Tracking books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Based on a recommendation I saw in a thread on the forum, I got a copy of Animal Tracks and Signs from the local library. Turns out it wasn't quite what I was hoping for in a animal tracks book. I'm wondering if the hive mind of BCUK can help.

As a kid I had a couple of simple books (probably ladybird or penguin), that were simple books with a page or so per animal, with a drawing of the footprints, drawing of the scat, and any other signs, plus a drawing of the animal. They were simple books, I think I had one for mammals and one for birds. But it made it really simple if you were next to a footprint, to flick through and go "aha, roe deer".

The books I had are long gone. Can anyone recommend any books like those described, that allow me to easily identify what the track is that I've already found?

Thanks

Julia

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Brown, Lawrence, Pope ANIMALS, TRACKS, TRAILS & SIGNS Hamlyn ISBN 0 600 57444 x Excellent but probably out of print
Bob Carss THE COMPLET GUIDE TO TRACKING I have this on Kindle but I'm pretty sure there is a conventional book edition
Tristan Gooley THE WALKER'S GUIDE TO OUTDOOR CLUES AND SIGNS Hodder and Stoughton 2014 ISBN 978 1 444 78011 6 (and Kindle)
Arlott Fitter and Fitter THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO BRITISH WILDLIFE Collins ISBN 0 00 219212 8 This has a useful section on tracks and signs. This book is an ideal pocket field guide when out and about : highly recommended for your purpose.

I used to have a very small waterproof notebook style guide which is probably what you used to have. This was amateur produced, and sadly untraceable. I'll be following your thread with interest to see if anyone comes up with a modern version.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
I've just found the little book referred to above.
It's called "Wildlife Tracks" by Gerry Yewlett published by Jogger ,Park Lane Finchhampstead on 19th January 1974. It has all the hallmarks of a private publishing venture. I also have a similar book by Gerry Yewlett called PARENTS GUIDE TO POISONOUS PLANTS published in 1976 This one has the adress JOGGER 20 Califonia Park, Nine Mile Ride, Finchampstead Wokingham, Berks RG11 4PY. both boklets were printed by Fericon Press Limited Reading.

The format suggests to me that other, similar books may have been produced. They are excellent little shirt pocket quick reference guides and deserve to be popoular. I wonder if Gerry Yewlett is still with us? I guess he'd have a ready set of fans here.

The Wildlife Tracks book has a dedication as follows: For young "Jon-Jon" Harrison, with the wish that he should walk the woods with as much pleasure as his father John, Jock Carver and myself. Obviously one of us! Anyone know Jon-Jon?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"A Field Guide to Animal Tracks" by Olaus Murie. Peterson Field Guide Series. 2nd Ed. 1975. ISBN 0-395-19978-6
Certainly circumpolar for the Northern Hemisphere. Insects, earthworms, birds to Moose, mice and Kangaroo rats.
But at 375 pages in a 4.5 x 7.25 x 1" format, it is a lump to carry.

bearbait

Whilst not a pictorial guide to which critter leaves which sign you might find Louis Liebenberg's book The Art of Tracking The Origin of Science of interest. Whilst not a light read it discusses the possible evolution of Man and, IIRC, he posits that the need to collaborate and communicate during tracking and hunting helped trigger, or enhance, the development of speech in us lot. Free download.

I've not looked at his new book available on that page yet.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Arlott Fitter and Fitter THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO BRITISH WILDLIFE Collins ISBN 0 00 219212 8 This has a useful section on tracks and signs. This book is an ideal pocket field guide when out and about : highly recommended for your purpose.

I have this book already, unless some pages have fallen out of my copy, it has no tracks in there, just a single picture of each animal (occassionally 2-3 pictures).

Thanks everyone for your replies, will have a look at the various books.

Julia

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
I have this book already, unless some pages have fallen out of my copy, it has no tracks in there, just a single picture of each animal (occassionally 2-3 pictures).

Thanks everyone for your replies, will have a look at the various books.

Julia

In my edition, pps 145 to 149 has a section on mammal tracks. My book is the 1986 reprint of the 1981 edition. I thinh it has been re-issued since in a smaller format.

bearbait

I've scanned the pages from the British Wildlife book (1981 edition) that oldtimer mentioned.

They're at full scan resolution and I've not done any manipulation so you can tweak to your heart's content in your image editing software. I also scanned a ruler with them so you can visually scale the images correctly regardless of how you print them out. Or carry them on your phone. Depending on your browser something like right click on the image and Save Image As should do it. There are three images.

Enjoy...

Page 145
Tracks_P145.jpg

Pages 146 and 147
Tracks_P146.jpg

Pages 148 and 149
Tracks_P148.jpg

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005

This arrived this morning. It was a slightly larger format than I was expecting, but otherwise it seems to be a very useful and handy basic guide. My 10 year-old grandson spotted it and eagerly seized on it. I fobbed him off with a photo copy, but I just know I'll be ordering another copy of his own.

Paul Kirtley has just issued a video on tracking in his blog. i haven't seen it yet as Grandson was eager to get out and do the real thing rather than watch a video (hooray!) but it looks as if it will be as interesting as Paul's stuff usually is.

PS Well done Bearbait. That is a useful thing to have done.

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
I've just found the little book referred to above.
It's called "Wildlife Tracks" by Gerry Yewlett published by Jogger ,Park Lane Finchhampstead on 19th January 1974. It has all the hallmarks of a private publishing venture. I also have a similar book by Gerry Yewlett called PARENTS GUIDE TO POISONOUS PLANTS published in 1976 This one has the adress JOGGER 20 Califonia Park, Nine Mile Ride, Finchampstead Wokingham, Berks RG11 4PY. both boklets were printed by Fericon Press Limited Reading.

The format suggests to me that other, similar books may have been produced. They are excellent little shirt pocket quick reference guides and deserve to be popoular. I wonder if Gerry Yewlett is still with us? I guess he'd have a ready set of fans here.

The Wildlife Tracks book has a dedication as follows: For young "Jon-Jon" Harrison, with the wish that he should walk the woods with as much pleasure as his father John, Jock Carver and myself. Obviously one of us! Anyone know Jon-Jon?
Hi, I've been collecting the Gerry Yewlett Pocket books over the years since my mum bought be the Trees and Timber one when I was about 8 years old. We got it from the Girl Guide shop in Leeds and I still have it 47 years later!

But can't find a copy of the Parents Guide to Poisonous Plants.. which would be really nice to have as I'm a Forest School Practitioner and it's always a hot topic.

I wondered if you could post a photo of it please so that I know what I'm looking for as I can't even find a picture of it online.

I have Trees and timber, Tracks and trails, Seafish, Seafood Harvest, Wild Herbs for Health and Happiness, Tracks and Trails of the Woodland, Recording Seafish.

The ones that I think exist but that I don't have are the Parents Guide to Poisonous plants, Finding the Fox, Finding the Otter, Finding the Badger and possibly one called Practical Boatman.

My eldest son now 22 tried to 'borrow' these little books a few weeks ago because they are apparently cool (I have retrieved them) but it made me more determined to find the rest if I can.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Send me a pm with your address and I'll drop them in the post to you. So much better that they are used than sitting on my bookshelves.
Our sons are now in their 50s and the grandchildren soon off to university.
It occurred to me that a copy of my Primitive Pottery article may be of use to in you Forest School work. Let me know your email address if you'd like one and I'll send you a copy you can download (free).

Last edited:

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
Send me a pm with your address and I'll drop them in the post to you. So much better that they are used than sitting on my bookshelves.
Our sons are now in their 50s and the grandchildren soon off to university.
It occurred to me that a copy of my Primitive Pottery article may be of use to in you Forest School work. Let me know your email address if you'd like one and I'll send you a copy you can download (free).
Hi I'm so sorry I haven't been in touch sooner I've been working away and couldn't get online. I would love the books if you can spare them... I was just hoping for a photo!
The primitive pottery article also sounds very interesting. I will message you. xxx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE