UKhammocks top quilt and other problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Very frustrating experience having ordered an underblanket and top quilt in the April sale.

They took the usual and expected six weeks or so to be made and to arrive, although there were some statements that they might be early at around four weeks, but these proved to be optimistic.

The underblanket looked okay, some of the sewing was a little disappointing, and a cord lock difficult to extract from the channel where it had accidentally been sewn in, but nothing drastic.

The top quilt again was a little disappointing on some of the sewing which looked a bit rough, but a major problem for me was that the quilt just wasn't long enough and wouldn't come up even above shoulder height, let alone up to under my chin and no way would the neck baffle fasten up due to it not being at neck level but around my shoulders !

The website states the quilts as being 2m length, but measuring mine it seemed more like 1.83m usable length, but then the end footbox is a simple gathered arrangement rather than a seperate sewn in panel. What this means is that a lot of the 1.83m length is lost when using the quilt due to it going up and over the length of your feet, and pulling the neck end of the quilt down around below shoulder level.

On querying this with the supplier it seemed that the quilts were made from 2m long panels but these would shorten in effective length when sewn and stuffed. Why the website doesn't state that and misleads into thinking they are 2m finished size I don't know, and frustrating to have waited so long for delivery to find out and to have ended up with something I couldn't actually use after all that time.

Having discussed it with them I parcelled it back up and posted it back to be replaced by a new customised one a few inches longer. This took several more weeks to arrive, some more misinformation on timings and despatch along the way, but eventually turned up. Couldn't believe it when I tried it for size and had the same problem again ! Got the tape measure out and it was the same size as the original, maybe even a centimetre or two shorter.

A closer look at the replacement also showed some very poor areas of sewing, unacceptable quality, and a sizeable flaw or snag in the material, all of which would have meant it being returned anyway, even if still not the right size.

I was told that the seamstress confirmed she had made it from over-sized panels and it should be considerably bigger than before. All I can think is that my longer one may have been shipped to someone else by mistake, but who knows. Having spent a long and frustrating time on this I had lost confidence in the product, the quality, the customer service etc and asked for a refund and for the faulty quilty to be collected by courier.

In fairness there were no arguments from the supplier who agreed to arrange collection but wouldn't refund until they received it back. Several collection attempts didn't happen, probably yodels fault rather than the supplier, but why use a rubbish firm like yodel in the first place, and after a couple of weeks of more frustrating and wasted time I posted it off myself at cost of a further tenner.

The refund duly arrived, although four quid short on the postage, which I'm told should be refunded shortly. Requests for comments or feedback on the quality issues and length have so far not resulted in anything, although I understand Mat, the owner, was overseas for a while and then currently instructing on a course somewhere so probably hasn't been able to have a look at it himself.

I thought long and hard about posting up a poor review on the whole experience, having heard of a lot of satisfied folk in the past, and wanting UKhammocks to be successful as it is after all a local UK supplier in a small niche market where we aren't spoilt for choice. On the other hand I heard of a number of dissatisfied customers more recently, with stories of ridiculous delays, poor communications and some quality issues, but I was optimistic and hoped they were just odd and isolated instances and placed the order anyway. I don't know if anything has changed in the business in the last year or two to affect their previous good reputation, but based on my own recent experiences I sadly couldn't recommend them at all,

Some pics below of the material flaw and some of the sewing issues, of which there were many more.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That must have been profoundly annoying. Although difficult to post a negative review, it seems that, from your patience and dissatisfaction, you were totally justified in making these observations; the photos of the poor sewing only add to your argument. I hope you managed to source another, better-made and more reliably supplied alternative.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Well, the UKH fiasco continues, still not received the refund of the postage, many days, promises and reminders later, it's only four quid but it's a matter of principle now.

Honestly, they seem to be a complete and utter shambles, sorry, but it has to be said, unbelievably poor in every single aspect of dealing with them and repeatedly so over the entire sorry saga :(

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Shocking service mate, i'd of lost the plot.

They not cheap them down quilts, i was lucky when i spotting one for sale on ebay uk, a USA made Jacks R Better down quilt.

I've left a review about it on their website, Sierra Sniveller long version.

If you can pick one up over here to save on customs & shipping. I'd whole heartedly recommend them.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks mate. There's a chap on ebay and hammockforum, Scotty Templar (Scotty von Porkchop on the forum !) who makes custom gear and is putting together a top notch piece of kit for me, a bit more expensive than the UKH one but hopefully he can at least get the measurements right and sew properly too ! :D

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
You won't be disapointed with scotty's stuff mate, he's doing me a 3/4 UQ now....that will be the fifth piece of hammock gear i'v had from him

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Thanks mate. There's a chap on ebay and hammockforum, Scotty Templar (Scotty von Porkchop on the forum !) who makes custom gear and is putting together a top notch piece of kit for me, a bit more expensive than the UKH one but hopefully he can at least get the measurements right and sew properly too ! :D

Great news mate, yes i've seen some of his gear for sale on ebay, very nice :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
when Mat made everything himself...

I'd guess its the same with my stuff from them. Woodsman x, 2 EDC hammocks, and an under quilt...very good workmanship on everything
Hope this is a tempory glitch and mat gets himself sorted, he was a great bloke to deal with for me too

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I suspect you guys are right, that when he used to do the work himself the quality control wasn't a problem. Sounds like he now uses one or more seamstresses and they or somebody else run the admin also, while Mat spends a lot of time on expeditions, courses and the like, so he's not on top of it like perhaps he was ?

It could still work, if the team was up to it, but sadly they don't seem to be and the UKH reputation risks being badly affected.

It's not like you are spending just a few quid after all, my top quilt and underblanket were several hundred pounds worth, and there was months of waiting involved, so it's a big deal for most people if it screws up repeatedly and the support and back up are rubbish too.

Anyway, I was just going to update that the postage refund came through late yesterday so that's sorted now too and draws a line under it for me thankfully !

Cheers, Paul

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
My set was one of the early ones and has been a very good investment, getting used every month throughout the year. The top duvet is long enough to go over my head & is ideal for sleeping under on long plane flights.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
We had an epic wait for a woodsman x, why he does not have any in stock is beyond me. First one was lost in transit. Build quality has dropped a lot since I got mine. Will not be ordering or recommending anymore.

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester
well this is a depressing read. i have a woodsman x on order because i read all the good reviews.

really worried about the quality now.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
well this is a depressing read. i have a woodsman x on order because i read all the good reviews.

Stay positive, feedback works in mysterious ways , (much) sooner than later , the top man there will realise what's going on and he will do his best to correct it... all their equipment will be top notch again, and this will be remembered as growing pains, or a "phase"?

It takes a lifetime to build good reputation and just a moment to ruin it.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I hope so Leshy, I really do, but I'm not encouraged that having asked a couple of times for thoughts on the sizing, stitching quality and material flaws, I've had none, no acknowledgement that I had asked or any feedback at all.

Doesn't matter I suppose, just doesn't make me feel like a valued customer, or that they even care about their customers or the stuff they're making.

Hope it goes well for you Artschool, you might be alright, there have been a number of issues being reported of late, but the impression I have is still that most of the time things go okay, which is why I ordered from them despite knowing of some growing rep issues, hope I was just unlucky and that you fare better !

Woodywoodpacker

Jul 21, 2015
Hartlepool
I got my hammock underquilt and woodsman x 6 months ago now and I have to say that the quality and workmanship were spot on. The woodsman x is so comfortable and the integrated bug net with the ability to fold it away is brilliant. My stuff arrived within the month waiting time. It's a pleasure to use. Hope you get your stuff sorted though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

I've got a couple ordered too. Fingers crossed. No answer to my email enquiry as of two weeks ago.

Sparky750

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Merseyside
Reading this has just made me hold off on my order for a woodsman x along with top and underquilt, I may take a punt on the woodsman but certainly not on the quilts at those prices if these issues are becoming more common.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE