Trying out any new cooking gear this year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
just wondering if anyone has any new cooking gear they have or are planning to try out?

I've got a new firepit and grill which I've been planning on putting to use but will probably end up getting christened at the moot. I've also been looking at Aquaforno II which is on indegogo, but I can't justify it, I love the idea of getting everyone out regularly but busy lives means it done'st happen often enough to justify the cost....

y06lyulsf1voh1z6qc9o.jpg

So, anyone else got anything cool to try out?

Reactions: bopdude

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I bought a Kitchen-Aid cast iron griddle. Over all, about 12" x 21".
It's 13 pounds in weight and the actual cooking surface is 9" x 18".
Not something to hump through the woods with ease.

The surface has a very sandy texture.
Will that be really food-sticky for things like eggs and pancakes?
Might I be better off to give the cooking surface a grind for much more smooth, then season?

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Been looking at the aquaforno for years, when they announced the mark 2 I put my name down, got a nice bonus discount on top of the already discounted indiegogo price so couldn't resist. I doubt it'll get the use it deserves but I just don't care, itch has been scratched :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
not strictly cooking gear, though I do normally cook my tea and use it to make a brew, so I guess it counts. I'm going to be bringing a new portable forge with me. I haven't made it yet, so I guess I should get onto that! :D The firebrick and clay affair that I've had for the last 7 years (maybe) is looking quite worn and I've been wanting to make a lighter version for ages.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not trying out new kit per se, but I will do a little bit of experimentation with fuels.
I will try to cook on sea weed fire, plus try to render some whale blubber into oil and see how that works to use as fuel.

( blubber is a byproduct they do not use but dump. All legal.)

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
I think that piece of kit looks awesome!

I wish they made it larger and out of stainless steel.
Would be fantastic to have in the garden. I can not see many people carrying it around in Nature.

Comes in black or stainless, stands a meter high, how big do you want?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The width or surface area, I need to be able to grill for 4-5 people in one go. Think 5 large T-bone steaks and veg.

I missed it also comes in stainless. Stainless is a must, Carbon steel does not last for me more than maybe three years if thick!

It is a fantastic design, I have never seen a better one!

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Playing with my honey stove at lunchtime. Discovered I need to move the grate up one maybe two notches when using a small (7 small) handful of charcoal brickettes from pound land. Used pocket stove and speedster burner to heat moka pot. That worked well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE