Trapping Hypothetical Puzzle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The actual design of primitive traps does interest me and I've studied it a bit but I don't tend to practice it too much due to ethical reasons and animal welfare - I don't really need to catch an animal to survive day-to-day but as I've said the evolution , design and innovation of trap design holds my interest.

So as a hypothetical design question I'd like to pose the following to you ( just for fun! ) to see if you can figure out how to do it and post back the answer in white-on-white font so not to spoil the design challenge for anyone else.

White on white font would look like this > Like This!!!!!

So the design challenge is can you design a trap that when tripped via tripwire , traps the 'prey' , then lifts them up into the air , and then after a small period of time slowly returns them to the ground?.

I'm not going to specify the equipment you are allowed but the its nothing too fancy.

Anyone fancy it as a mental exercise?

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I can't even figure out what white-on-white font is. It takes me all my time to pot pictures and I haven't managed to put a pic up against my username so this could be out of my league:)

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Just a quick question; Why would you want the trap to pull the game up and the return it to the ground? I´m no trapper so I´m just curious if there is a logical reason for it :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just a quick question; Why would you want the trap to pull the game up and the return it to the ground? I´m no trapper so I´m just curious if there is a logical reason for it :)

No reason for trapping.

Think more of a design challenge - build a better mousetrap and all.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Fair comment - when you go to post a comment look at the tab above the box you've opened.

In it you will see your standard BOLD/ITALIC/UNDERLINE features etc.

Click on the A to the left of the Smiley face and select the WHITE font colour. Hope that helps.

You'll then find you can post text which is invisible to a reader until the scroll back over it.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Ok - here's one possible solution, I can't build it at the moment but I think the principle is sound.

White text from here:

You will require a figure 4 sapling trap
A bucket full of water with a small hole in the bottom, plugged and with a length of a porous cloth to allow it to drip when unplugged.
A smaller vessel capable of holding enough water to re-bend the sapling and return the prey animal to ground.

The action of the figure 4 sapling trap initially lifts the prey animal and also unplugs the hole in the bottom of the raised bucket. The length of porous cloth is attached to the smaller vessel so water leaking from the bucket ends up in the smaller vessel by gravity and capillary action making it gradually heavier over time. The smaller vessel is attached to the sapling so as the vessel becomes heavier it slowly bends the sapling returning the prey to ground.

How does that grab you?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Counterbalanced beam lifts a net. The counterbalance weight is a water-filled bucket or container rigidly fixed to the beam; as the beam tilts lifting the net, the container tilts, spilling the water, returning the net to the ground.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
White on white is pretty straight forward Janne... in the reply box there is a capital letter A with a tiny arrow next to it. Click it and choose the white box in the bottom right (if you highlight the next bit that looks like a lot of spaces you'll see what I've written in white --->) then everything you type will be in white. Click the capital letter A again and choose the black box in the top right and you're back to normal.

Typing blind is a bit of a pain though, so another way to achieve the same is to type some text --->
some text then highlight it with the mouse by clicking and dragging, then choose the cap A and choose the white box.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE