Trail camera recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hi, I'm looking for trail camera recommendations please. My needs are motion activated, night capable, good quality camera and reliable?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Price you want to spend??? Thats quite high on the order of how the other questions gets answered.

I got a £70 one from Lidl - does the job - clearly not the best but you can afford 4 of those to one of the high gen models if you want. Not saying thats the best policy however.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
No experience of other brands, so nothing to compare it with but I have had a Crenova one since last Xmas (thank you Mrs N :)) which I have been using to keep an eye on what might be taking an interest in my fowls and checking on other local wildlife particularly at night.

IIRC it was around £70 from the usual tax-shy South American River supplier. Some of the cheaper cameras use white LEDs for night time illumination which obviously alerts wildlife etc to its presence but this one uses "black" LEDs which emit only a very faint reddish glow when triggered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crenova-Hunting-Scouting-Infrared-Detection-Black-LEDs/dp/B0722VQ1ZZ/ref=sr_1_4?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1507470278&sr=1-4&keywords=crenova

Camera quality from a cheap fixed focus lens is never going to match a DSLR with decent optics but I'm happy enough with the footage of hedgehogs, hares etc. feeding at night and pleasantly surprised that nothing more threatening than mice have been hanging around the hen house after dark.

Really regret not having one when living in the bush in Africa! :yikes:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i have had a bushnell for about 4 years now (can't remember the model, but it was a mid range one). Probably been superseded now, but the motion and night settings were superb, so i'm sure they've improved a lot since then. I've had some great footage of pine martins, red squirrels, otters and a myriad of other critters.
Have a look on some hunting and tracking forums as there are quite alot of reviews on them.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Got mine from Aldi some time ago
£70 odd but it's a light gathering motion cam. Check out my trail cam videos on YouTube under Ingo Sundowner. I'm quite pleased with the results
[video=youtube_share;cOswQNVsvQs]https://youtu.be/cOswQNVsvQs[/video]

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Thanks for the help guys, in the end I went for one I could get quick as the site is due to have some construction work nearby and is likely to be disturbed. I got a Victure HC400 which seemed to be a clone of all the other ones. It had good reviews but I ordered it last night and it's strapped to a post for the night. Fingers crossed.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
i have had a bushnell for about 4 years now (can't remember the model, but it was a mid range one). Probably been superseded now, but the motion and night settings were superb, so i'm sure they've improved a lot since then. I've had some great footage of pine martins, red squirrels, otters and a myriad of other critters.
Have a look on some hunting and tracking forums as there are quite alot of reviews on them.

Have you had any problems with yours? I got a similar midrange Bushnell model in 2012 and it's starting to show some glitches now which can be very annoying when you've left it for a few weeks somewhere and it decides not to work. I've had loads of use out of it so I'll probably replace it but I don't know if I'll go for Bushnell again or not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE