Trip Report Tour of Scotland (WIP)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

As some of you might know from my other thread, I have been planning an expedition to Scotland for some time. Due to not having a clear aim for what I want to get out of the trip, and constantly changing circumstances, it did not end up being a self-supported walking journey but rather a car-supported wildcamping tour of the natural sites of Scotland. Not the most 'bushcraftey' of trips but as a first solo wildcamping expedition, I got a ton of experiences and memories out of it.

I am currently busily editing my trip videos using the pictures and video clips that I took before and during my time in Scotland and have included the first two (kit and food) videos below. I will continue to add videos to this thread as I finish and release them. Any and all advice that you can throw my way would, as always, be gratefully appreciated.

Equipment
As one astute commenter has already pointed out, my rucksack ended up being far too heavy so I am looking to radically reduce my kit weight starting with getting my tarp and sleeping bag weights down and eliminating all the little items that I didn't use. Here is what I took along:

Food
I was quite happy overall with the food but will be looking at different ways to carry the fats and eggs that aren't bulky and prone to leakage.

More to come as soon as I can get them edited.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'll look forward to the trip videos.

I bet you've learned a lot about what you've carried and what you need / can do with out!
It has been a while since I did any trips out - too many other commitments at the moment. I used to try and go as light as possible, which means that now I'm light enough I can carry some of my kids stuff when we go out.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Just watched Day 2 - I've fancied doing Ben Nevis for a while now, just not got round to it yet - maybe this summer!

Well done for sticking it out and getting to the top, pushing through adversity to finish makes you stronger in the future. I remember when younger getting fed up on walks and being ready to quit but something kept me going [usually there being no immediate escape route i.e. having to wait for half a day for a bus to come along a quite country road or keep walking - or even having to walk for half a day to get to a quite country road in the first place:) ) so now when I'm tired, wet and hungry I can draw on past experiences and and realise things are not quite that bad really and keep going.

Just watched Day 2 - I've fancied doing Ben Nevis for a while now, just not got round to it yet - maybe this summer!

Well done for sticking it out and getting to the top, pushing through adversity to finish makes you stronger in the future. I remember when younger getting fed up on walks and being ready to quit but something kept me going [usually there being no immediate escape route i.e. having to wait for half a day for a bus to come along a quite country road or keep walking - or even having to walk for half a day to get to a quite country road in the first place:) ) so now when I'm tired, wet and hungry I can draw on past experiences and and realise things are not quite that bad really and keep going.

Thanks, I'm sure it will.

I came across a great mentality expressed by one of the guests of the Paul Kirtley Podcast a while back, where basically he accomplished all sorts of extended expeditions by only allowing himself to make the decision to quit when he was warm, well fed and rested. So far, I am trying to live according to that rule, as when you've had a bad day you can sometimes make really rash decisions that block you from valuable experiences.

Reactions: fhaggis
Got the final episode up (finally):

I am currently in the process of reevaluating my kit lists and trying to throw together a proper bushcraft setup to force me to develop
my skills and reduce reliance on gear. I've also made the decision to keep the momentum going and learn something new and travel
somewhere interesting at least once every month.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE