To move to Warwickshire? Leaving woods behind?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The company I work for is going to be relocating from Hertfordshire to Solihul, right next to the M42. They are trying to persuade the staff to relocate too. I have been looking at a map and Google plotting places I can afford within 30 minutes (call it 20 miles) of J4.

Anyone here live anywhere in this area? (east of Birmingham, south of Coventry, north of Stratford, :D)

Something that it seems certain that I will miss, if I move, is easy access to nice countryside and woods for walks. For the last 18 years I have lived within 20 minutes drive of various Chiltern beech woods and enjoy popping out for a bimble when the mood takes me. A friend who used to live in Aylesbury and who then moved to Northampton says that is something he has really missed. No woods and not many places to walk and get away from the crowds. It is the same up in Leicestershire where my folks live, just that their area is more rural than anywhere near Solihul.

Am I being pessimistic? Are there opportunities up there for outdoor adventures that I am not seeing?

Cheers

Chris

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I grew up in the midlands and couldn’t wait to leave as a teen. When I joined up my first posting was to the north of Scotland and since then I’ve always got jobs that are in nice scenic areas. I’m not being disrespectful to those that live there but for me it would probably be one of the last places in the UK I would like to live now. I think you’re in a very difficult situation but ultimately unless you’re willing to change jobs you might have to accept that you will need to move or commute somehow. I’m on the road a fair bit now and it’s seems everyday there is bad traffic on the motorways in that region. You will be quite central for getting places (I used to get to N.Wales in a couple of hours) if that’s any conciliation.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
No idea what you do job wise but maybe a career change rather than move, if the move isn't avoidable job wise then you're looking at being stuck in the middle of some of the worst motorway black-spots, M40 M42 and M6 to name but 3, even on a good day it's a 2 hour drive each way if you choose to stay where you are, tough call and I wish you luck.

Reactions: Nomad64

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I work for an aerospace engineering company. Some of the chaps I work with are looking at keeping their families down in Herts / Beds and doing a combination of weekly commuting/boarding and working from home. I am better and worse off. I have no wife or kids to worry about up-rooting, but I don't have anyone who will keep the home fire burning while I am away for the week. So its a choice between moving my home, or changing job/career.

Current commute is 35 to 55 minutes down a fairly busy B-Road. Last location was a blissful 16 minute car ride to work down little country roads with almost no traffic. I doubt that I will have it so good ever again.

The job I have had has been pretty good so far, it has had ups and downs, but has generally been interesting, has paid fairly well, has had decent benefits and I have had understanding bosses. Some of those things will continue after the site move, but others...??? impossible to know. The company business model is changing, and the senior leadership. Goes without saying that a lot of the old team will not be making the move.

We are all being asked to make our decisions over the next few weeks, but the actual site closure will not happen until the tail end of 2019 or even start of 2020. To meet the terms of the redundancy offers, if we are going to leave, we have to work with the company until such time as they have a replacement for us who is up to speed. Makes good sense for them, but means that no one can really look for other work until late next year. Six months after Brexit's exit date.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Quality of life is important IMHO!
Tell them you're staying then immediately start looking for a job with a step up. If you stay with them you won't get the redundancy so you're no worse off and you'll probably find you can get an improved salary. You're not in a rush so you can be picky; rather a nice position to be in :)
You could even go a step further and decide where in the country you'd really like to live and apply for jobs there!

Reactions: Nomad64

markinsol

Sep 2, 2018
Solihull
I live a mile from the business park I presume you are talking about Blyth Valley.
Does make me laugh some of the comments of people who clearly have no idea of what they are talking about.
Within the last two years Solihull was voted the best place to live in the UK by the Times I believe.
There is in fact a wide life conversation Area set aside for people on there lunch hour

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I live a mile from the business park I presume you are talking about Blyth Valley.
Does make me laugh some of the comments of people who clearly have no idea of what they are talking about.
Within the last two years Solihull was voted the best place to live in the UK by the Times I believe.
There is in fact a wide life conversation Area set aside for people on there lunch hour

I think everyone that has commented so far knows what they are talking about! :)

Reactions: bopdude

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i live in Coventry and work in Solihul. I must say, not my favourite part of the world, but!!! it is pretty handy for getting to places. Wales, the Lakes , the Peaks, the south coast etc are all within 2-3hrs drive. There are some nice spots within 30 min drive, a couple of decent woods (inc Cannock Chase). Spend a couple of weekends up here and have an explore. i can point you to a few locations if it helps, but i generally find it best to get a feel for an area yourself.

Reactions: Nomad64 and Broch

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cheers TinkyPete, I might just do that.

Markinsol,
Thanks for chiming in!

Not sure if where they are going to build the new office is classed as part of the Blythe estate, I tend to think not, but it is close. Mind you, I don't expect that it will be possible to walk to that conservation area :(

I saw that in the Times too, Solihul being voted a good place to live. I took it with a pinch of salt since I reckoned that many of the things that people (who vote in such polls) care about are not high on my own list of priorities. There seems to be a high emphasis on places to eat, night life, the Arts, fun-days outs for children, and good schools, none of which feature in my selection criteria. :lmao:

Having lived on the very edge of a small town, it is hard to embrace the idea of living within the M42, even though I can see that there are some nice houses close to work. Nice, and within price range. Folk say that moving north makes houses cheaper, but price per area is pretty close to the same as where I am, maybe a little more expensive.

Thanks to everyone for giving thoughts. I knew that I was asking a really open ended question and was quite happy with the prospect of conflicting reports ;) It isn't as if I was asking something clear and specific, like, what is it like to live in Leamington Spa. The only fixed point is where I would need to commute to. The "where to live" part covers a LOT of ground, and places change over time too.

Ideally I would spend some weekends cruising around and looking the area over, but I think I am going to get pressed for a decision before I have the chance to do so. We were told about the move months ago. For me the severance package was much more generous than the relocation package, and along with concerns about changes to the work and perceived housing costs it wasn't hard to say I wouldn't go. Then two weeks ago the management made a fresh pitch on incentives, assistance, and what the job would be, and along with all the uncertainty about the engineering sector post Brexit the decision isn't so easy.:bluethinking:...:argue:...:aargh:

:beerchug: chaps!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We moved from a very bushcraft friendly part of Sweden to a very crowded area, E. Sussex in UK. Zero bushcraft possibility as I saw it.
Adopted. Then another move to an even worse place nature wise.

Imo work gives us the means to do our hobbies.
Move, and you will find nice areas within driving distance.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
The company I work for is going to be relocating from Hertfordshire to Solihul, right next to the M42. They are trying to persuade the staff to relocate too. I have been looking at a map and Google plotting places I can afford within 30 minutes (call it 20 miles) of J4.

Anyone here live anywhere in this area? (east of Birmingham, south of Coventry, north of Stratford, :D)

Something that it seems certain that I will miss, if I move, is easy access to nice countryside and woods for walks. For the last 18 years I have lived within 20 minutes drive of various Chiltern beech woods and enjoy popping out for a bimble when the mood takes me. A friend who used to live in Aylesbury and who then moved to Northampton says that is something he has really missed. No woods and not many places to walk and get away from the crowds. It is the same up in Leicestershire where my folks live, just that their area is more rural than anywhere near Solihul.

Am I being pessimistic? Are there opportunities up there for outdoor adventures that I am not seeing?

Cheers

Chris

I was in a similar position to you a decade ago faced with a relocation to London on decent terms or a generous redundancy package. I took it as an opportunity to take stock and decide what I really wanted to do with my life.

For me, the decision was pretty easy and I decided to jump off the corporate treadmill while I was still young, fit and strong enough to enjoy living and working outdoors and able to learn new skills.

I’m currently reading Hovel in the Hills, by Elizabeth West who with her husband opted out of the rat race in the 1960s and bought a rundown cottage in North Wales. The book was written in 1977 and the forward by John Seymour (self-sufficiency guru) may provide food for thought.

“Working on the assumption (and it is only an assumption) that we have one life each it is important to every one of us that we do the best with it. If society says to us: “We are prepared to look after you from the cradle to the grave provided you live in a boring place and work at a boring job” then we should consider very seriously whether this is a bargain we want to accept. The author of this book has declined to accept it, and she is one of a growing number of people who have decided not to make this bargain. In the first place, she and her husband answered the question “Where shall we live?” not with the answer: “We will have to live where our work is” but with the answer: “We will live in a beautiful place of our own choosing.”

People who do this are always asked by their friends: “Yes – but what will you do to earn a living?” Now the only way to answer that question is by going and finding out.”

More of JS’s musings on work-life balance in the link below - the one thing that I would add is that in the 40 years since he was writing, the pursuit of happiness through the accumulation of material stuff (there is so much more consumer tat available now than in the 1970s), seems to have increased exponentially - as has depression and other mental illness.

https://elpocito.wordpress.com/2016/06/19/the-right-to-live-where-and-how-we-choose/

Good luck with whatever you choose but don’t be afraid to think the unthinkable! :)

PS IMHO - there is at least as much to keep outdoorsy minded folk entertained in and around the Midlands as in Bucks/Herts and (motorways permitting!) you are closer to the wilder corners of the UK in the south west, north and Wales. Just my 2d. :)

Last edited:

markinsol

Sep 2, 2018
Solihull
If you do decide to visit the area I recommend you look to the South of the M42
Henley on Arden, and all the small villages in the Warwickshire Area are within 10 min of your workplace. The cotswolds within 45 min
The Birmingham side of the the M42 is like any large city.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
i live in Coventry and work in Solihul. I must say, not my favourite part of the world, but!!! it is pretty handy for getting to places. Wales, the Lakes , the Peaks, the south coast etc are all within 2-3hrs drive. There are some nice spots within 30 min drive, a couple of decent woods (inc Cannock Chase). Spend a couple of weekends up here and have an explore. i can point you to a few locations if it helps, but i generally find it best to get a feel for an area yourself.
I lived in Cov. for years Foleshill, bellgreen and binley I used to shoot on the fields just past binley woods and had another really quiet fields and woods with a stream just after the speedway

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
People who do this are always asked by their friends: “Yes – but what will you do to earn a living?” Now the only way to answer that question is by going and finding out.”

I often ask this myself when I look at the local economies of people I know who have opted out of the metropolis. Seems like a lot of the time the answer is write a successful autobiographical novel :lol:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I lived in Cov. for years Foleshill, bellgreen and binley I used to shoot on the fields just past binley woods and had another really quiet fields and woods with a stream just after the speedway
I still live in that general area, I know the woods around Binley well. However in these latter days you need to be following the Woodland Custodianship thread to know what I am up to, as I am creating my own Woodland, well perhaps not for my lifetime but for those who come after me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE