit of trekking in 110s and love the load space and go-anywhere capability (yes, I know others can do it as well, but I like the 110). In deserts, dried up river beds and over rocky mountain passes a trailer is a pain and a liability in my opinion so you end up doing treks that you could do in a normal car - with a vehicle with a decent load capacity a trailer isn't really necessary.

I recommend the guru Tom Shepherd's books - "Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide" and "Quiet for a Tuesday" where he discusses at length the pro's and con's of various vehicles. Tom went from Land Rover to G-Wagon; I'll leave him to explain why :)

I’d add a 70 Series Land Cruiser (and maybe a Pinzgauer - but have no first hand experience of them) to that list but in reality any well sorted pre-electronic era European or Japanese 4x4 will take you most places you could want to go - even those that the locals get to in their battered Hiaces and ancient Mercs and Peugeots.

Simple, lightweight cars like Renault 4s, Citroen 2CVs and Fiat Pandas are surprisingly good on the desert pistes and these guys had some pretty cool adventures in an old Type 2 VW.

http://www.vwvagabonds.com/

I was half seriously thinking of taking my 1978 VW Westfalia Campervan to Africa before selling it and buying a 300 Tdi 110 instead.

I love the idea of a VW Synchro but having met a very frustrated Austrian lad stranded in Nairobi unable to source (even from Europe) some basic parts to get him back on the road and having a mate here experiencing similar problems, I would be wary of taking one somewhere too remote.

Sadly too many people get hung up, not just on vehicle choice but on the kit undreamt of in the golden era of independent vehicle exploration in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. It really annoys me that the sharks that run 4x4 expedition preparation companies who have stalls at Land Rover and Expedition Shows try to convince people that they cannot go on a two week tag along trip to Spain or Morocco without spending £1000s on nice to have but certainly not essential modifications and kit. A spirit of adventure is IMHO more important than vehicle choice or kit.

Tom Shepherd may be the guru but Gunther Holtorf who has been roaming the globe in his ancient G Wagen for decades now is my idol and the poster boy for the get a decent vehicle some basic kit and then JFDI!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-29505145/gunther-holtorf-shows-off-otto-his-mercedes-g-wagen

IIRC, Tom Shepherd fell out with LR when they ignored his suggestion that Defenders should have front and rear difflocks (an excellent idea) rather than electronic traction control. He bought a modern G Wagen and them Mercedes had to fly technicians out to the Sahara to fix an electrical problem that had left him stranded!

Last edited:
Reactions: CLEM

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've just sold my defender 90 and replaced it with a T25 Syncro that we're building into an expedition camper.

They’re good are they, the T25s? I was looking at a Mitsubishi Delica having had a very capable Toyata Townace a few years ago. I haven’t done much research yet, but I do know it’s unlikely to be a G Wagon. I passed one sat on a forecourt in Salisbury priced at about £129,000. Second hand too.

In honesty, most of my miles are on road. 6 hrs to The Lakes in a 90 or 110 isn’t happening. I can’t stand the looks of the modern SUVs and 4x4s though.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
They’re good are they, the T25s? I was looking at a Mitsubishi Delica having had a very capable Toyata Townace a few years ago. I haven’t done much research yet, but I do know it’s unlikely to be a G Wagon. I passed one sat on a forecourt in Salisbury priced at about £129,000. Second hand too.

In honesty, most of my miles are on road. 6 hrs to The Lakes in a 90 or 110 isn’t happening. I can’t stand the looks of the modern SUVs and 4x4s though.

The Syncros are good but have limitations like all vehicles, for what we want it for it suits us perfectly. I had a T25 2WD that we used for various camping trips and a Defender 90 which we used to tow our hot air balloon and do a bit off off road driving and wild camping. The Syncro can do all the above so we've got one less vehicle to tax, MOT, insure and maintain now. Only issue was that the Syncro cost about three times as much as the Defender to buy.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I love the idea of a VW Synchro but having met a very frustrated Austrian lad stranded in Nairobi unable to source (even from Europe) some basic parts to get him back on the road and having a mate here experiencing similar problems, I would be wary of taking one somewhere too remote.

I'd be interested to know what parts people have had trouble finding. I'm in an owners club and don't hear of people having such issues.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sahara has been crossed by the most unlikely vehicles. Like a Tatra 87.
It is more about the driver's skill that having a super capable car.

I personally would love a Bugatti 35B and take it on an international long range rally.

Would love it to finish, even as I would be last.....

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I'd be interested to know what parts people have had trouble finding. I'm in an owners club and don't hear of people having such issues.

The one in Nairobi needed a transmission part which was apparently unobtainable new - ironic as the driver was from Austria and IIRC the 4x4 system is made by Steyr Puch in Austria. It was a while ago and things may have improved.

My mate was looking for a fuel pipe for a petrol Synchro which would be a few £ on a normal T25 but he is going to have to have one custom made.

I do miss my old Kombi.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The only things I'd change if I could afford the fuel costs would be to squeeze the largest V8 beneath the bonnet and address the door locking temprature influenced issue Land-Rover refuse to accept exists

K
1FeIhpz.jpg

Reactions: Nice65

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The only things I'd change if I could afford the fuel costs would be to squeeze the largest V8 beneath the bonnet and address the door locking temprature influenced issue Land-Rover refuse to accept exists

K

Really? I've had no issues from the Namib desert to well into the Arctic!
For me V8's are too thirsty for long desert treks; I've never failed to complete a trek for lack of power or torque :)
Each to their own though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE