This is a tough one !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Just finished polishing the blade of my first forged knife , it was up to 800grit before heat treat , should I leave it like this or should I sand it again ? I really can't decide I dont want someone to think the blade is not finished and on other hand its very unique this way , help me decide :)

e8f713298b66.jpg

2af42346c245.jpg

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Leave it . O definitely leave it ... a bit of rustication will likely help a sale, and this way you can see its soul

If you turn the picture upside down, about 1/3rd of the way from the tip you can see the image of a kingfisher's head, clear as day. Maybe one of the birders here can make a better identification.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Leave it . O definitely leave it ... a bit of rustication will likely help a sale, and this way you can see its soul

If you turn the picture upside down, about 1/3rd of the way from the tip you can see the image of a kingfisher's head, clear as day. Maybe one of the birders here can make a better identification.

Looks like a little owl to me,
tried to upload cropped pic but photobucket of poo will not let me log in...again.
As per others leave it as is, smart looking blade, nice job.
Rob.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That's more like it. Though it is a bit like the man in the moon. Everyone can see it, but ask ten people and you'll get fifteen different opinions about what exactly they are looking at :lol:

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Leave it, it makes it unique to you, the maker. If you polish off all the patterns, it’ll look more like a production knife, which it clearly isn’t.

The bevels look good and show your craftsmanship anyway, so it’s never going to look lazy on your part.

Now get working on convex grinds and the patterns will look even better. :p

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes I have a lot of it but only light color im out of the darker ones , will light walnut look good?

Pic of the whole knife profile would be handy. I’m a fan of darker woods on blades with pattern or Damascus, it lets the silvery bits show up better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE